The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 06:44:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1st Gurkha Rifles officer?  (Read 558 times)
Mme. Ratchet
Officer
United States United States

« on: February 17, 2017, 04:30:43 am »

So I am wanting to do a sort of creative re-imagining of an officer's uniform in the 1st Gurkha Rifles. But I'm having difficulty with the research element of it. Can anyone help? I can provide more details a little later.
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 05:20:37 am »

There seem to be quite a few uniforms to choose from over the years.  This book might be a good start:  https://ospreypublishing.com/the-gurkhas-pb 

-Karl
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 06:00:27 am »

I have that book and know some of the historical context. I need help with the creative part. I need ideas and help figuring out how to make it.
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 06:16:06 am »

I have that book and know some of the historical context. I need help with the creative part. I need ideas and help figuring out how to make it.

That is pretty wide open.

What all do you have to start with?

A unit of Gurkhas are automatically cooler than a single Gurkha.  Any friends interested?

IF it were me I might be tempted by one of the over sized ceremonial swords.  Maybe a removable "Doc Brown" brass scope for a rifle.  BTW - which rifle are you planning on?

Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 11:28:24 pm »

I have quite a bit of Nepalese-related things of the period, actually. Currently it consists of a pair of Kukris (A long leaf and a bhojpure, both originals), a Nepalese Snider Enfield (like pictured), a Gahendra, a Martini-Francotte, a Mk II Martini-Henry and a Mk IV Martini-Henry, and bayonets for all of them. So I have a rifle to start with, for sure. I find the Gahendra to be the most interesting so would probably utilize that.

Finding friends to do anything to the effect of a group of Gurkhas would be... difficult. Most of my steampunk friends locally are not all that enthused by the idea, and are not all that interested at all in that area of the world, much less in the Victorian period. So I'm mostly on my own.

A big part of this is that my persona leads a small company of Gurkha mercenaries, and so I thought a creative re-interpretation of a Confederate turned renegade Gurkha mercenary captain would be rather fun and interesting.
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 04:51:11 am »

It sounds like you have the toys to start with.

There seem to be a few like minded folks like: https://www.facebook.com/kurt.stevens.148?hc_ref=SEARCH

I have an old Army friend who also got into SP who has the 19th century officer thing down but he lives in Bowling Green.  I haven't seen him a while so we are looking forward to camping with the gang at Gulf Wars next month. 

I feel for you since I do Landsknecht in the SCA and we are spread far and wide.  Maybe start a FaceBook page; "build it and they will come." 
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 11:22:44 pm »

I have an old Army friend who also got into SP who has the 19th century officer thing down but he lives in Bowling Green.

I hope that he wasn't injured in the Bowling Green massacre.
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 12:28:25 am »

It sounds like you have the toys to start with.

There seem to be a few like minded folks like: https://www.facebook.com/kurt.stevens.148?hc_ref=SEARCH

I have an old Army friend who also got into SP who has the 19th century officer thing down but he lives in Bowling Green.  I haven't seen him a while so we are looking forward to camping with the gang at Gulf Wars next month. 

I feel for you since I do Landsknecht in the SCA and we are spread far and wide.  Maybe start a FaceBook page; "build it and they will come." 

Kurt is a very good friend of mine! Cheesy

Landsknecht in the SCA would be fun. I do viking and want to do German, as well.

The biggest thing is that I don't want to build a straight historical copy of the outfit, but a creative re-imagining of it based on my persona's origins in the Confederacy. The story there is that she fled the Confederacy in the final months, commandeered a ship and sailed to England, and from there to the British territories in Africa and Asia. I have a personal fascination with the Nepalese army of the time period, so I felt it fit. So it'd be a blend of Confederate uniform/drill blended with Nepalese/Gurkha uniform/drill. But how to go about it is beyond me. I also can't draw, so I don't really have a way to experiment with images on paper. :/
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 03:56:50 am »

The British army was still selling commissions until 6 years after the US Civil War so an expatriate southern gentleman could have found new employment.  Being decorated or having English relatives could have helped.  Uniformity among British officers was a little less than absolute.   Roll Eyes

Chainmail epaulettes are a must.   Wink

Check out:  http://www.landsknecht.org/ 

Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 04:17:30 am »

Well, expatriate southern lady in this context. I do certainly like where you're going with this, and those chainmail epaulettes are a must!
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 07:49:59 am »

My apologizes, I was not following how you wanted to portray an officer.

My wife does a French Mary variation.

http://www.historynet.com/fearless-french-mary.htm

She sometimes adds a 'turban wrap" and carries a Sindhi jezail.  The SP Cruise security frowns on jezails though. 
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 08:05:14 am »

I love my jezail. It's Afghani and probably came out of the khyber pass, though. It just hangs on my wall and looks cool. My gun friends usually look at it and go "what on earth is that?"
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 08:15:48 am »

My apologizes, I was not following how you wanted to portray an officer.

My wife does a French Mary variation.

http://www.historynet.com/fearless-french-mary.htm

She sometimes adds a 'turban wrap" and carries a Sindhi jezail.  The SP Cruise security frowns on jezails though. 

That is a fascinating piece of history, and quite morbid at the end. :/
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 06:50:15 am »

I love my jezail. It's Afghani and probably came out of the khyber pass, though. It just hangs on my wall and looks cool. My gun friends usually look at it and go "what on earth is that?"

It sounds like you have a bit of a collection too.  How many people might you be able to gear up?  It might even be an excuse opportunity to add to your collection. 
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2017, 09:11:23 am »

Just me. My friends aren't interested in Nepalese stuff and Gurkhas.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: