The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 02:47:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mother and daughter Fairy  (Read 1171 times)
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« on: January 29, 2017, 07:40:35 pm »

My wife and 7 year old daughter are making Fairy-attire for an upcoming festival.
My wife is going to alter her wedding dress into a fairy queen and our daughter is going to have a similar dress, but more child-like.
The dresses are being altered when we visit my parents, as my mother likes to sew.

A small, but nesseccairy prop they both need, are elf ears. I've watched quite a few tutorials on ear cuffs and made these:

It still needs some more beeds, but it's starting to look nice.

They are going to have matching wings.
I have made one pair, intended for our daughter, but they where to large and heavy for her.
So we've passed them down to my wife.

Pics and updates will follow a.s.a.p.

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 07:05:25 pm »

That is lovely - I'm looking forwards to seeing the wings. Funnily enough my eldest is in the process of making wings for my youngest - we'll have to compare notes ones they are done.

Yours,
Miranda.
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 11:12:24 pm »

This should be interesting- hope it doesn't get whisked off into Apparel too quickly once the pictures start!  Cheesy

HP

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 11:51:14 pm »

Very pretty, congratulations on a job well done.

I also have watched a few of the tutorials and all I can say is that my efforts look as if I had an accident as a child and caught my head in a mechanical rice picker!

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 10:06:15 pm »

Thank you for the replies.

I've also watched a lot of youtube tutorials on the ears and wings.
Most wing tutorials I've seen, use aluminium wire, wrapped with thinner wire. I find aluminium wire a bit to easy to bend. It doesn't stay in shape as much as metal wire. Although heavier, metal is stronger in this case. The wings I've made are from metal wire, soldered (not wire-wrapped).
Also, the tutorials I've seen, use cellophane. Again, easy to use and cut, but also flimsy. I have used plastic sealing sheets. The ones when you heat them, they stick and seal paper.
I have found out, that when ironed with a regular iron, it also wraps around wire. The edges needs extra attention, but it should leave you with a clear, see-though wing.
All of the above done with trial and error. Using small samples to try out.

I'm going to make smaller wings soon, so pictures will follow shortly.
selectedgrub
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 01:45:52 am »

Looking like a good start.
Did you ever finish the door in the tree project for her?
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 10:39:48 pm »

And for those who want real elven ears... Ouch!
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/ear-pointing-surgery-elf-ears-mr-spock/story?id=13317198

Though I speak from an unfair vantage point. One of my ears is naturally "lopped" (missing a bit of cartilage), and thus it's naturally pointy  Cheesy

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 01:05:38 am »

J. Wilhelm, you'll have to get the other one done to match, otherwise you may just have to pass as half-elven!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 03:34:42 am »

J. Wilhelm, you'll have to get the other one done to match, otherwise you may just have to pass as half-elven!

Yep. I'm half dark elf.  Grin

I'm thinking of feneagling the ear feature in my Engelfolk characters, perhaps as some sort of tribal rite of passage. Though I think people who as babies' were born with lopped ears look obviously more natural. The ear is rounder and not as pointy plus without a scar. The ear snipping procedure above looks painful though - and risky, according to surgeons.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 06:03:31 am »

Guess who's ear this is  Cheesy 100% natural.

bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 10:47:35 pm »

Looking like a good start.
Did you ever finish the door in the tree project for her?

I did finish that project, but she didn't believe anymore by the time I wanted to surprise her with it. Kids grow up so fast! Wink

As for the elf ear body-modification: I think we're going for fake ones for my daughter, for now...  Tongue

I think I have time this weekend to make her fairy wings. If all goes well, I'm posting WIP pictures soon.
steiconi
Gunner
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2017, 06:54:43 pm »

You might consider covering the wings with cloth.  There are lovely sheer, sparkly fabrics in all colors.

One way to apply the fabric would be to use iron-on fabric bond/fusible web:
Apply the web to one piece of fabric larger than the wire wing frame. 
Lay the frame on that, and put another piece of fabric (could be a different color; try layering colors in the store to make sure they look good) on top.  No need to put web on both pieces of fabric.
Iron the fabric according to directions, let cool, then trim off the excess around the edges.

The web will prevent raveling, so edges stay neat.

You could add spots by placing circles of a different color fabric between the wing layers.  Or do parts of the wings in different colors.
Or you could put the fusible web on the alternate color fabric, then cut out spots or shapes, and apply to the outside.  But putting them between the layers is cooler.

If your frame is unattractive, you could wrap it (around and around, not lengthwise) with narrow strips of cloth.  Use a metallic for extra bling!
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2017, 08:23:31 pm »

You might consider covering the wings with cloth.  There are lovely sheer, sparkly fabrics in all colors.

One way to apply the fabric would be to use iron-on fabric bond/fusible web:
Apply the web to one piece of fabric larger than the wire wing frame. 
Lay the frame on that, and put another piece of fabric (could be a different color; try layering colors in the store to make sure they look good) on top.  No need to put web on both pieces of fabric.
Iron the fabric according to directions, let cool, then trim off the excess around the edges.

(snip)

That's pretty much why my eldest has done, with an iridescent fabric as the lower layer and a veined one for the upper, except as the material was not 'sticky' in any way she used staples to fix them to the frame. I'll pop pictures up somewhere when I get a few minutes...

Yours,
Miranda.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2017, 12:39:27 am »

Piccy of the wings now up - http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,33684.msg979716.html#msg979716

Yours,
Miranda.
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 09:43:51 pm »

A small update:
The dresses of both my wife and daughter are very close to being finished.
The bottom part of the dress are made of a couple of dozen pentals. A time consuming work, but worth the efford.
All the dresses need are (plastic) flowers.

I have made, remade and re-remade wings. I'm going to cover the metal wire frame with organza. The same fabric as the pentals.

I have to make one more set of wings for our daughter and one more set of ears for my wife.

Pics will follow as soon as everything is finished.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2017, 10:53:22 pm »

Is that yours? Or perhaps that of a paramour?

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2017, 09:42:25 am »

Small update: daughters wings are done soldering.

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2017, 09:49:04 am »

Is that yours? Or perhaps that of a paramour?

I'm afraid there's no paramour. It is mein ear, Herr Bailey. You're talking to probably the loneliest elf ever.  Sad If I ever meet a girl elf, then I'll make sure to take her ear's picture and post it!  Grin
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2017, 09:52:35 am »

So what kind of metal was used? Steel? Aluminium can't be soldered (soft solder / brazed) or welded (arc weld) unless it's under very special circumstances (low oxygen environment, typically done within some inert gas, and very clean surfaces)
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2017, 11:25:59 am »

So what kind of metal was used? Steel? Aluminium can't be soldered (soft solder / brazed) or welded (arc weld) unless it's under very special circumstances (low oxygen environment, typically done within some inert gas, and very clean surfaces)
[/quote]

1.2mm metal (I think steel) wire, from a garden shop. It doesn't seem to rust, probably from pulling the wires or it might be zink plated. I'm not sure.
I've soldered with 40/60 and paste flux. I've used an electrical soldering iron.
So no special exotic metals or gasses where used.
And I also used a thinner wire for strength, where the wings are jointed.

My wife is going to cover the wings with organza and cover up the back. Probably with some fake flowers.
The loop on the back goes into a little poutch on the back of our daughters shirt. It might need some padding for comfortable wearing.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2017, 02:39:59 pm »

What wonderful, delicate structures; I'm sure your daughter will absolutely love wearing them.

Yours,
Miranda.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2017, 06:30:21 am »

1.2mm metal (I think steel) wire, from a garden shop. It doesn't seem to rust, probably from pulling the wires or it might be zink plated. I'm not sure.
I've soldered with 40/60 and paste flux. I've used an electrical soldering iron.

My wife is going to cover the wings with organza and cover up the back. Probably with some fake flowers.
The loop on the back goes into a little poutch on the back of our daughters shirt. It might need some padding for comfortable wearing.
[/quote]

If you are in the US I found several  low-temp "aluminum solders" that works well on aluminum bar and wire.

http://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/en/Products/Alloys/Soldering/Lead-Free-Solders/Al-Solder-500.aspx

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-AL3-Aluminum-Brazing-and-Welding-Rods-334491/203710179

https://www.amazon.com/Harris-500K-Al-Solder-Aluminum-Solder/dp/B001HWFM9Y

the bernzomatic brazing rod needs ~ 750 deg F, but has a tensile strength of ~ 33k psi.

these are magical alloys,  most likely involving unicorn horn, but seem to work well for me.

yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2017, 06:46:01 am »

If you are in the US I found several  low-temp "aluminum solders" that works well on aluminum bar and wire.

http://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/en/Products/Alloys/Soldering/Lead-Free-Solders/Al-Solder-500.aspx

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-AL3-Aluminum-Brazing-and-Welding-Rods-334491/203710179

https://www.amazon.com/Harris-500K-Al-Solder-Aluminum-Solder/dp/B001HWFM9Y

the bernzomatic brazing rod needs ~ 750 deg F, but has a tensile strength of ~ 33k psi.

these are magical alloys,  most likely involving unicorn horn, but seem to work well for me.

yhs
prof marvel

Never heard of them, but I would have wanted to use that many years ago. I guess magical alloys are needed for magical wings  Wink
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 12:09:59 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Peter Brassbeard
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2017, 07:23:58 am »

If you are in the US I found several  low-temp "aluminum solders" that works well on aluminum bar and wire.
these are magical alloys,  most likely involving unicorn horn, but seem to work well for me.
I've heard of such alloys.  They're zinc based, and zinc is able to break through the aluminum oxide coating.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: