The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 23, 2017, 05:56:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The ball point pen  (Read 1319 times)
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: February 23, 2017, 08:24:04 pm »

Recently somebody commented on the fact I was using a ball point pen, and the "fact" that it was not very "Victorian" of me to do so - I "should be using a 'fountain pen" instead.  Roll Eyes

After pointing out that 'Steampunk' and 'Neo-Victorianism' are not the same thing, though they do have similarities in common, I also informed them that the first ball point pen was actually patented in 1888. This got me thinking, it would be a good idea to post up some information here for others who may find it tedious to receive the odd comment about ball pointed writing implements being "wrong" for Steampunks to use.

I'm lazy and most of this is simply from the Wikipedia article. (also useful to point others to that page and save yourself an effort).

John Jacob Loud (November 2, 1844 – August 10, 1916) was an American inventor known for designing the first ballpoint pen.

Trained as a lawyer at Harvard College, Loud worked at the Union National Bank in Weymouth, Massachusetts as a cashier. He was also active in his community as a member of his church, a trustee of many local organizations, and as a member of local historical societies. Loud invented and obtained a patent for what is considered to be the first ballpoint pen in 1888; however his invention was not commercialized and the patent would eventually lapse. The modern ballpoint pen would be patented later in 1938 by László Bíró, 22 years following Loud's death.

Keenly interested in inventing, on October 30, 1888, Loud obtained the first patent (US #392,046) for a ballpoint pen[n1][6] when attempting to make a writing instrument that would be able to write on leather products, which then-common fountain pens could not. Loud's pen had a small rotating steel ball, held in place by a socket. In the patent, he noted:

My invention consists of an improved reservoir or fountain pen, especially useful, among other purposes, for marking on rough surfaces-such as wood, coarse wrapping-paper, and other articles where an ordinary pen could not be used.[7]

Although his invention could be used to mark rough surfaces such as leather, as he had originally intended, it proved to be too coarse for letter-writing. With no commercial viability, its potential went unexploited[8][9] and the patent eventually lapsed.[10]

Loud's patent of the ballpoint pen, 1888

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_J._Loud

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 11:59:03 pm »

That's good news, because I have a $90 fountain pen I found in the rubbish can at my workplace. The body of the pen is beautiful, but the nib is shot, and it's got one of those re-loading cartridges (nib attached to cartridge) which is rather messy. Conversion is required  Grin

Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 12:34:08 pm »

I remember one of those threads from a few years back where someone tried to say what was and wasn't 'Steampunk'.

There was quite a long conversation about the inappropriate wearing of baseball caps....

..which were first introduced in 1860.  Grin

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 03:16:53 pm »

I remember one of those threads from a few years back where someone tried to say what was and wasn't 'Steampunk'.

There was quite a long conversation about the inappropriate wearing of baseball caps....

I don't care when they were invented. Baseball caps are never appropriate . 
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 08:56:56 pm »

I don't care when they were invented. Baseball caps are never appropriate . 

What if you're playing baseball?  Smiley
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 01:02:39 am »

I wear baseball caps - they fill the gap between a white cotton drill uni hat and something more formal. I have very light sensitive eyes, so need to shade them over and above sunnies (sunglasses). Most of my baseball caps are uni caps or from places I have been - some mongrel stole my Trinity College Dublin one, so I will have to get another one in June!
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 05:21:32 pm »

How did this go from ballpoint pens to baseball caps?

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 06:01:05 pm »

It's because this is Brass Goggles. Wink

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2017, 07:03:09 pm »

And a cap, baseball or not, is handy place to store a ballpoint or pencil whilst working.

Simply slide chosen scribe up and around the ear area, easily found when needed in an area of disorderly disarray of destruction or construction.

Now where are my Spectacles?...............

Oh yes. On top of my head......  Roll Eyes

Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 08:23:20 pm »

I took the thread as being more about people trying to tell others what is, or is not, acceptable in Steampunk.

Ballpoint pens, baseball caps, etc.....
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 09:12:10 pm »

What if it is a ballpoint pen with a picture of a victorian lady and when you turn the pen upside down her skirt slides off and you see her bloomers?

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2017, 02:16:41 pm »

What if it is a ballpoint pen with a picture of a victorian lady and when you turn the pen upside down her skirt slides off and you see her bloomers?

And what if she's wearing a baseball cap.....
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2017, 03:48:52 pm »

Point taken...
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2017, 11:49:47 pm »

I love this forum.  Grin Cheesy
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2017, 04:47:17 am »

And what if she's wearing a baseball cap.....

That's just a Victorian souvenir  Roll Eyes But now, if you try to raise a lady's bustle skirt with you ball-point pen, then you will get a baseball bat to the head! The baseball cap will not be much protection, I fear.

This will be the first thing you'll see after you wake up. The lady's husband.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 04:56:28 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: