The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 17, 2017, 08:50:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for a Quilted Smoking Jacket  (Read 413 times)
Sebastian Gaunt
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

I have the key to the TARDIS!

« on: January 09, 2017, 05:53:42 pm »

Hello, it is literally years since I have posted on 'Goggles', lurked a bit but now I am in need of help. I am looking for a men's quilted smoking jacket. I am a large chap, measurements can be obtained if needed.,
Here is why I need it, if you are interested. I already have one smoking jacket, in shiny maroon/purple with black lapels, but I wore it to a Fallout based LARP event which was fine while my character had been perfectly preserved in cryogenic freeze so could be perfectly presented in undamaged gear. Then someone blew up the vault with us in it and we barely escaped as it fell down around us, thus my outfit by rights should be damaged and ragged and dirty and more suited to the wasteland. Only I don't want to do that to my nice smoking jacket, and it's the character's signature bit of kit so I can't lose it. So that means I am in need of another smoking jacket, colours can be different as we were actually underground in a real bunker all weekend and I can use that to explain any colour change once out in the light. Also the condition does not have to be good as I am going to make a mess of it anyway. But I cannot for the life of me find any such thing online, ebay, anywhere, for less than a few hundred pounds for a brand new one. If all else fails I will have to find a pattern to make one but would rather get a ready made one as my sewing is basic to say the least. Any help would be greatly, greatly, appreciated.

"The fastest way to travel is by Gaslight"
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 05:03:58 am »

Hmm, I would say unless you want to start scouring every jumble sale or charity shop in the country, eBay or Etsy (UK) are likely  your best options. There are still bargains to be had on both. It just requires time and patience to trawl through them regularly. I tend to find the different sites (.com .de etc) can sometimes yield different results. Often heavier shipping charges to take into account of course, but thanks to The Global Shipping Program, at least there no more nasty surprises from UK customs on goods imported from the States (presuming your seller is signed up to it).  Goods from China can also be worth a punt. Can take a while to arrive, but I've been pleasantly surprised by some of the stuff I've had from there (genuine silk cravat for 1.50, free shipping) for example. I never believed it would arrive, but worth the gamble at that price I thought & blow me 2 weeks later it did! One idea might be to acquire a quilted velvet dressing gown & shorten it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/smoking-jacket

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 03:37:43 pm »

If you can't find something in budget,turn up shirtless with a scrap of singed fabric saying your smoking jacket saved you from serious burns and that you will have it recreated as soon as you've had your revenge.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 06:07:09 pm »

^^ best advice so far. After generally trawling the net, you're right, these things are going for a fortune right now. Even if you were to find one at a reasonably sane price, given you could probably flip it for three times the money, do you really want to knacker it up just for a LARP? Buy a piece of cheap Hugh Hefner costume crap and abuse it. I'm sure that'll do the job just fine.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Velvet-Victorian-Smoking-Jacket-Robe-Hugh-Hefner-Playboy-Mens-Fancy-Dress-S-M-L-/162015070247?var=&hash=item25b8d9c827:m:myIcIRNdSV1kUe9jZEFezxA  .
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: