The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 20, 2017, 10:21:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nonsense Steampunk words needed  (Read 836 times)
NoirMagus
Deck Hand
New Zealand New Zealand

« on: February 08, 2017, 12:53:41 am »

In one scene in my novel the hero creates a diversion by sabotaging a boiler control panel. The villain then directs his minions to turn various wheels and valves to rectify the problem. Rather than saying turn the red wheel and shut the brass valve I want something more ridiculous/creative. So far I have only come up with the auxiliary frunge wheel. I thought inventing nonsense suggestions might be something people would have fun with while helping me out of my uninspirational mire.
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 09:22:33 am »

Maybe the villain is a foreigner? Herr doctor, for example. Then it is possible to give accent. Will tell the das wheel.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 10:11:33 am »

Secure base readings at balance.
Rotate the differential interchange thirty degrees.
Keep pressure two bars above optimum for one complete revolution.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 11:43:13 am »

That's the thing. Given that I'm an engineer in real life, I have a bit of a problem making up nonsensical names for things / machines that already exist. It kinda' floats my ballast the wrong way  Grin

MoonlitRain
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 06:06:32 pm »

"Rotate the Gunschweitz mechanism ten degrees!" "Secure the phangalating valve!" and "Turn the orlogation wheel now!"
NoirMagus
Deck Hand
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 11:54:59 pm »

That's the thing. Given that I'm an engineer in real life, I have a bit of a problem making up nonsensical names for things / machines that already exist. It kinda' floats my ballast the wrong way

I can understand this, but the counter argument is that as Steampunk is not historical fiction there is no reason to assume the inventions or inventors are the same. Completely different engineering solutions may have been found. If Tesla hadn't existed maybe the Tesla coil would be the the Frankengrubel coil.
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 10:46:08 pm »

Resublimate the catalysts. The transverse coupling is going critical!!

Damn what the the indicators say, she's a good ship and won't lose her structural integrity while we need her.

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 02:28:26 pm »

I'm still not convinced. When stringed together in series all this fake technical jargon can become downright silly. You have to at least know how words are used and know the difference between an object, a system, and a process, to avoid sounding like you're having a psychotic breakdown.

Case in point: There is a famous episode of Star Trek The Next Generation, in which Captain Picard needs to have a heart operation due to an old injury when he was young. It was one of the earliest episodes, "Samaritan Snare" and the writers decided to completely invent the medical jargon - whereas in many other episodes, they actually employed actual scientists to describe space physics, mathematics, etc. In this particular episode the "technical advisers" were comnpletely out of the loop, and the writers needed to come up with medical jargon for an open heart operation in the 24th (?) Century. Even if you suspend belief for a second, the jargon starts including actual medical terms, and slowly they introduce imaginary terminology. The jargon, then becomes non-sensical and a bit absurd, in my opinion:

Transcript excerpts:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Terms like "Neural calipers," "thoracic polychromatics," "metabolation occlusions" stand in stark contrast with more realistic names like "myocardial enzyme balance," which actually makes sense.

It almost sounds like the writers don't even know what a caliper is used for. Are you measuring, or sedating the brain? Thoracic polychromatics sounds like children were finger painting on your tummy. Do the writers know what occlusion means?  How can you have  "metabolation occlusions"? I guess metabolation is a substitute for metabolic process. They make it sound like metabolism is not a process, but rather some organ in your body. It's like saying that you have "inflammation of the fever"  Undecided  And don't get me started on "Heterocyclics"  Roll Eyes
Steelmage99
Gunner
Denmark Denmark

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 12:27:47 am »

I will leave this here, and promise to come back later with actual useful input later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW2LvQUcwqc&list=FL-JZpBrdDk1j6G3Q3w-fiiQ&index=106

I like Rockwell Automations initiative, but everyone knows that while a renticulated gambled dingle arm increases refluxant dispersion as a means of reducing cina soil deplenoration, its a modest improvement at best that comes at the sacrifice of decreased leptoid camprition which increases the risk of side fumbling. Huge mistake by Rockwell Automation imho
Peter Brassbeard
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 01:55:15 am »

Do you want terms that can be used consistently in context, or Steam Babble?
NoirMagus
Deck Hand
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 08:19:26 am »

I just wanted steam babble but I'm all done on this book now.

Its gone off the printers for the advanced reading copies so the only changes that will get made will be correcting typos.

Thanks.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: