The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2017, 04:26:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Design Your Own Tartan  (Read 1100 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« on: December 01, 2016, 01:14:23 pm »

Esteemed colleagues:

I've been having a lot of fun lately with a little tool I found at the Scot Web Tartan Search website, which allows you to design your own tartan by way of a web based application. At their disposal is a database of tartans obtained from the Scottish Register of Tartans

Scot Web (click on blue "Create Tartans Now" text to access the software):
https://www.scotweb.co.uk/tartandesign/

Scot Web offers to custom-weave any number of tartans (which are not copyrighted or otherwise have some restrictions, and keep a database of traditional and contemporary tartans, which they can reproduce from the official Scottish Register, plus a gallery of original tartans created by members of the Scott Web.

The Scottish Register of Tartans:
https://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/search.aspx

Naturally bespoke woven fabrics are going to be very expensive, and they have the restriction whereby you give Scot Web the exclusive right to weave your design should you save and register the design in their database - something for you to consider; however if you don't save the design in their database you are free to play around with the software, and nothing prevents you from writing down the colours and thread count of a design which you may want to create for yourself...

~ ~ ~

As to why I'm, playing around with this, you see, I have been looking for a kilt appropriate for a late-19th. C. United States armed forces division.  If you're wondering whether any US armed forces ever wore kilts and and Tartans, the answer is yes, several instances, but most famously the 79th New York Volunteer Infantry, who shamelessly borrowed the name and kilt from the Scottish 79th Regiment of Foot (Cameronian Volunteers) also known as Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/79th_New_York_Volunteer_Infantry
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen's_Own_Cameron_Highlanders

~ ~ ~

I'm in the process of pairing a US Army navy blue frock coat and cloak coat to a kilt for two of my alter ego Steampunk characters, Admiral J. Wilhelm, and Chief of Staff Julin Wodinaz Bahlmann, the later of whom is described at the Queer Geer (including the development of the entire uniform).

Source for 3 photos below: http://www.ushist.com/american_civil-war_uniforms.shtml

Officer's Shell Jacket US Civil War Period (1861-1865)

Officer's Frock Coat US Civil War Period (1861-1865)

Officer's Frock Coat with cape, US Civil War Period (1861-1865)

Actual coats to be used as part of the Steampunk uniforms:

Base for Frock Coat, United States Airship Command [Fictitious], Great Transatlantic War (1864-1872)
for Admiral J. Wilhelm

Base for Cloak/Cape Coat, Chief of Staff US Airborne Corps of Engineers [Fictitious], Interbellum Period (1872-1890)
for General Julin Bahlmann

The uniform will incorporate the traditional navy blue and black worn by officers between 1772 in the Virginia Militia (commanded by then-Col. George Washignton), and 1890, when khaki brown uniforms were phased in, leading to a period of brown and green uniforms which officially ended in 2009, when the navy blue uniform was reinstated.

Because the period for these characters is centred around 1870, during the [real history] Indian Wars Period, and the US Army was phasing in Khaki service uniforms, the officer uniforms will be a variation of blue and incorporate elements of brown.

Having looked at the Scottish Tartan Register, I failed top find any tartans which incorporated the uniform colours, namely blue, black and brown. That's when I decided to generate my own tartan. Here are some patters I have developed:

United States Airship Command 1870 Pattern #3

United States Airship Command 1870 Pattern #8

Do you have any particular patterns you would like to try?

I remain at your service.

~ ~ ~

J. Wilhelm

« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 10:27:11 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 01:36:03 pm »

I've designed a pattern but not had it weaved of registered yet.

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 12:21:43 am »

I had a look at this a couple of years ago, and it's grand fun to let the imagination run riot! Grin

Being of Irish blood, the 'kilt' should be either saffron or green, as introduced to the Irish Regiments, but I notice a trend for the counties and families of Ireland are taking to the Scottish style of tartan in quite a big way.

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 06:00:34 pm »

I had a look at this a couple of years ago, and it's grand fun to let the imagination run riot! Grin

Being of Irish blood, the 'kilt' should be either saffron or green, as introduced to the Irish Regiments, but I notice a trend for the counties and families of Ireland are taking to the Scottish style of tartan in quite a big way.

Indeed, it's great fun. Alas, I don't think I can afford to weave my own tartan. However, the clan associated with the British side of my family, Erskine, is commonly available. I still have a couple of good  Lochcarron scarves with the two colours for Erskine. My favorite already has a number of holes on it, probably falling prey to moths and other insects. I can replace it for about $30.  The fabric yardage is also very cheap, at about $45-$55 per metre, also from Lochcarron (available from Scot Web).

Because I hardly have any contact with my paternal side of the family and the surname is so uncommon, it is difficult to determine with certainty if my family had a true connection with the Erskine clan, but it's great fun to have that. My maternal side is much better documented and a rare name, so barring any genetic discontinuities, I can go back to a Basque matriarchy in the 1200's and I know with certainty that my family coat of arms (Mainland Europe rules) is true. Coincidentally, the Erskine tartan has some of the same patterns as the main charge in the shield... Cheesy

I think I'll settle for a Heritage of Scotland kilt for now, which in acrylic wool I can get for a mere $55.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 10:27:33 am »

Also being of Irish blood, our families colours are black and yellow.
To distinguish my own line from the others, I have added 3 red lines along one side to represent the main character of my books most identifiable trait.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 07:55:00 pm »

Marking this thread to Look at it later. It looks like Linda my thing Wink

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 12:21:47 pm »

Linda? Who's Linda? I she a lovely young lass? But calling her a "thing" is not so nice!   Wink  Cheesy  (I jest, I jest) Wink
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 05:19:06 pm »

Linda? Who's Linda? I she a lovely young lass? But calling her a "thing" is not so nice!   Wink  Cheesy  (I jest, I jest) Wink

That's a thing called autocorrect. Just got a new phone and it needs to adapt to English or it'll keep correcting things wrong.

I am enjoying this tartan generator a lot.
steiconi
Gunner
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 06:37:48 pm »

I had fun playing with the generator, but apparently my color sense is more Madras than Edinburgh.  Purple!  Green!  Yellow!
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 05:02:48 am »

Dear ladies, you should browse through the catalogue of member’s tartans. Also there are some that you can't see on Scot Web (because they are "restricted" i.e. copyrighted or need approval from the owner), such as this one created by a Canadian dentist:

https://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/tartanDetails.aspx?ref=10166
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 07:39:55 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 07:33:15 am »

For the immediate future, I purchased a relatively inexpensive 5 yard full-length kilt made of acrylic wool in the "Pride of Scotland" tartan, a commercial design very similar to that registered as "Highland Pride of Scotland" to McCalls of Aberdeen (purple and green lines are reversed).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mens-5-Yard-Scottish-Kilts-Tartan-Kilt-13oz-Highland-Casual-Kilt-6-Tartans/111955073241

https://www.tartanregister.gov.uk/tartanDetails.aspx?ref=1715

Highland Pride of Scotland. McCalls of Aberdeen STA ref: 6477

Together, the kilt and coat complete the outer shell of my Airship Angel/Luftschiffengel Steampunk outfit (US Airborne Corp of Engineers, General Julin W. Bahlmann, above), allowing me to go out in full Steampunk costume during cold weather. This was the closest I could get to my design for a reasonable price in a reasonable period of time.

As I wrote at the Queer Geer on my costume development, I'll be needing the kilt and coat very soon -we'll be below zero Celsius sometime between Thursday night and the wee hours of Friday - so this year we are looking at having a cooler Xmas. I guess there's a chance we'll at least see some ice sheets and possibly a snow flurry.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 10:39:26 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 04:12:01 pm »

i love this site....it makes me want a kilt even more :C
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2017, 11:04:29 pm »

Just make sure you don't go off kilter with it  Tongue  Grin
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 12:17:42 am »

Just make sure you don't go off kilter with it  Tongue  Grin

That's certainly an issue not to be skirted.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 11:14:37 pm »

Never a 'skirt'!!!

Mr Wilhelm, just a quick observation - the short jacket shown should have front cutaways below the waist in order to clear the sporran. That is just about visible in the print of the American regiment showing kilted soldiers with the trousered variety. I love wearing my kilt (Buchanan Hunting) but the opportunities are few. However, Burns night is on the horizon!

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2017, 12:36:37 am »

If I were to go with the Scottish variation of my Irish name the tartan would be Macquarie, which is red and green. The primary colour on the coat of arms for my Irish name is green, with a touch of either red or yellow, depending on being of either senior or cadet branch.
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 01:05:44 am »

Never a 'skirt'!!!

Mr Wilhelm, just a quick observation - the short jacket shown should have front cutaways below the waist in order to clear the sporran. That is just about visible in the print of the American regiment showing kilted soldiers with the trousered variety. I love wearing my kilt (Buchanan Hunting) but the opportunities are few. However, Burns night is on the horizon!

You're correct, of course, Mr. Fitziron -  if there is a sporran at all! However, the uniform in question, will have different "hardware" so to speak. Being Steampunk, the uniform will bend the rules a bit. Like America, the complete uniform for the fictitious US Corps of Airborne Engineer personnel (Airship Angel/Luftschiffengel) is an amalgalm of ethnic influences. The inner layers of the uniform are strongly influenced by the rural origins of the German Engelfolk crew - namely a highly modified Lederhosen, with leather components and the "high tech" fabric of the time, black Denim. That was a concession by the United States Corps of Engineers, as a practical landing party uniform for the captured Austrian crews who were given a choice between going to Union prisoner Camp or serving under the US banner. The kilt and coat are meant to be practical outerwear for the service uniform.
Madam Takara
Snr. Officer
England England

Lady Aveline Tamara Claudia Read III... or Madam T

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2017, 06:13:27 am »

Oh my goodness THANK YOU for putting this up! How timely!
I've just created some characters in my novel who are a Scottish werewolf clan (don't ask...) and I really wanted to design them a tartan of their own. This is totally useful just to play around on the design tool!

Medicate with tea ♥

......don't piss me off.....or I shall put you in my next book.....
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2017, 10:57:17 am »

I've just created some characters in my novel who are a Scottish werewolf clan (don't ask...)

I am intrigued
Madam Takara
Snr. Officer
England England

Lady Aveline Tamara Claudia Read III... or Madam T

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2017, 04:09:08 pm »

I've just created some characters in my novel who are a Scottish werewolf clan (don't ask...)

I am intrigued

Haha thanks. I don't get to bring them in much until later books, but they're certainly fun to write about xD
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2017, 02:10:36 am »

Technically, ladies shouldn't wear kilts, they being a male item of clothing. Ladies wear a long skirt in the tartan, with accompaniments.

Bit of a moot point for me either way, as I don't wear skirts (or dresses) of any kind. Hangover from the motor bike riding days, and they just don't suit my physique (to be polite!)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 02:12:15 am by Banfili » Logged
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2017, 04:06:10 pm »

Technically, ladies shouldn't wear kilts, they being a male item of clothing. Ladies wear a long skirt in the tartan, with accompaniments.

Bit of a moot point for me either way, as I don't wear skirts (or dresses) of any kind. Hangover from the motor bike riding days, and they just don't suit my physique (to be polite!)

I wear pants. I will wear a kilt.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2017, 09:13:51 pm »

I know that lady Highland dancers wear kilts. In the old days they just tucked their skirts up into their waistbands! Such shocking behaviour! Grin
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2017, 12:50:54 pm »

I know that lady Highland dancers wear kilts. In the old days they just tucked their skirts up into their waistbands! Such shocking behaviour! Grin

they indeed do. the official "ladies kilt" would be the kilted skirt, but i prefer the full on kilt as men wear it. sporran and belt included.

(dancers in their kilts)

(kilted skirt)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: