The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 12:09:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1/72 Victorian Figures  (Read 816 times)
Justin Time
Officer
United States United States

« on: December 11, 2016, 08:50:00 pm »

Does anyone know if any 1/72 scale Victorian or Edwardian era miniature figures exist?  I have need of some for a project and would rather not have to try to sculpt them from scratch.

Thanks in advance!

JIT

Have you never wondered what it would be like to walk between the ticks and tocks of Time?
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 09:52:14 pm »

http://www.acstadden.co.uk/Pages/OO-Figures.aspx

http://www.petegossrailwaymodelling.co.uk/p254667115

http://www.langleymodels.co.uk/acatalog/HO_OO_Artitec_Kits_Painted.html

These are all 1/76 scale (so close to 1/72 as to be indistinguishable).  Pretty widely available in the UK as it's a popular scale for railway modelling. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

Fabricator and temporally confused.

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 11:52:18 am »

Old Glory miniatures in the US carries a line of Victorian miniature figures in roughly that scale (their scale is called 25mm, the height a six-foot person would be).  Be aware they contain lead and come unpainted.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 11:54:11 am by Crescat Scientia » Logged

Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying
Justin Time
Officer

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 02:45:02 pm »

These might be just what I need.  Thanks  Smiley

JIT
Justin Time
Officer

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 02:46:16 pm »

Old Glory miniatures in the US carries a line of Victorian miniature figures in roughly that scale

Thanks for the link.  I'm really looking for civilians, which I should have specified, but it's good to know of a US source.  The lead is a bit worrying though.

JIT
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 03:21:57 pm »

Old Glory miniatures in the US carries a line of Victorian miniature figures in roughly that scale

Thanks for the link.  I'm really looking for civilians, which I should have specified, but it's good to know of a US source.  The lead is a bit worrying though.

JIT

They do carry Victorian civilians.  For example:

http://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/proddetail.asp?prod=WBS-74

http://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/proddetail.asp?prod=GHL-07

But yeah, lead. 

On the one hand, it is traditional for figures of this sort and keeps them inexpensive and flexible (Literally.  Lead is soft enough that these are pretty sturdy and not brittle.). 

On the other ... lead.

Most other miniatures companies who carry Victorian civilian miniature figures seem to use lead-free pewter if they use metal at all, but these days the scale of figures has crept up to 28mm, 30mm, or even 35mm, which starts to get appreciably larger than what you are looking for.
Justin Time
Officer

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 05:13:24 pm »

DOH!  Obviously I didn't look at American Civil War (yet).

The main trouble I have with most gaming miniatures is that the heads are sometimes enormous and tend to a cartoonish appearance.  But there's definitely some potential for re-working in those figures though.  Apparently beggars can be choosers Grin

I'm kind of surprised I haven't seen 3D print-on-demand figures in various scales, specific to historical Victorian/Edwardian.  Most of what I've found in that arena are fantasy-related or...inappropriate Shocked

JIT
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 05:24:41 pm »

The lead is a bit worrying though.

JIT

Although lead toys are not such a good idea, you're not going to be having that much contact with it are you?  If you are really worried you could wear latex gloves while painting them, but surely it's ingesting the lead that causes problems?

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
steiconi
Gunner
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 06:18:48 pm »

That was my thought about lead; you aren't planning to eat them, are you?  If not, the lead isn't much of an issue.
The worry about lead jewelry is that kids (including teen girls) may put anything in their mouths.
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 06:23:30 pm »

DOH!  Obviously I didn't look at American Civil War (yet).

The main trouble I have with most gaming miniatures is that the heads are sometimes enormous and tend to a cartoonish appearance.  But there's definitely some potential for re-working in those figures though.  Apparently beggars can be choosers Grin

I'm kind of surprised I haven't seen 3D print-on-demand figures in various scales, specific to historical Victorian/Edwardian.  Most of what I've found in that arena are fantasy-related or...inappropriate Shocked

JIT

It's a different market to be sure.  Historical gamers are rarely interested in civilian figures, so the market for them tends to be dominated by fantasy gamers.

The heads and hands of gaming figures tend to be large and exaggerated so that characters can be readily identified on a gaming table.  There is a recent art fashion towards more realistically proportioned heads and hands in some lines, but I am not aware of any that have produced historical Victorian figures.

As I understand it, 3D printing technology is still rather crude for objects on such a small scale.  Hopefully that will improve.
Justin Time
Officer

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 08:52:45 pm »

That was my thought about lead; you aren't planning to eat them, are you?

Don't judge me.  Grin

JIT
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2016, 09:23:50 pm »

Lead figures can be handled safely with nitrile gloves.  Be cautious when sanding them.  Once sealed with paint they are considerably less hazardous. 

Do not expose them long-term to vinegar, fresh wood, or cardboard, as all can trigger a chemical reaction that will reduce the lead figure to a pile of toxic grey-white dust.  Nonreactive plastic bags (such as ziplock bags)  are good for storage of lead artifacts.

Keep all lead away from children.
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2016, 09:29:27 pm »

(That's just in case anyone reading this thread now or in the future takes up the idea of lead figures.  I figure the more the advice is out there the better.)
Justin Time
Officer

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2016, 04:10:24 am »

Lead figures can be handled safely with nitrile gloves.  Be cautious when sanding them.  Once sealed with paint they are considerably less hazardous.

I've had enough dealings in the past with people who worked with lead (now deceased) to know it isn't something I'd want to mess with much, but thanks for the info.

I've seen some good 3D printed stuff with fine enough detail to make me think figures could be done, but the ones by Stadden look just about perfect for what I am conceiving.  So I may not have to do much but paint them in the end Smiley

JIT
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 04:19:08 pm by Justin Time » Logged
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2016, 04:19:55 am »

Lead figures can be handled safely with nitrile gloves.  Be cautious when sanding them.  Once sealed with paint they are considerably less hazardous.

I've had enough dealings in the past with people who worked with lead (now deceased) to know it isn't something I'd want to mess with much, but thanks for the info.

I've seen some good 3D printed stuff with fine enough detail to make me think figures could be done, but the ones Stadden look just about perfect for what I am conceiving.  So I may not have to do much but paint them in the end Smiley

JIT

Those Stadden figures do look nice.  I'm glad you found what you needed.
Justin Time
Officer

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2016, 04:20:22 pm »

Those Stadden figures do look nice.  I'm glad you found what you needed.

Thanks to you and James for your help  Smiley

JIT
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2017, 01:20:18 pm »

I've seen some good 3D printed stuff with fine enough detail to make me think figures could be done, but the ones by Stadden look just about perfect for what I am conceiving.

JIT

And full of lead, I can just about guarantee you. Not that I've ever had a problem with lead, except for those few times I've tried to set weight into a base by white-gluing bird shot or double0ought in there (which I later found out you shouldn't ever do as it will corrode the lead into an acetate which will expand until it doesn't fit in any more. I read of someone making a loco kit and white-gluing shot into the side tanks, and it split them off.)

Orkses is never beaten in battle. If we wins we wins and if we dies we dies fightin' so it don't count as beat. Even if we runs away it means we can always come back for anuvver go, see!

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2017, 09:47:11 pm »

Lead is poisonous through the skin as will as ingested but it would take a fair amount of exposure that way.  I used lead solder in stained glass making but wore nitrile gloves and washed my hands carefully after.
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2017, 09:58:40 am »

Pegasus have some plastics, but they will look like they've been way out west:
http://pegasushobbies.net/catalog/Models-Peg.-Figure-Sets-1/72-Scale-Figures/c107_1_11/p137/%237050-1/72-California-Gold-Miners/product_info.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: