The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 18, 2017, 02:06:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Departed Cultural Icons - 2017  (Read 1415 times)
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2017, 06:05:50 pm »

Space 1999 rocked !
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2017, 06:14:10 pm »

Who else liked "Space  1999"?
I did.

Martin Landau also had a supporting role in Mission: Impossible.

And his performance as Bela Lugosi in the film 'Ed Wood' was brilliant and deservedly won him an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2017, 08:43:04 pm »

I had two large-scale die cast toys of their transport spaceships. Wish I still had them.

Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2017, 10:56:11 am »

George A. Romero.

Died July 16th at the age of just 77.

My favourite director. Not just for the zombies, but, yes mostly for the zombies.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2017, 11:05:06 am »

The best tribute I saw to George Romero:

Don't worry. As long as the brain is intact, he'll be back....

His vision and his lore still goes on.

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2017, 11:24:16 am »

Space 1999 rocked !

Yeah. In so many ways it did... They had the most realistic looking spaceships at the time...

Space: 1999 -Tribute to the eagles-
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2017, 10:08:27 pm »

I did.

Martin Landau also had a supporting role in Mission: Impossible.

Enjoyed it immensely.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2017, 11:36:35 pm »

RIP Jerry Lewis, famous Hollywood comedian, contemporary to the great actors of the Rat Pack era, and fast friend and colleague of Hollywood star Dean Martin.

Jerry Lewis, comedy legend, dead at 91

RIP JERRY LEWIS BEST MOMENTS
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 11:41:42 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
creagmor
Zeppelin Captain
South Africa South Africa

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2017, 09:35:58 am »

Martin Landau was a great character portrayer in MI. I once read where he would sometimes disguise himself and be an anonymous person in crowd scenes, just for the heck of it
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 09:08:52 pm by creagmor » Logged

“Love is an emotional thing, and whatever is emotional is opposed to that cold true reason which I place above all things.” Sherlock Holmes, in The Sign of Four.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2017, 06:32:31 am »

Seems they're getting ahead of us. Time to catch up.

First up, Walter Becker (February 20, 1950 – September 3, 2017), songwriter, producer, and cofounder (with Donald Fagen) of the band Steely Dan.

Do It Again by Steely Dan

Black Man Ray by China Crisis (Walter Becker, producer)

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2017, 07:18:00 pm »

Seems they're getting ahead of us. Time to catch up.

First up, Walter Becker (February 20, 1950 – September 3, 2017), songwriter, producer, and cofounder (with Donald Fagen) of the band Steely Dan.

Do It Again by Steely Dan
Black Man Ray by China Crisis (Walter Becker, producer)

Well, the way things are going around the world, this is a good time to check out.
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2017, 09:31:45 pm »

Jerry Pournelle (August 7, 1933 – September 8, 2017), science fiction writer (The Mote in God's Eye, Footfall) and journalist (Byte, Chaos Manor).
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2017, 07:09:34 pm »

Harry Dean Stanton (July 14, 1926 – September 15, 2017), one of those guys from film and television.
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2017, 04:26:36 am »

Wiarton Willie III (September 15, 2017, aged 13 yrs.), prominent Canadian weather forecaster.
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2017, 10:03:44 pm »

Hugh Hefner (April 9, 1926 – September 27, 2017), publisher, philanthropist and political activist.

MOD NOTE: Hefner was a controversial figure, admired by some, while others found his politics/philosophy/lifestyle questionable or objectionable. This is not the place to air those objections. What is beyond question is that he was (for good or ill) a culturally influential figure; this is why I have chosen to include him here.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2017, 11:44:46 pm »

Agreed, von Corax. Heffner was influential, irrespective of any controversy. I don't know that you can be influential and not be controversial!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2017, 12:06:22 am »

Hugh Hefner (April 9, 1926 – September 27, 2017), publisher, philanthropist and political activist.

MOD NOTE: Hefner was a controversial figure, admired by some, while others found his politics/philosophy/lifestyle questionable or objectionable. This is not the place to air those objections. What is beyond question is that he was (for good or ill) a culturally influential figure; this is why I have chosen to include him here.

Considering the current state of ideas on freedom of sexuality, I'd say by now the controversy is almost trivial. I'd say Larry Flint was more controversial and regarding freedom of expression and activism to that end, probably very influential as well.
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2017, 09:44:08 pm »

Monty Hall (August 25, 1921 – September 30, 2017), Canadian-American gameshow host, producer, philanthropist and recipient of the Order of Canada and the Order of Manitoba.
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2017, 10:51:40 pm »

Tom Petty (October 20, 1950 – October 2, 2017), musician, singer-songwriter (Mudcrutch, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, The Travelling Wilburys) and sometime actor (The Postman, King of the Hill).
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2017, 06:14:17 am »

RIP Gord Downie , 6 February 1964 – 17 October 2017

Downie was a Canadian rock musician, writer, and actor. He was the front man, and wrote the lyrics for Canadian rock band The Tragically Hip.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 06:16:13 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2017, 05:18:49 am »

RIP Gord Downie , 6 February 1964 – 17 October 2017

Downie was a Canadian rock musician, writer, and actor. He was the front man, and wrote the lyrics for Canadian rock band The Tragically Hip.
Downie was also a member of the Order of Canada, a poet, a social activist and an unabashed Canadian.
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2017, 10:06:54 pm »

Roy Dotrice (26 May 1923 – 16 October 2017), actor and Officer of the Order of the British Empire. Dotrice's screen credits range from 1965's Heroes of Telemark to Space: 1999 to Season 2 of HBO's Game of Thrones; he also held Guinness world records for most solo stage performances (1782 performances of Patrick Garland's play Brief Lives) and most character voices by a single actor (224 in the audiobook of A Game of Thrones.)
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2017, 07:09:55 pm »

RIP Antoine "Fats" Domino Jr. (February 26, 1928 – October 24, 2017)

Rock and Roll legend "Fats" Domino passed away today, age 89.

Domino was born and raised in New Orleans, Louisiana, the eighth and final child of Antoine Caliste Domino (1879–1964) and Marie-Donatille Gros (1886–1971). The Domino family was of French Creole background. Louisiana Creole French was his first language.

Domino learned to play the piano from his brother-in-law, the jazz guitarist Harrison Verrett[1][4] while studying shipping management at his local community college.
Domino was one of the biggest stars of rock and roll in the 1950s and one of the first R&B artists to gain popularity with white audiences. His biographer Rick Coleman argues that Domino's records and tours with rock-and-roll shows in that decade, bringing together black and white youths in a shared appreciation of his music, was a factor in the breakdown of racial segregation in the United States.[29]

In the summer of 1947, Billy Diamond, a New Orleans bandleader, accepted an invitation to hear the young pianist perform at a backyard barbecue. Domino played well enough that Diamond asked him to join his band, the Solid Senders, at the Hideaway Club, in New Orleans. Diamond nicknamed him "Fats", because Domino reminded him of the renowned pianists Fats Waller and Fats Pichon.[5]

Domino attracted national attention with his first recording, "The Fat Man", made in late 1949 for Imperial Records, an early rock-and-roll record featuring a rolling piano and Domino vocalizing "wah-wah" over a strong backbeat. "The Fat Man" sold one million copies by 1953; it is widely considered the first rock-and-roll record to achieve this feat.[6][7] Domino released a series of hit songs with the producer Dave Bartholomew (also the co-writer of many of the songs), the saxophonists Herbert Hardesty and Alvin "Red" Tyler, the bassist Frank Fields, and the drummers Earl Palmer and Smokey Johnson. Other notable and long-standing musicians in Domino's band were the saxophonists Reggie Houston, Lee Allen, and Fred Kemp, Domino's trusted bandleader.

Domino crossed into the pop mainstream with "Ain't That a Shame" (1955), which reached the Top Ten. Pat Boone's milder cover version reached number 1,[8] having received wider radio airplay in a racially segregated era. Domino eventually had 37 Top 40 singles.

Domino's debut album, Carry On Rockin, containing several of his hits and tracks that had not yet been released as singles, was issued under the Imperial imprint (catalogue number 9009) in November 1955 and was reissued as Rock and Rollin' with Fats Domino in 1956.[9] The reissue reached number 17 on the Billboard Pop Albums chart.[10]

His 1956 recording of "Blueberry Hill", a 1940 song by Vincent Rose, Al Lewis and Larry Stock (which had previously been recorded by Gene Autry, Louis Armstrong and others), reached number 2 in the Top 40 and was number 1 on the R&B chart for 11 weeks. It was his biggest hit,[8] selling more than 5 million copies worldwide in 1956 and 1957.

Domino was also an important influence on the music of the 1960s and 1970s and was acknowledged as such by some of the top artists of that era. Elvis Presley introduced Fats at one of his Las Vegas concerts by saying "this gentleman was a huge influence on me when I started out". Both John Lennon and Paul McCartney recorded Domino songs. McCartney reportedly wrote the Beatles song "Lady Madonna" in emulation of Domino's style, combining it with a nod to Humphrey Lyttelton's 1956 hit "Bad Penny Blues". Domino returned to the "Hot 100" chart for the last time in 1968, with his recording of "Lady Madonna". That recording, as well as covers of two other songs by the Beatles, appeared on his Reprise album Fats Is Back, produced by Richard Perry and recorded by a band that included the New Orleans pianist James Booker; Domino played piano on only one track, "I'm Ready."

Domino was present in the audience of 2,200 people at Elvis Presley's first concert at the Las Vegas Hilton on July 31, 1969. At a press conference after the show, when a journalist referred to Presley as "The King", Presley gestured toward Domino, who was taking in the scene. "No," Presley said, "that's the real king of rock and roll."

Fats Domino Ain't That A Shame

« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 07:16:47 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2017, 12:19:45 am »

Sad, man!
Notice the audience in the film clip?
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2017, 04:05:03 am »

John Hillerman (December 20, 1932 – November 9, 2017), perhaps best known for his portrayal of Jonathan Quayle Higgins III on the series Magnum, P.I.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: