The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 17, 2017, 11:07:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Philosophy Of Nostalgia  (Read 724 times)
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« on: December 21, 2016, 02:19:54 am »

(Put it here, as althought is a video, this thread is more about the subject than the video itself)

Here A Analysis By Wisecrack's 8bit Philosophy Serie About The Philosophycal Basis Of Nostalgia:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQz8DGEZSQM

What do you think ?

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Kensington Locke
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 03:25:34 pm »

Sure.  Nostalgia is always people taking the parts they liked from the past and re-using it.

You can even see a hint of that in that one political person's campaign message that we're not going to discuss here but merely acknowledge that somebody played the Nostalgia card in politics.

The video points out that during times of revolution (or leading to), there were higher levels of Nostalgia going on.  Are we at higher levels right now?  All the reboots started happening in the 2000s.  I don't remember anybody giving a rats arse about the 70s back in the 90s or 80s.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2016, 06:09:42 pm »

The pull of nostalgia is a strong one.    It is used in advertising  and PR  campaigns ,  television  and movies, products and packaging  to lure us in.  It is a highly successful  marketing ploy.  It is  based around the idea of " comfort of  the familiar " ,  even if it is a  PR generated faux  familiar.

The fashion and home ware industry  exploit it constantly  in a shamelessly  commercial manner. Product gets touted as a " Return to [insert era or decade] ".  Recent years  have seen the austere  40s return. Another nostalgic turn will already be forming in the imagination   of the global marketeers.

Politics and electioneering  is an irony. Political parties  that sense  a public  mood  for change ,  often campaign oN a promise of changing to  a former perceived "safer  and simpler  time" ,  promising that some how this will make  the country new and different.   

pakled
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 05:08:40 am »

possibly the attraction is that we know the answers to yesterdays' problems...Wink
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 08:27:23 am »

possibly the attraction is that we know the answers to yesterdays' problems...Wink

Hind sight is 20 20
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 07:54:07 pm »

To look into the future, one must first look to the past, there you will see All of man's triumphs and fails!

We are the BEC,
And this we must confess,
Whatever is worth doing,
We'll do it to excess!
MoonlitRain
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 10:24:20 pm »

Nostalgia can be a dangerous thing because people tend to construct versions of the past that never actually existed, explain why that fictitious past was better and ought to be revisited and insist that we return to it by appealing to a sense of nostalgia. Well, that's my view of it anyways.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 02:42:15 pm »

Hmm, think we might've seen a fairly large scale example of that quite recently. It does kinda make me roll my eyes to hear some folks (usually westerners) proclaim they were ''born in the wrong century''. To my mind that's a pretty clear indication they have no idea what life was like during previous ones. Widespread abject poverty, lack of basic human rights, institutionalised racism and sexism coupled with suffocating social and class restrictions, rampant disease, lack of medical knowledge, two world wars etc. Geez I sure feel deprived to have missed out on all that. SP has come under criticism for promoting a rather rosy view of the past at times (in truth there is a large body of work which does quite the opposite) but it's never proclaimed to be anything more than fiction  It's when things cross the line into historical revisionism that I get most concerned, but that's a different ball game entirely.

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: