The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 09:02:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So what did you get that was Steampunky?  (Read 1142 times)
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« on: December 26, 2016, 05:58:03 am »

Any crimbo prezzies that added to your Steampunkiness?

Amongst my haul were

this

http://www.kinkyangel.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=771&products_id=16669#.WGCe1lwvtzI

& this

https://www.samuel-windsor.co.uk/buy.cfm/tweed-long-coats/heritage-tweed-long-coat-ascot/73/yes/141994

to say I'm rather happy about this is an understatement.

Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish

www.steampunkdj.co.uk  Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SteampunkDJ & Facebook https://www.facebook.com/steampunkdj
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2016, 07:56:34 am »

They are fine garments and you  will be a regular Beau Brummel  into the New Year. 

I got kitsch tiki style  presents from family members who must have been channeling  the same wave length.  A small flamingo light  fridge magnets and  a canvas wit palm fronds- all co incidentally  in matching colours
josecou
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 08:10:54 am »

I got a set of Steampunk RPG dice. Hoping to get some good use out of them soon for D&D. I also got a brown bowler hat and a Nerf Doublestrike gun. I'm hoping to modify the gun and use both pieces for a costume eventually.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 11:05:21 am »

Well, I'm alone, and at an age where no one really gives you gifts, so my gifts are self given. But for Xmas, I got two things:

1 I made a historically inspired dinner for my co-workers and roommates:

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,5743.msg977847.html#msg977847

2 I'm still waiting  Undecided for the woollen cape-coat I ordered from China for one of my two Steampunk characters, and I got a kilt on eBay, also for the Steampunk characters (either). I guess that counts as Christmas presents.

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 11:15:21 am »

Well, I'm alone, and at an age where no one really gives you gifts, so my gifts are self given. But for Xmas, I got two things:

2 I'm still waiting  Undecided for the woollen cape-coat I ordered from China for one of my two Steampunk characters, and I got a kilt on eBay, also for the Steampunk characters (either). I guess that counts as Christmas presents.

Forgive me . I read that as hysterically  inspired . 

That coat is fabulous. The festive feast  was truly inspired and would have gone down a treat
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 11:29:24 am »

Forgive me . I read that as hysterically  inspired . 

That coat is fabulous. The festive feast  was truly inspired and would have gone down a treat

Not a problem, the histerical nature of the dinner party ensued after imbibing several bottles of alcohol  Grin

The meal left the guests VERY full, in spite of me being very stingy with the individual portions (I knew it would be a lot of food over many courses). It's 4:AM, here. We started at 6 pm and we finished at 9:30-ish pm. I still can't sleep! I don't dare lie down. Undecided Luckily I don't work today. I'll need some time to recover.

I hope the coat gets here soon enough... Hopefully before New Year's Day. If it doesn't get here by Wednesday 7 next week, when the buyer's protection ends, I'll have to start a dispute and cancel the transaction...  Undecided  Tongue
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2016, 03:05:03 pm »

Lovely coat.

Do you have any connection to the tartan on the kilt or is it just the colour you require?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 02:53:05 am by Sludge Van Diesel » Logged
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 02:18:37 am »

I don't have an easy way to post pics (I got one of the pic hosting account thingies, but I always forget the URL, my password, etc)

Anyway, I did pretty good.  I got 2 cravat pins.  One was a hand-made with a gear and clock hand.  The other is a genuine 1880s pin with opal and 14karat gold.

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 02:35:09 am »

Lovely coat.
Do you have any connection to the tartan on the kilt or is it just the colour you require?

Thank you  Smiley

I do have a tartan for my family, they are linked to the Erskine clan. But that is not the tartan I chose. The Erskine clan has a certain thread pattern used for two tartans, one is red and green and the other black and white (plus red and white or blue and white wgich I have seen used for competition events).

But that is not the tartan I chose. I was looking for tartan kilts which would  be more or less compatible with modern day tartans used by the United States Air Force and actual 19th C tartans used by certain United States Army regiments, such as the 79th New York Volunteer Infantry -  which in turn was inspired by the the 79th Cameron Highlanders of Scotland.

I was specifically looking for colours which I could use for a fictitious United States Airship Command
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2016, 02:54:40 am »

Cool
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2016, 02:55:11 am »

I got a flu that sent me to the emergency room; lots of illness in the steam era.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2016, 03:35:51 am »

I got a flu that sent me to the emergency room; lots of illness in the steam era.

As long as you keep a good humour about it  Grin  I hope you recover promptly.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2016, 05:30:51 am »

Amongst other things (not steampunk) I got a book voucher, which can be anything I want it to be!! Dymocks Bookshop, here I come! Dymocks also host the ABC and SBS TV station shops, so with a hot $75 in my hands, who knows what I will come home with - tomorrow, probably!
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2016, 07:55:30 pm »

Nothing, Zip,,,,Nada!

However I did meet the charming folk of the Steampunk Morris team in Faversham yesterday!

We are the BEC,
And this we must confess,
Whatever is worth doing,
We'll do it to excess!
cossoft
Gunner

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2016, 09:30:47 pm »

Well, I got a hot glue gun and one glue stick.  That's a start isn't it?  What other things do I need to make Steampunk please and I'll put them on next year's prezzy list?
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2016, 10:02:41 pm »

Well, I got a hot glue gun and one glue stick.  That's a start isn't it?  What other things do I need to make Steampunk please and I'll put them on next year's prezzy list?
They're not Steampunk without the cogs to go with them.  Wink Cheesy
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2016, 03:43:50 am »

Got some steampunky money to spend on things like a concertina or maybe some new duds.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2016, 09:34:24 am »

I received a Dymocks book voucher, which I accordingly blew (+ some extra) today. However, my steampunk acquisition was from another bookshop and cost me the grand total of $6: H.P. Lovecraft, The Call of Cthulhu, Penguin Classics, in the lovely orange & white cover!
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2016, 03:51:08 pm »

My eldest found for me a very Steampunk telescope in brass and leather, but it was a double gift as it needs some love - it's missing its objective lens and its tripod/stand, and she knows how I love tinkering to get things working.

Yours,
Miranda.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2016, 03:58:20 pm »

Got a beautiful blank journal with a cover that's a reproduction of 'The Universe or The Infinitely Great and the Infinitely Little' published in 1870.
It's so splendid that I will have to think carefully about what exactly I want to write in it.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2016, 06:59:45 pm »

Pretty broach, it will go with several looks including Art Nouveau.
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2016, 04:53:11 am »

Suspenders and a 3D pen. 

-Karl
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2016, 06:28:49 am »

Oh Captain! Why didn't you ever tell us? Roll Eyes You know, there is no shame* in that.

* You are in a mostly British-American forum. In the UK the word "suspenders" has a different meaning...  Grin
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2016, 03:29:32 am »

Doe a Model 1873 Colt Revolver in the incorrect percussion version count?

You must remove the cylinder and use a press to load loose powder, a round ball, and then add percussion caps to the nipples on the rear - then re-install on the revolver. They were built by the Italians for the UK and other markets that could not own cartridge revolvers but wanted to play cowboy. The action is smoother than any of my Civil War repro colts or remmies.

it's an odd thing, but I am attracted to odd!  Grin

yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2016, 05:54:13 am »

Aka braces  http://www.thesteampunkempire.com/group/wondrous-inventions-of-the-victorian-era/forum/topics/suspenders-aka-braces 

You are reminding me of the NATO briefs when the Brits (esp RIRs) would snicker like middle schoolers at other militaries' tech talk. 

Oh Captain! Why didn't you ever tell us? Roll Eyes You know, there is no shame* in that.

* You are in a mostly British-American forum. In the UK the word "suspenders" has a different meaning...  Grin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: