The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 24, 2017, 10:48:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An introduction  (Read 668 times)
Patrice Lemee
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« on: December 16, 2016, 09:58:57 pm »

Hi, my name is Patrice Lemee and I am a (hobbysist) knifemaker. But now that I have a little more shop time I would like to follow in my Dad's footsteps and make a few sculptures. Since I love the visuals of the steampunk genre, this is what I am gravitating to.
I am very new to all this so please forgive any “faux pas” I make and please correct me if I do.
I am hoping to share what I make and hopefully learn from all the great craftsman on here.

This is my first piece, in the works obviously.

Hope you like it and of course your input is welcomed.

Thanks for reading

Pat 

PS: I do have an instagram account if anyone is interested in following along, mostly shop stuff.
https://www.instagram.com/lemeeknives/

Patrice Lemée

Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 11:31:26 pm »

That looks interesting; do you have a definite direction for the final piece of is it growing organically?

Yours,
Miranda.
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 11:47:42 pm »

Hi, my name is Patrice Lemee and I am a (hobbysist) knifemaker. But now that I have a little more shop time I would like to follow in my Dad's footsteps and make a few sculptures. Since I love the visuals of the steampunk genre, this is what I am gravitating to.
I am very new to all this so please forgive any “faux pas” I make and please correct me if I do.
I am hoping to share what I make and hopefully learn from all the great craftsman on here.

This is my first piece, in the works obviously.

Hope you like it and of course your input is welcomed.

Thanks for reading

Pat 

PS: I do have an instagram account if anyone is interested in following along, mostly shop stuff.
https://www.instagram.com/lemeeknives/

Well as a native of (vicinity) the great city of Sheffield, I'm quite interested in anyone continuing in the tradition of the 'Little Mesters' (as the various knife makers of the city were known, of which, to my knowledge, only one remains).

The piece you've shown (to me at least) seems oddly reminiscent of my mother's old singer sewing machine is that deliberate, or merely coincidental?

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 11:06:17 am »

Hello, and welcome aboard!

This is looking good already. It has overtones of 'death ray'  Wink

Will it be static, or are you going to light parts of it?

HP

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
Patrice Lemee
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 03:29:33 pm »

Miranda, the general direction is a mini-gun/sentry thingy but it sis also changing as I build it (I imagine that's what you mean by organically?) Same thing mostly when I make knives, I would love to be good enough to have a definite plan from the start but I don't, I need to physically see how things look to see if it works or not and change the design accordingly.

Madasasteamfish, any similarities with a Singer machine is purely accidental believe me. But my Mom did have one and I think I also have one somewhere in the house so maybe subconsciously? Wink As far as Sheffield, I like to think that I am helping in a (very) small way to perpetuate their legacy.

Hektor, this one won't be lighted but electronics is definitely something I want to learn more about to incorporate in future projects. First thing I need to learn more though is the right brazing/soldering processes needed for this type of sculptures.

Thanks all for the comments and warm welcome.
montrehomme 50
Officer
France France

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 08:18:13 pm »

Looking good, and don't worry, I never have a plan, at least nothing on paper, just a bunch of parts that bear no real relationship with each other.

Keep up the good work, and welcome!.
selectedgrub
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 07:56:02 am »

Nice bit of work there.
Thanks for sharing and welcome.
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 09:04:26 am »

Please keep posting, it looks interesting so far.
Patrice Lemee
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 03:02:45 pm »

Thanks again for the good words ladies and gents. Smiley

I am sorry Hez for not posting more but I will. I found out that if I want to do this, I need a more efficient access to hardware in my shop so been organizing that since then. Almost done so I will get back to work soon...I hope.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 09:43:46 pm »

This is looking interesting, Patrice. Keep up the good work - and if selected approves, it's definitely good work! Grin Grin
Patrice Lemee
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2016, 04:33:15 am »

Thanks Banfill, sure glad selected approves then. Smiley

Not a pic of the project but one of my shop with the organizing I am talking about. This is my main bench. Hope you guys (and gals) like it and like shop pics in general. Please let me know if you don't or if it is not something people post on here.

Next time if should be about the sculpture itself, promise. Wink
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2016, 06:05:33 am »

If Santa finds out how jealous I am of your shop I'll get coal for sure. Wink
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2016, 10:35:16 am »

Thanks Banfill, sure glad selected approves then. Smiley

Not a pic of the project but one of my shop with the organizing I am talking about. This is my main bench. Hope you guys (and gals) like it and like shop pics in general. Please let me know if you don't or if it is not something people post on here.

Next time if should be about the sculpture itself, promise. Wink

Nice setup!

It confirms my suspicions that a bomb has gone off in my workshop...  Grin

HP
Patrice Lemee
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2016, 08:46:19 pm »

Hez, it did take me about 20 years to get to this point...and of course I still want/need more. More space first would be great but then again that would mean I can get more tools. It never ends I tell you. Wink

Hektor, you must not judge your shop by mine. I do have a cleanliness problem/obsession. The shop vac is one of the tools I use most. Wink It is so messy in this pic I have a hard time looking at it for too long. Wink

Seriously, glad you like the shop guys. Surely more pics of it to come and if I get time maybe even a short video tour.
Patrice Lemee
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2016, 02:48:23 pm »

Time to get back to work. Here is the worktable I added recently to work on sculptures. Getting tight in there. Sad

Patrice Lemee
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2016, 08:22:59 pm »

Progress! Working on the gun barrels. It's all in the details, isn't it? As in most craft, the small details are what takes the most time but also what can (hopefully) take your work to a higher level.

Let me take this opportunity to wish all my new friends here a Merry Christmas and Very Happy New Year!

Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2016, 11:54:04 pm »

That is looking really good; the contrast between the steel, copper coils and brass works really well. Ans as you intimate, the Devil is in the detail, but God is in the finish.

Yours,
Miranda.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2016, 01:09:44 am »

Welcome to the forum, Mr. Lemme

Congratulations on your workshop and craftsmanship.

Given my aeronautical disposition, I can't help thinking that your contraption very much looks like a turbojet of some sort. It makes me wonder if the bike chain is part of some sort of starter. Perhaps we are looking at the rotor assembly of the first rotary combustion engine, and need to have some hapless minion to pedal it into sustained motion. A trained chimpanzee perhaps?

I remain at your service.

Adm. J. Wilhelm
USAS Orca.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: