The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 11:47:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Making Fake a books & Covers  (Read 693 times)
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« on: February 04, 2017, 11:54:33 pm »

Actually I'm sorta wanting help on the matter with a goal of showing a step by step once done.

Idea being 'OK fine I could tear apart a book nobody will miss, recover it, line it, and so forth for a tablet case. However would ai be able to make something more interesting if I made one from scratch?'

Idea started while looking up how to use contact paper to fix a few cracks and breaks in my tablet's casing (mine needs glue to fuse actual broken bits but still.) That got me to thinking maybe use kinkos to print a book cover/spine/back sized design. Then build a case around that.

My wants are to have some rigidity.

My tablet has a nonstandard charging end (thanks barns and noble.) So having some outer protection would be nice, bit of would have to not intrude on the charging port or the volume keys.

I am, sadly, somewhat hard on devices so something with a bit more protection than cardboard would be nice if I could still keep within 'book' sizes. Not sure on this one. Mostly just want something more secure than 'four elastic bands at the corners' tablet holder.

Being able to have it hold itself shut while carrying would be nice. That way it takes a tumble it won't spit the tablet out.

And idea: Pirate/Libra box built into a book like case that has a pi zero. WiFi nub. And long duration battery. Something that u could have on a shoulder bag and oh hey everyone now has access to your reading collection, podcasts, and how-to instructions on things.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated since I am sure it would be a simple project for the basic form, but if you want to get highly crafty and make an electronic edition of the necronomicon or a curiosities and occorances journal tablet cover that's be totally doable.

Cheapie Theatre
Want something to read? Got ten minutes to kill? Here you go!
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 02:43:53 pm »

Hmm. How heavy would you want it- or perhaps, how heavy would be too heavy? That would cut down on the materials to choose from.
Then it becomes easier to decide which way to go.

How about thick leather?

HP

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
Lord Pentecost
Snr. Officer

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 04:16:10 pm »

How about foamboard as a base material? light weight and fairly strong, the foam core should give a certain amount of shock resistance, but you could line it with thin EVA foam to improve that. The whole thing could them be covered with leather or fabric to look like a book cover.

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no-one told them to" - Banksy
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 06:14:08 pm »

I actually have (unsure of name) thin board. Breadboard? Can use that as a core. There's cardboard to act as support for the fabric liner.

Then again may just make one out of a book nobody will miss since this is my first project in god knows how long.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 08:14:44 pm »

I actually have (unsure of name) thin board. Breadboard?
If you mean the stuff they make breadboards out of, that would probably be ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene, commonly referred to as UHMW.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
steiconi
Gunner
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 08:22:16 pm »

I've been thinking of making a new cover for my tablet.  The tricky part would be to perfectly place the camera lens holes.  Though I never use it as a camera, so maybe that isn't really an issue.

I make a purse calendar every year; last year, I used an old hard book cover.  It weighed a ton, I won't do that again.  

I'm thinking for the tablet, I would use some of that thin, flexible foam that's used in shipping (I have some somewhere), plus a more rigid board, like a couple of layers of cereal box cardboard.  I suspect corrugated cardboard would give enough protection, but I'd like a waterproof layer.  I would then cover the whole thing with fabric or leather.

The cover would need to be in 3 pieces, like a book:  front cover, back cover, and spine.  Leave a tiny gap (2mm or 1/16th inch) between pieces to allow free movement (if they butt together, they'll want to stay flat).  Use fabric to hinge the 3 pieces together.

I haven't worked out just how to hold the tablet in the cover.  My commercial cover is faux leather die-cut to fit the tablet; maybe I will hand-cut leather.  Or use strips of leather around the 4 sides.

the commercial cover has a little magnet(?) thing that shuts off the tablet when I close the cover.  That's cool, but it doesn't hold the cover shut.  I would probably use an elastic or velcro'd band.

It's a plan in progress, I look forward to other ideas here!
Mr. Phikset
Gunner

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 04:50:48 am »

Regarding such a project, why not put forth the effort into researching how hard cover bookbinding was (and is) done? If what you are looking primarily to do is to make a nice case/cover for your galvanic book, my thought would be to start with a thing gauge of press board/MDF (1/16" would be sufficient but 1/8" is more common) and make 3 pieces (front, back, and spine). As far as size, I would tend towards sizing it to your device by adding 3/4" on each side top, right, and bottom and 1/4" at the spine. Using a desirable wood make a frame just large enough to cradle the device with enough depth to accommodate the device plus a cushion of a nice thick felt to provide cushion to the device. With that wooden frame one could secure the corners of the device with strips of brass where you are accustomed to the elastic being. Be sure to leave a gap in the cradling structure where the charging port is as once the device is installed, removal will be less than convenient.
Using a canvas on the inside portion to form a hinge between the rear cover, spine, and front cover, be sure to leave about a 1/16" gap between each panel to ensure it will be able to close without binding up. Once the fabric hinge is made, you can move on to covering it with a fine leather. A supple goatskin is a lovely choice. After the leather is secured you can move on to finishing the inside of the cover. A fine silk brocade would be lovely, though marbled papaer would be sufficient.

This is a project that I have been looking into doing myself for my device, though I have not organized my time sufficiently yet to undertake it as of yet.

When asked how long something will take, always tell them longer than what you think it will take.  That way if something goes wrong you have time to fix it and if everything goes smoothly then you look like a miracle worker.
 - Scotty
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 07:56:52 pm »

Annoyed at how poorly these scissors are cutting cloth. Looking up ways to sharpen and while cutting folded foil seems to be helping apparently they are super dull since test strip of fabric is still being chewed rather than cut.
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 08:11:52 pm »

Get the scissors sharpened or buy a suitable sharpener. Most cookery shops sell some sort of knife and scissors sharpener.  Mine is a couple of decades old and still in regular use.
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 04:15:23 am »

And whatever scissors you use for cloth - hide them away so they can't be used for anything else.
steiconi
Gunner
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 05:19:54 am »

I lock my sewing shears in the case with my sewing machine, or they'd be discovered out in the garden or at the back of the garage, pitted, chipped, and very, very dull.
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2017, 08:10:52 pm »

Aha- browsing in a local craft barn, I saw this, and thought of you  Grin  :-

In the decoupage area.

HP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: