The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 15, 2017, 07:26:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are land vehicles so small?  (Read 1061 times)
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2017, 01:41:49 am »

A ship sized hovercraft would hover at least a couple of meters off of the ground.

Real hovercraft hover a few inches above the ground; they usually have rubber or plastic skirting that drags across the ground or the water. Hovercraft that hover meters off the ground are a myth created by Hollywood.
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2017, 09:09:50 am »

Sorry. And actually, what these land vehicles will differ from the existing hovercraft.

As I understand it, you can do what You want. Though on wheels, at least on the tracks, though on an air cushion. But the price. But economic efficiency.

I am now disgusted with himself, his earnestness and earthiness.

That's a beautiful picture, almost what You want. Well, I think.

Russian Military Hovercraft Lands on beach-Десантный корабль "Зубр" выплыл на пляж

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
19th Century Space Pilot
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Cererean
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2017, 03:18:55 pm »

A ship sized hovercraft would hover at least a couple of meters off of the ground.

Real hovercraft hover a few inches above the ground; they usually have rubber or plastic skirting that drags across the ground or the water. Hovercraft that hover meters off the ground are a myth created by Hollywood.
If you include the skirt, yes. But the skirts on the largest hovercraft are quite long, are they not?

Now for some shameless self promotion... http://needsmoremarshmallows.blogspot.co.uk/

- Aetheric Aviatrix
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2017, 06:22:02 pm »

When was the last time ANYONE actually WENT on a hovercraft??

From personal experience of crossing the Solent many times by hovercraft I can assure you all that they don't rise up by mere inches, but by a matter of a few feet, and these are relatively small ones (30 odd passengers), large military one will rise considerably more than that maybe 10-15 feet possibly!

We are the BEC,
And this we must confess,
Whatever is worth doing,
We'll do it to excess!
19th Century Space Pilot
Snr. Officer

Cererean
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2017, 06:47:16 pm »

How is the ride? I've never been on one.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2017, 05:43:48 pm »

The only time I was actually going to go in one, they cancelled the crossing because the sea was too rough.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2017, 08:00:16 pm »

How is the ride? I've never been on one.

Depends.................................on the sea conditions, bumpy, to hang on for grim death!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: