The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2017, 04:59:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Death from Above a steampunk shoot em up video game NOW WITH DEMO  (Read 908 times)
PrinceofMars
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: December 18, 2016, 11:40:22 pm »

PLAY IT NOW
https://www.scirra.com/arcade/action-games/deathfromabovedemo-18080
hi everyone I am an amateur game developer, I have made this Steampunk shoot em up over 5 months and I would love to hear get some feedback, you can play it on PC with a mouse or any type of tablet or smart phone but I have been hearing some phones don't play any sound I will try to fix this bug soon right now for the best experience play it on a PC or laptop with a mouse

« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 02:48:19 pm by PrinceofMars » Logged
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 08:58:06 am »

This is so far from my sphere of knowledge that i had to look up the definition of shmup.  That said, I wish you good fortune.
PrinceofMars
Deck Hand

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 05:54:53 pm »

Yeah, sometimes I get lost in my own little communities online I forget most people don't know what some of my niche interests like Shmups are. Maybe I would be better about posting on a retro video game related forum but thanks anyway  Smiley
Kensington Locke
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 10:22:53 pm »

Yeah, sometimes I get lost in my own little communities online I forget most people don't know what some of my niche interests like Shmups are. Maybe I would be better about posting on a retro video game related forum but thanks anyway  Smiley

or.....

pausing to explain what a shmup is so folks have context relative to the nice sketches you posted.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 11:16:12 pm »

Some kind of jewish steampunk?

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 05:45:06 am »

Your Highness has no need to apologize, I enjoy learning new languages.  
I then use words and phrases in speaking to my step kids and enjoy watching them startle at my knowing jargon they think I shouldn't. Grin
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 12:19:31 pm »

shmup

I think I may have worked out what this means without recourse to Mr Wiki or Mr Google.  If I am correct in my supposition then I don't feel the concept is particularly steampunk, whatever the illustrations are like, as tea duelling is so much more civilised.

And the definition that Atterton provides is so much better than the real one.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
PrinceofMars
Deck Hand

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 11:42:44 pm »

sorry for not clarifying everyone Shmup is a term used to describe a type of video game where you control a small ship try to avoid large amounts of enemy bullets they were most popular in the arcade in the late 80s to early 90s.

Ok, this is what I made today the idea is the players airship can reflect bullets with the force field and if you're wondering the giant hand the train is carrying is foreshadowing the end level boss and no the train is not flying I have not made the bridge yet. Wink
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 05:04:20 am »

So shmup=Defender.

I found it on the internet defined as "shoot em up".

If you are doing a game of this type with a steampunk theme, you should include Martian war machines, airships, and various other vehicle types from the genre.
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 08:20:03 am »

no the train is not flying I have not made the bridge yet. Wink
Too bad, I like the idea of a flying train. ha
PrinceofMars
Deck Hand

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 03:08:01 pm »

So shmup=Defender.

If you are doing a game of this type with a steampunk theme, you should include Martian war machines, airships, and various other vehicle types from the genre.
way ahead of you buddy making my first airship now
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2016, 05:05:34 pm »

there's not a lot of vertical real estate for the player ship to move and dodge bullets.

Basically, the whole bottom half of the screen is spent on art that the player can't use.

I like the idea of the train being on tracks, but make the player ship look more like an air-ship (thus being more manueverable than the train).

Is the player ship defending the train or trying to stop it or trying to beat it to the destination where the giant BossBot will be assembled?

If the player is attacking the train, imagine the ship is slowly catching up to the train.  Thus, we approach from the rear, and the level is about the player taking out the defenses on the cars.  One car might be a flat bed with a man with machine guns for arms.  Another might be a turret car.  So instead of the player shooting horizontally, he's shooting downward at the train's defenses.

Thus, it's not until the end where we get to the locomotive and the nefarious RoboLimb that might make it into EvilStation where it will be assembled.

Perhaps there's 4 levels like this, representing 4 trains, each headed into the station with a part.  If I stop a train, that's one less part for the BossBot at the end of the game battle.

PrinceofMars
Deck Hand

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2016, 05:27:51 pm »

Yes, I was thinking about screen space and ship size myself, I am basing the game on an old one called steel empire that had a large player ship and enemy sprite aswell https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu0XfveMK6Y as for how the level plays out I planed to start with a text screen saying the evil empire constructing a new weapon in it airship yards then you will start in the clouds fighting off wave after wave of enemy aircraft then take on that airship I posted once the airship is defeated you go down to the city and the train tracks and the city background will rise from the bottom of the screen then the first carriage will appear and it will be carrying enemy tanks and you will have to blow up 8 or 9 carriages one of which will be the robot hand then you get to the train itself now don't worry about hitting the train you will be able to reflect enemy bullets back with that orange force field you can see in the gif anyway I will think of someway to make it work
PrinceofMars
Deck Hand

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2016, 06:59:41 pm »

well this is the best sprite I have ever made
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2016, 10:38:20 pm »

So shmup=Defender.

Yes, that's what I thought too.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2016, 03:50:04 pm »

Sh-m-up has been around since the 80.
C=64 had ShumpCC which could build vertical shoot em ups Raiden/Super defense fortress macross or Horizental like R-type.

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2016, 08:46:42 am »

I too had to look up the etymology of shmup.

I fear I gave them up long ago, and when the urge moves me I load up my percussion revolvers and run out to the canyon to do the real thing ....
Colt 1851's and Remington 1858's to be precise.

good luck with your endevour!

yhs
prof ( muzzleloaders galore) marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
PrinceofMars
Deck Hand

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2016, 11:31:08 pm »

PrinceofMars
Deck Hand

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2016, 10:48:22 pm »

CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2017, 12:41:07 am »

Many likes!
PrinceofMars
Deck Hand

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2017, 06:51:32 pm »

Yes I am still working on this game I just spent forever trying to keep the framerate when you play it on phones and tablets I don't much to show off so here some concept art for the level 2 boss the idea is a submarine with a robot squid you would fight the sub then after it takes enough damage it drops the submarine and you have the fight the robot squid.
PrinceofMars
Deck Hand

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2017, 03:31:43 pm »

made a logo
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: