The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 06:04:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So what did you get that was Steampunky?  (Read 1144 times)
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2016, 07:25:27 am »

Aka braces  http://www.thesteampunkempire.com/group/wondrous-inventions-of-the-victorian-era/forum/topics/suspenders-aka-braces  

You are reminding me of the NATO briefs when the Brits (esp RIRs) would snicker like middle schoolers at other militaries' tech talk.  

Oh Captain! Why didn't you ever tell us? Roll Eyes You know, there is no shame* in that.

* You are in a mostly British-American forum. In the UK the word "suspenders" has a different meaning...  Grin

and I had to go look and see what you lads were on about...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

oh.

profmumbls

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2016, 08:09:19 am »

Aka braces  http://www.thesteampunkempire.com/group/wondrous-inventions-of-the-victorian-era/forum/topics/suspenders-aka-braces  

You are reminding me of the NATO briefs when the Brits (esp RIRs) would snicker like middle schoolers at other militaries' tech talk.  

Oh Captain! Why didn't you ever tell us? Roll Eyes You know, there is no shame* in that.

* You are in a mostly British-American forum. In the UK the word "suspenders" has a different meaning...  Grin

and I had to go look and see what you lads were on about...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

oh.

profmumbls

Roll Eyes Now think of ALL the times you have written the word "pants" or "suspenders" in this forum, and realise that the people on the other side of the screen were understanding something very different. How many years have you been a member in this forum?  Grin  For a small fee I can arrange to have the necessary typographical corrections performed....  Grin

~ ~ ~

Well, I'm alone, and at an age where no one really gives you gifts, so my gifts are self given. But for Xmas, I got two things:

1 I made a historically inspired dinner for my co-workers and roommates:

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,5743.msg977847.html#msg977847

2 I'm still waiting  Undecided for the woollen cape-coat I ordered from China for one of my two Steampunk characters, and I got a kilt on eBay, also for the Steampunk characters (either). I guess that counts as Christmas presents.

In other news, the aforementioned coat has finally arrived at the airport in Chicago. Exactly 32 days after ordering and 26 days after leaving the customs office in China prior to shipping. I believe they call this "snail mail" ? Or is that something else? Perhaps they sent it by burro, and said burro had to swim the Pacific Ocean, including a stop in Honolulu....
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 08:10:54 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2016, 10:52:49 pm »

In other news, the aforementioned coat has finally arrived at the airport in Chicago. Exactly 32 days after ordering and 26 days after leaving the customs office in China prior to shipping. I believe they call this "snail mail" ? Or is that something else? Perhaps they sent it by burro, and said burro had to swim the Pacific Ocean, including a stop in Honolulu....

My Dear J -
That is the classic "slow boat from china"
preceded *and* followed by the "slow gears of bureaucracy"
hope your garments arrive soon!

and happy new year!

yhs
pm
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2016, 11:43:08 pm »

Happy New Year!
Shadow Of The Tower
Snr. Officer

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2017, 04:26:49 am »

A bottle of mushroom Ketchup from an 1834 recipe. Does that count? (seriously) , it was wrapped up in my stocking)

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2017, 10:06:01 am »

A bottle of mushroom Ketchup from an 1834 recipe. Does that count? (seriously) , it was wrapped up in my stocking)

So I take it this was a modern repro of the recipe (as opposed to a jar filled with 19th C mushroom sauce product) ?  Grin   I believe somewhere in Historical we have a thread for Victorian Era Recipes.
Shadow Of The Tower
Snr. Officer

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2017, 11:00:29 am »

So I take it this was a modern repro of the recipe (as opposed to a jar filled with 19th C mushroom sauce product) ?  Grin   I believe somewhere in Historical we have a thread for Victorian Era Recipes.

Indeed, although potent I do not think even this sauce could survive that much time.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2017, 04:01:48 pm »

Well, I'm alone, and at an age where no one really gives you gifts, so my gifts are self given. But for Xmas, I got two things:

2 I'm still waiting  Undecided for the woollen cape-coat I ordered from China for one of my two Steampunk characters, and I got a kilt on eBay, also for the Steampunk characters (either). I guess that counts as Christmas presents.

That's a very nice kilt!

As for myself...the most steampunk thing is that my new laptop has a copper colour...

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2017, 08:54:30 pm »

That's a very nice kilt!

As for myself...the most steampunk thing is that my new laptop has a copper colour...

Thanks! Yes it is, and the cloak coat arrived two day ago. I looks great! I didn't have to spend an arm and a leg for both of them either!  The full costume is ready now save for military insignia and a few mods like fiddling with / reinforcing buttons, etc.  Four major components plus boots, so a lot of permutations to be shown hopefully soon at the Playing Dress Up thread.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2017, 11:30:15 am »

That's a very nice kilt!

Thanks! Yes it is, and the cloak coat arrived two day ago. I looks great! I didn't have to spend an arm and a leg for both of them either!  The full costume is ready now save for military insignia and a few mods like fiddling with / reinforcing buttons, etc.  Four major components plus boots, so a lot of permutations to be shown hopefully soon at the Playing Dress Up thread.

I'll be keeping an eye out, I do like seeing some well worn kilts Cheesy
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: