The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 21, 2017, 01:01:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mortal engines  (Read 873 times)
selectedgrub
« on: February 02, 2017, 10:09:41 am »

This guy, Peter Jackson director of a famous yawnfest trilogy Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit
Well be aware that he has announced the film adaptation of Fatal mechanics ,

The first volume of a series of four crap novels written by Philip Reeve.

The history of Mortal Engines takes place in a post-apocalyptic future.
The stuff some people leak over.
A nuclear cataclysm known as the 60-minute War has ravaged and raped the planet. Again.
Since then, natural disasters, earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, tsunamis and stuff have multiplied like they have since the beginning of time.
So to survive, cities have become mobile, mounted on gigantic caterpillars. Woop
Resources are scarce so the total novel idea springs up that steam is again the main source of energy.

In this new society, the biggest cities chase and phagocyte the smaller ones in order to extend their power.
It will be epic I can see the cosplayers now flocking to this forum once again.

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 09:18:41 pm »

Should this go in the "Steampunk goes mainstream thread?"   Grin

Meh. Can't complain if that means I can go back to selling Steampunk wares. But personally I'd like to see a better story than just a post apocalyptic story, as so many barfy movies have come out of that precise premise. I'd love to see a historical Steampunk plot along the lines of the 19th century global war novel I'm thinking /trying /procrastinating on. Entertain educate and fascinate would be a better approach to Steampunk than just a "waterworld/mad max" scenario.

cossoft
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 02:12:46 am »

The first volume of a series of four crap novels written by Philip Reeve.

Do not scoff o ye of little faith.  Have you read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by another Philip?  Its' crap too.  Add iconic imagery, stunning sound track and some ad-libbing and you get a distopian classic that has defined a genre.
19th Century Space Pilot
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Cererean
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 10:17:18 pm »

You don't seem to happy about Mortal Engines.

Since it was what introduced me to steampunk, I'm not going to criticise it.

Now for some shameless self promotion... http://needsmoremarshmallows.blogspot.co.uk/

- Aetheric Aviatrix
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: