The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 10:53:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bodice fastening ideas  (Read 467 times)
Madam Takara
Snr. Officer
England England

Lady Aveline Tamara Claudia Read III... or Madam T

« on: February 03, 2017, 05:37:01 am »

Hi all

I'm just about to finish an 1880s style bustle dress from Simplicity 5457, and I've decided I don't have the heart to put a zip in the back like the instructions tell you to....I mean it doesn't quite look at home on a Victorian dress (especially one I've slaved over x.x)

So I wondered if anyone had any other bodice fastening ideas. I'd usually lace it, but it has a yoke and I think laces would just tug it in weird shapes. Not sure I'm confident hooks and eyes will hold it either, and the opening is at the back. I've thought about small buttons but...

Anyway, I'd appreciate any suggestions. Just thought I'd drop a post here before I finished it in case there might be something I haven't thought of.

Thanks! Smiley

Medicate with tea ♥

......don't piss me off.....or I shall put you in my next book.....
frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 12:14:52 am »

If you have little buttons up the back it looks very nice, but on the other hand do you have a maid to help you dress?  Think practical.  Sew up the back and have your opening under the arm or down the front.  I have outfits with a zip up the front and then have bows, buttons and loops etc that I can see to do up but which hide the zip.
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 07:43:24 am »

Velcro - for those bodice-ripping moments..?   Wink

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
steiconi
Gunner
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 06:59:05 pm »

I agree--a visible zip down the back would be a buzzkill.

You could do a placket to hide the zip, topped with buttons to make it look period.  Use flat buttons; bumpy ones can be uncomfortable when you lean back in a chair.  (Though a proper lady would never lean back in her chair.)  You might need a few snaps or velcro spots to keep the placket flat.
Madam Takara
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 01:13:47 pm »

If you have little buttons up the back it looks very nice, but on the other hand do you have a maid to help you dress?  Think practical.  Sew up the back and have your opening under the arm or down the front.  I have outfits with a zip up the front and then have bows, buttons and loops etc that I can see to do up but which hide the zip.

Having the opening under the arm would have e been perfect if it weren't for the sleeves! Ah well. The way the front is constructed might make it a bit...Interesting if I snipped it open now. Thanks though, I think you're onto something with hiding the zip.. Smiley
Thanks for the help Smiley
Madam Takara
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 01:14:22 pm »

Velcro - for those bodice-ripping moments..?   Wink

O: oh my!
Madam Takara
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 01:16:36 pm »

I agree--a visible zip down the back would be a buzzkill.

You could do a placket to hide the zip, topped with buttons to make it look period.  Use flat buttons; bumpy ones can be uncomfortable when you lean back in a chair.  (Though a proper lady would never lean back in her chair.)  You might need a few snaps or velcro spots to keep the placket flat.

That might be a good idea, thank you Cheesy I'll certainly look into that (I have tiny pearly buttons put aside for it, but to be honest they should be fine, I'm not a sloucher, especially in corsets!)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: