The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 01:51:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: What is your preferred weapon when\if you are in character?
Ray gun
Pneumatic gun
Ballistic gun
Sword
Energy sword
Paranormal weapon
Wrench
Other

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is your preferred weapon when\if you are in character?  (Read 840 times)
Harbinger_99
Deck Hand
United States United States

Gravatar

« on: February 01, 2017, 09:55:28 am »

I'm interested to see what you all will chose as your weapon of choice. Please, if you feel like it, explain your choice. Grin
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 12:27:09 am »

I'm interested to see what you all will chose as your weapon of choice. Please, if you feel like it, explain your choice. Grin

The wrench doesn't LOOK like a weapon, but it is very effective as a mace: as an airship mechanic, I'd look silly without tools, now wouldn't I? 

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 04:12:09 am »

Speaking of mechanics, besides spanners and blunt objects like mallots, airship maintenance crew have plenty of pointy bits to stab someone. Knives to cut fabric, and blades of all sorts are the most obvious. There's also giant needles used for the envelope, used to stab. Cables and ropes can be used to lay traps and capture or bind an invader, plus the occasional staple gun can be used to shoot nails.

The elf-like Luftschiffengel from Austria and Hungary are master hunters and archers too, though they'd have to go to their quarters to get their bows and cross-bows.

But that's a moot point when considering that Austrian crews serving on the Axis (Austria/France/Mexico/Confederate States) and at least the former captive/refugee Austrian officers serving on the Union side (United States/Prussia/United Kingdom) are usually carrying guns
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 04:22:17 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Captain
Zeppelin Captain

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 05:40:26 am »

I have practiced long and hard with my Uncle to be able to answer "yes" to what is my preferred weapon. 

-Karl
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 06:05:22 am »

As a Mad Scientist, I am contractually obligated to carry an experimental prototype weapon which embodies the aphorism, "There is no such thing as overkill," and which is at least as dangerous to those behind me as to those before me.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 07:02:32 am »

As a Mad Scientist, I am contractually obligated to carry an experimental prototype weapon which embodies the aphorism, "There is no such thing as overkill," and which is at least as dangerous to those behind me as to those before me.

Our friend, Arvis, whom we haven’t seen at BG in some time, started building a rifle. He wanted to build an actual working prototype of a rifle capable of shooting high speed projectiles like a steel or aluminium plug with steam, and asked me how to do it. Side-skirting the issue of steam, I actually casually mentioned how to build a shock tube  Roll Eyes Thankfully he's only carved the rifle butt  Grin It's a good thing he didn't study engineering and he's too busy with family life  Grin
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 12:06:27 am »

Due to the varied nature of random encounters in the world, my reply is predicated upon the situation!

In the mundane day-to-day encounters of everyday ( steamy ) life I always have a  stout lock-blade folding knife and "folding toolkit" ( ie leatherman). I have several damascus lockblades I am working on but nothing completed as yet; but steaming the leatherman will have to be limited to decorating  it's home-made leather pouch.

In  the workshop/lab I have a toolbelt upon which I habitually carry (in addition to tools) a stout Bowie or Bolo sheath-knife and a short-barreled Remington 1858 New Model Army .44 cap-and-ball revolver, as one never knows when the peasants may storm the fortress lab, or some experiment may get out of hand... I was forced to chop the roots off a man-eating hybiscus once.... then there was the homonculus I had to shoot in the head 3 times in order to get his attention so we could discuss things....

When going out upon an expedition I try to determine the actual level of threats that we may encounter, and equip our team appropriately.
For example, most of the time, whilst hunting butterflies , a broad-brimmed hat,  stout snake stick and standard issue  net is all that is added. Curious locals ( "watcha doing mister?" ; "can I interest you in some life insurance?" ; " get off my lawn!" ) and prosthletizers ( " have you found Cthulu?" ) are readily bought off with sweets ( "care for a jelly baby?" ) and/or shiny trinkets ( "here's a quarter kid, now get away yer botherin' me" )

The remington and bowie are always in the belt, occasionally a stout machete and belt axe are added as required.

However, if hostiles may be encountered ( ie, bears, lions, pirates, indigenous neanderthals, squirrels,  or tax collectors ) I find it wise to add "the Remington Case"  containing four to six more Remington 1858's of varying barrel lengths, spare loaded cylinders, and the Remington Revolving Carbine which has proven safe and effective  accurate out to 150 meters. If large Carnivores might be present, such as the Giant Fanged Buffalo, then the .54 caliber Model 1863 Percussion Sharps Cthulu Rifle and ammunition is included.

One can then safely engage in the Art of Percussive Diplomacy. I find it efficacious to begin with a warning "shot across the bows" as it were. Often, a recalcitrant Bear, or Charging Hypothetical can be put off by the loud noise :
   ( "OMG Henry let's leave, that crazy man is shooting!"
     "No worries Madam it's all part of the show and they are only blanks!"
)

The next phase of negotiation is oft' the Bullet In the Dirt ( Dance Varmint!), which (during a cougar encounter, for example) kicks sand in their face sprays dirt and gravel on them and frequently causes them pause to reconsider and retreat.

One can also utilize the Carbine to neutralize a hostile's mount from a distance ( "you barstich! you shot out my tyre!" )

Finally, it is often efficacious to include a variety of ammunition, from armor-piercing ( for pirate tanks) to incendiary ( for pirate zepplins) to the ultimate black-hole projectile ( for wild Cthulu's ) .

You may note that I am relying upon edged devices and projectile weapons. This is due to past less-than-desireable experiences with
energy weapons that ran down the batteries  failed to be effective for other (former) members of the team ( may they rest in pieces) .

photos to follow.

yhs
prof marvel

« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 12:11:56 am by Prof Marvel » Logged

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 06:22:32 am »

Gosh!  Roll Eyes  You make it sound like you're related to Yosemite Sam  Cheesy

Yosemite Sam
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 07:19:03 am »

Gosh!  Roll Eyes  You make it sound like you're related to Yosemite Sam  Cheesy

Oh, you mean old Uncle Sammy?

DANCE VARMINT!

some photos as promised
one of my bowies

another bowie and 2 elk antler buckles

stone hilted dagger and sheath

dagger and sheath on belt with self built "slim jim" holsters for full size "8 inch barrel" remmies.

my own primitive copy of the "White Hunter" built out of a prybar as a "rough woods knife"

It is literally meant to be a "sharpened prybar"

two of my short barreled remmies

Model 1863 Percussion Sharps Business Rifle

Remington 1858 Percussion Revolving Carbine

Prototype of .54 Cal Singularity Delivery Sabot Projectile

yhs
prof (almost prepared for the expedition) marvel

where's my butterfly net?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 07:47:16 am by Prof Marvel » Logged
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 03:07:20 pm »

I'd go for intelligence, complete mastery of the English language and a rapier wit.
But as I'm deficient on all counts pass me my ray gun.  Wink

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 11:29:34 pm »

I am a professor, a member of the intellectual fraternity. I need no weapons.

I do carry a weighted walking stick for defense and a rather large pneumatically propelled syringe of tranquilizer labelled 'In Case of Brontosaurus.' I have rarely needed to use this as the brontosaurus is normally a very placid beast.

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 06:31:06 am »

I do carry a weighted walking stick for defense and a rather large pneumatically propelled syringe of tranquilizer labelled 'In Case of Brontosaurus.' I have rarely needed to use this as the brontosaurus is normally a very placid beast.

Just tranqulizer? I doubt it, as it doesn't sound lethal enough. We all heard the rumour that you always carry a fountain pen, specially modified with a nib laced with Curare. We believe you obtain the Native South American poison from certain people working in Anthropology Department. However, we can't prove it yet.
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 07:55:48 pm »

Just tranqulizer? I doubt it, as it doesn't sound lethal enough. We all heard the rumour that you always carry a fountain pen, specially modified with a nib laced with Curare. We believe you obtain the Native South American poison from certain people working in Anthropology Department. However, we can't prove it yet.

Bosh and twaddle. Those colorful little tree frogs are simply delightful pets, not a source of a neurotoxin.
morozow
Snr. Officer
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2017, 08:50:15 pm »

Paranormal weapons. I do not like to be prominent and leave marks.

And sinister laugh watching the confused faces of the enemies which devour the spirits.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Wolfgang Edwards
Deck Hand

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2017, 02:41:29 am »

I started my journey into the realm of Steampunk by way of Lovecraft's horror, of all things. So the paranormal remains close to my cold, black heart. While I am not opposed to classical weapons of the Victorian era or sci-fi/fantasy arms of technology and magic, my very favorite concept for an epic weapon has to touch on the Paranormal in some form Smiley

If you like Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror or Steampunk, check out 'The University of Corporeal & Ethereal Studies'
https://store.bookbaby.com/book/The-University-of-Corporeal-and-Ethereal-Studies
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2017, 07:13:31 pm »

Craft, guile and razor wit.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2017, 05:00:27 am »

The three-in-one Apache pistol, originally custom made for the Parisian Apache street gang (name for the fierce savages of the American frontier). knuckleduster, silletto, and pepperbox revolver in one.
Anita Reyes
Deck Hand
Mexico Mexico

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2017, 12:09:51 am »

Always useful  but I prefer the confort and practicality of a good classy sword camouflaged as a walking stick unerring weapon for a skillful hand and elegant enough to take a walk wearing a beautiful attire. Not appropriate for  lady stroll with a large saber hanging from an enormous belt   Embarrassed  I am not an air pirate!

"Guerra guerra en el monte en el valle, los cañones horrisonos truenen y sus ecos sonoros resuenen con las voces de unión, libertad!"
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2017, 01:20:29 pm »

I will use some shamanic magic powered weapon like the Deadland's spellslinger. Also, some other stone|steam|bio hybrid weapons.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 11:01:59 pm by chicar » Logged

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
T. C. Halloway
Officer

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2017, 05:53:54 am »

My parents bought me a sword cane with a hefty silver raven's head handle and a seven-inch unsharpened blade for Christmas. I've actually removed the blade, as a sword cane requires a permit to be carried in public where i live. But an argent avian to the temple is a more humane (and maybe more effective) means of defense anyway.
Mme. Ratchet
Officer

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2017, 04:42:31 am »

My trusty Remington cartridge conversion paired with the fierce kukri knife, though naturally my long gun of choice is the Nepali Gahendra carbine.

Preferably my platoon of her Majesty's royal gurkha rifles will do most of my killin' for me, though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: