The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 03:59:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is Steampunk?  (Read 1289 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2017, 08:12:48 am »

My personal favorite description of steampunk is "if you asked a Victorian what 2017 would be like you'd probably end up with something pretty close to steampunk" .

What I like to do with steampunk is to see it as an alternate present, for example if Babbage's analytical engine had been built there could have been a computing revolution in the Victorian era put computers today would probably be very different. Or if Tesla had been able to develop his ideas, would we have had wireless electricity instead of the national grid? What other inventions may have come off the back of these?

I don't know. In many ways it would be different. We have the advantage of hindsight - that is always 20/20. We have a much better idea of what is possible or not using their own technology.

Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2017, 03:41:00 am »

True, but then again despite that fact, Steampunk design often gives rise to ludicrous gadgets and tech that doesn't (and indeed couldn't) really work. If you think about it, unless it's an already functional object given a SP make over, the volume of that stuff far outweighs the ''inventions'' that have any practical real world applications. I'd say some of them are deliberately in line with the often comically ridiculous future predictions of C19th folks.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 08:47:12 am by Argus Fairbrass » Logged

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2017, 04:43:03 am »

Perhaps the next subject is What is not Steampunk?  Grin We've had a thread like that before....

*Ambrose Bierce-like curmudgeon hat on*

It's "whatever I disagree with."

*Ambrose Bierce-like curmudgeon hat off*

Just joking, of course.

Er, I hope.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2017, 05:41:14 pm »

It's not just gin and rayguns, but that is where I start.

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2017, 04:58:44 pm »

Steampunk:

What the past would have been like if the future had arrived sooner

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
BaronVonBoiler
Gunner

Steampunk Railroader

« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2017, 08:00:29 am »

All of the above.  Just disregard anything you find by GD Falksen* on the subject.

(or Robert Brown* if you get round to Steampunk music)

* They both have their own agendas.

Because of your post, sir, I was impelled to dive into the opinions surrounding Robert Brown. I must say, I am disappointed with the stigma that he seems to perpetuate. Up unto this point I only knew of him as a member of Abney Park, I cared nothing of him outside of the band. And now I will not be able to listen to his music the same way again.

G.D. Falksen I know of, but know nothing of his definition of Steampunk or what may be controversial in regards to it.
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2017, 11:45:21 am »

All of the above.  Just disregard anything you find by GD Falksen* on the subject.

Because of your post, sir, I was impelled to dive into the opinions surrounding Robert Brown. I must say, I am disappointed with the stigma that he seems to perpetuate. Up unto this point I only knew of him as a member of Abney Park, I cared nothing of him outside of the band. And now I will not be able to listen to his music the same way again.

G.D. Falksen I know of, but know nothing of his definition of Steampunk or what may be controversial in regards to it.
GDF is the perpetrator of the quote "Steampunk is Victorian Sci-Fi", which whilst being close is also simultaneously so far off the mark it's untrue.  He is also a shameless self-promoter, who thinks nothing of slapping his name / web address on a photo of somebody else's work & posting it without credit.  By all accounts, he's also not a very nice person, who thinks nothing of harshly criticising other people's take on Steampunk.

As for RB, there a number of DJs who now won't play anything by his band as a result of his major outburst on a Facebook group last year, which basically insisted that every Steampunk act on the planet that wasn't AP (& a select few others (who I suspect won't put up with his guff)) were not Steampunk as they didn't have "the Steampunk sound".

Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish

www.steampunkdj.co.uk  Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SteampunkDJ & Facebook https://www.facebook.com/steampunkdj
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2017, 12:58:23 pm »

I still enjoy the music, and i think you should too. just...the man himself is not all too nice. there's more people like that. make alright content that you can enjoy but just ignore the rest about the person.

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
BaronVonBoiler
Gunner

Steampunk Railroader

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2017, 02:35:14 am »

I still enjoy the music, and i think you should too. just...the man himself is not all too nice. there's more people like that. make alright content that you can enjoy but just ignore the rest about the person.

I will still enjoy their music, much of Abbey Park's library comes across my Pandora channel; however, I will find it hard to ever purchase the hard copy knowing the lead artist is the way he is.

To keep the thread on topic: Steampunk should be whatever one wants to make it. If one has specific guidelines about the culture, that's acceptable; but, to aggressively push that agenda and to insult fellow steampunks when they do not fit that mold does nothing but drive prospective Steampunks away.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: