The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 14, 2017, 03:25:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are airship groups an American thing?  (Read 685 times)
Thylacinus
Gunner
United States United States

« on: December 11, 2016, 09:03:16 pm »

I've noticed that some of my countrymen like to start airship groups with their friends. Does this happen in other countries, or is it an American thing?
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 10:20:31 pm »

I don't know if it's exclusively an American thing, but definitely that is a good observation.

Do beware, however, many of those "Airships" are entirely just literary or Internet "pen names" like my own, for example. Other names such as "Airship Isabella" (the entertainment-for-hire group - I believe now based in New Orleans?) are physical groups, made for convention or business purposes.

~ ~ ~

Adm Johannes Wilhelm
United States Airship Orca  Grin

Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 05:55:46 pm »

I suspect it's a handy way of forming a group, given that a ship is made of a crew and it gets a name and it sort of unifies everybody's personas when they show up to an event together.

At this point, Airship Pirate is getting to be the default suggestion/recommendation around my neck of the woods.  That and "you should get goggles and put them on your hat."

RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 07:12:48 pm »

Why always an airship? Why not a submarine crew, or a walking dreadnaught crew, or a criminal organization like Moriarty or Fu Manchu?
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 07:46:08 pm »

Why always an airship? Why not a submarine crew, or a walking dreadnaught crew, or a criminal organization like Moriarty or Fu Manchu?

Could be the "subversive organization" angle; that is, an airship crew, say, something like "the crew of" or "Ship' s company of" a vessel , for example "HMAS Marigold," or "Airship SS Defiant" would somewhat obviously be a steampunk-oriented fan group, while  Something like, say, "The Brass Tong" or Colonel Twisty's Gang" might be construed as having a somewhat less-savory "mission statement," so to speak.

I realize that all sounds hokey and farfetched, but one should remember the unrest in the world today, and the general (and understandable) paranoia of law enforcement organizations. I mention such as a reason why people might prefer the somewhat-cliche'd "airship" appellation.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 07:46:42 pm »

Because Goggles, Brown and Gears  Grin  I guess they're just cliché.

Although for me, the airship was the natural vehicle to express my aeronautical self. I had to figure a way to be in the sky. When an admiral became insufficient to express my whole self, I came up with a second character which better reflected my engineering side as well as personal side.

I remain, AYS

~~~
Adm. Johannnes Wilhelm, Chief of Staff, US Airship Command
a/k/a
Lt. Gen. Julin W. Bahlmann, Chief of Staff, US Airborne Corps of Engineers.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 07:50:59 pm »

Because Goggles, Brown and Gears  Grin  I guess they're just cliché.

Although for me, the airship was the natural vehicle to express my aeronautical self. I had to figure a way to be in the sky. When an admiral became insufficient to express my whole self, I came up with a second character which better reflected my engineering side as well as personal side.

I remain, AYS

~~~
a/k/a

Now, don't make me whip out my Republic Of Texas Airfleet particulars...
(lol) (though that might in fact seem "subversive" in light of recent developments. Dearie oh dearie me...  Cheesy)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 07:52:44 pm by MWBailey » Logged
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 09:36:12 pm »

Love that "Colonel Twisty"!
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 09:53:42 pm »

My first exposure to the concept was when I started looking to connect into SP forums and such.

The SteamPunk Empire site had a group listed for my city (the 42nd Airship Battalion).  to me, I assumed that was largely how that site organized folks.  Not actually true when I peruse all the group names, but I was still gathering data at the time.

My namesake persona is from an Adjacent Reality, where he formerly served in the Republic of Texas Air Cavalry, but now is an explorer of Adjacent Realities (on foot).

I stole the idea from StarGate of an Air Force Colonel, now hopping across worlds to explore and based it on alternate realities to explain the anachronisms and mismashes of themes we might encounter.

Anyway, not all of us are airship pirates.

Thylacinus
Gunner

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2016, 05:11:52 am »

I think Americans used to be known for their fondness for joining clubs (before we all became glued to our computers) and I wondered if the penchant for airships was a remnant of that tendency.

The airships only make sense to me if their members actually *do* something -- a couple of groups in my area make videos about their adventures, and at least one airship in Ohio has a philanthropic side. Otherwise I don't see the point. But I am not a joiner, and whenever I am forced to attend meetings they remind me of the Monty Python skit about the Society to Put Things On Top of Other Things.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2016, 10:19:49 am »

Well Dear Netizens,

I think Americans used to be known for their fondness for joining clubs...

being as how BrassGoggles is a Vitrual Club,  I see no reason why we cannot have Virtual Crews.

But I am not a joiner, and whenever I am forced to attend meetings they remind me of the Monty Python skit about the Society to Put Things On Top of Other Things.

Here now, I believe we are on film!

yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2016, 11:51:59 am »

Because Goggles, Brown and Gears  Grin  I guess they're just cliché.

I remain, AYS

~~~
a/k/a

Now, don't make me whip out my Republic Of Texas Airfleet particulars...
(lol) (though that might in fact seem "subversive" in light of recent developments. Dearie oh dearie me...  Cheesy)

By all means whip 'em out! What is your story. What is your struggle? Who is your enemy?

Subversive? No sir! Not subversive! Just history repeating itself. Isn't this what this forum is all about? We express our inner selves through the fantasy of anachronism. Discord is inevitable. Humanity has never been able to be at peace with itself. The wild pendulum swings one way, then the other. It's written in history. At least until the pendulum breaks and time comes to a full stop.

By the way, Old Admiral Wilhelm came to Texas from Bavaria as a young child when it was an independent republic. When Texas joined the union he was old enough to go to Westpoint. After the war broke out he stayed on the Union side.

The confederates, being much stronger than in real history, yet weak enough to be desperate, decided to ask for help from Emperor Maximilian in Mexico, and his brother Emperor Franz Joseph in Austria, as well as Napoleon III during the French Intervention. Promising the return of US un-incorporated territory back to Mexico, the Confederate States allied themselves with the Imperial Mexican forces, Austria and France, forming an Axis against the United States, and hoping to circle the Union in a giant Pincer manoeuvre over Northwestern Mexico and the American Southwest with a giant fleet high altitude airships flying at 35 000 ft to take advantage of the jet stream. Those high flying craft would help transatlantic flight as well as taking personnel and materiel past the Sierra Madre mountain ranges.

Seeing as the United States had engaged in war against Austria, Chancellor Von Bismark convinced King Wilhelm I of Prussia to declare war against the Axis, attacking Austria in Germany as well as attacking airships and troops sent to Maximilian in Mexico. The Prussians would counter the Austrian/Confederate airship technology by giving the US technical advice and supplying airships to the Allies.

In the mean time, the United Kingdom, realised that an alliance between the Confederate States and France would be disastrous, because there was a good chance France would block commerce between the Confederate States and the United Kingdom. Queen Victoria decided to silence British supporters of the Confederate States by force if necessary, and forcibly muzzled opposition to intervention. So it came to pass that the United Kingdom broke neutrality in the War and declared war against the axis.

When Captain Wilhelm commandeered the CSAS Alamo, he found aboard a strange Elven-like people known as the Luftschiffengel or "Airship Angels." They served as maintenance and engineering crew for the Austrian Airship Force. Wilhelm remembered from his own childhood in Bavaria that many centuries before, the Lufschiffengel came from an ancient class of people known as the "Angel People" or Engelfolk.  The Engelfolk were a type of Germanic "third gender," equivalent to what we know today as the "two-spirit" people among Native Americans. The history of the Engelfolk dates back to the first few centuries of Christianity, during the slow decay of Rome, when the new Roman Catholic Church decided to tolerate and give amnesty to the German third gender groups on condition they do not mix with the "regular-sexed" people, and preferably that they maintain celibacy. Naturally, celibacy was not something that was always followed, so the various Engelfolk groups survived through the ages, mostly settling in Central Europe and Greater Germany.

Now back in the 19th. C after Napoleon Bonaparte's conquests, the Holy Roman Empire was dissolved, and with it the control that Austria once had over the states in Greater Germany slowly waned. When Prussia began to dominate politics among the German states, the nationalist protestant movement headed by von Bismark began to persecute those Engelfolk in northern Germany on religious grounds. Eventually, these Engelfolk were pushed into Bavaria, and when Bavaria began to favour Prussia, that event created a diaspora of Engelfolk into Switzerland and Austria and other Catholic countries. They naturally sought employment, and found it among military services, in particular, serving as Airhip maintenance crews, as their small stature, gracile nature and formidable strength, combining masculine an feminine traits made them valuable crew members. They were not afraid of heights and the cold, and most importantly they kept to themselves as they knew they were always a target. They began to learn aeronautical engineering, and created an international secret society known as "The Guild of Icarus," or simply "The Guild," to protect the Engelfolk and others like them, and help their own kind emigrate and escape danger, as well as to advance their knowledge in the aeronautical sciences. Eventually, many centuries later, the Guild would have an important role to play in history, when they helped mankind escape the inevitable environmental cataclysm that ended humanity's reign on planet Earth.

During the Franco American Aerial Battle over the Desert of Sonora, Capt Wilhelm requested an audience and convinced President Lincoln to offer amnesty to the Engelfolk aboard. On condition of pledging allegiance to the Union, they wouldn’t be sent to Union prisoner camps, and instead be kept as crew aboard their own airships and receive a commensurate salary. While risky, Lincoln understood that the new stratospheric rigid airships needed to be maintained, and the Union lacked the expertise to engineer, maintain and repair these ships.

Lt. Gen. Julin Bahlmann started life as the son of a Bavarian Engelfolk and an Austrian woman, fleeing from religious persecution by Protestant Prussia. Once ze was old enough ze enlisted in the Austrian Army - eventually ze ended up serving as an Austrian engineer aboard the Austrian-Confederate CSAS Alamo - which was captured by then-Captain Wilhelm over the Desert of Sonora. More details on Bahlmann's history will be forthcoming, as I continue developing my story.

Story © Copyright 2016, John William Dunn

~ ~ ~

Yes sir, I have an airship. I captured the Confederate States Airship Alamo above the Desert of Sonora and made it my own, rechristening it the United States Airship Orca.

I remain at your service.

Adm. J. Wilhelm
United States Airship Command
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 01:07:52 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Stella Gaslight
Governor
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2016, 11:55:55 am »

Airships are easy for building costumes and personas. I have seen some groups grow as time goes on and make really well rouned personas that go beyond generic labels.  Personally I made a mad science sorority because it makes a a very flexable group that can add or subtract people depending on who is available. Besides villains have more fun any way.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2016, 01:22:11 pm »

Well Dear Netizens,

I think Americans used to be known for their fondness for joining clubs...

being as how BrassGoggles is a Vitrual Club,  I see no reason why we cannot have Virtual Crews.

I couldn't agree more..

Vitruly yours,

J. Wilhelm  Grin
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

rtafStElmo
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2016, 05:32:12 pm »

By all means whip 'em out! What is your story. What is your struggle? Who is your enemy?

Subversive? No sir! Not subversive! Just history repeating itself. Isn't this what this forum is all about? We express our inner selves through the fantasy of anachronism. Discord is inevitable. Humanity has never been able to be at peace with itself. The wild pendulum swings one way, then the other. It's written in history. At least until the pendulum breaks and time comes to a full stop.

Ah. Dear me; Its a bit complicated. It all stems from my fascination for/obsession with the Steam London RP. It's all about my characters J.S. Dreyfuss, his estranged and vampiric wife Morganthe; his aerial battlewagon "toybox" testbed airship the RTAF St. Elmo and  his crew Jock Loughmalley, Cap'n Ishmael, and niece Irene Frost; Undead Vampire Ninja Assassin Merovingia Harper-Chen; Mad Jack Pulsifer and his time-travelling airship the (formerly) RTAF Beau Rosin; The Republic of Texas Airfleet; Other People's Borrowed Characters; The entire wondrous alternate Victorian-England-dominated world of the RP and everybody's characters and contributions and how they relate back to mine, etc., etc.

Where to begin...

(More to come after brunch or perhaps a bit later... Here's a link to the formerly short-backstory-turned-serial-monstrosity, which might go a ways to explain a few things and a couple of secondary-character origins (shameless plug alert): http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15829.0.html)

A word of fair warning, it's already one and one-half books long, LOL...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 05:54:08 pm by MWBailey » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: