The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 22, 2017, 09:14:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Somebody buy this Airship Cracker Jack Prize  (Read 673 times)
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« on: November 27, 2016, 05:18:29 pm »

This is not my offering; I chanced across it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-CHARM-PRIZE-PREMIUM-TIN-TOY-AIRSHIP-w-PROPELLER-TWO-MEN-SEATED-PENDANT-/162287070644?hash=item25c9102db4:g:3jwAAOSwzLlXhSkW

But it looks like it has real steampunk appeal and since I'm not buying it, I rather that someone else here did.
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Fabricator and temporally confused.

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 06:38:42 pm »

A charming catch.  Thank you for bringing attention to it, and I do hope someone buys it.

Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 06:44:40 pm »

I think it looks sort of crappy. If you hadn't told me it was an airship, I wouldn't have realized.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 07:29:42 pm »

It looks like it might have been intended to have a balloon put through the ring.
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 09:09:17 pm »

I think it looks sort of crappy. If you hadn't told me it was an airship, I wouldn't have realized.

It's nicer than what Crackerjack prizes had devolved to by the time I was a kid.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 02:31:32 am »

The old Crackerjack prizes were ceramic and tin and cast metal, the later made by Tootsietoy in Chicago, who was also the original producer of metal Monopoly play pieces. By the time I was born, they had switched to plastic, and at some point in the 1990's, they switched to paper items like stickers and miniature trading cards out of the fear that stupid children would try to eat the prizes and choke to death, thus denying the future gene pool of that valuable contribution.

Current Crackerjack prizes suck.
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 03:02:57 am »

The old Crackerjack prizes were ceramic and tin and cast metal, the later made by Tootsietoy in Chicago, who was also the original producer of metal Monopoly play pieces. By the time I was born, they had switched to plastic, and at some point in the 1990's, they switched to paper items like stickers and miniature trading cards out of the fear that stupid children would try to eat the prizes and choke to death, thus denying the future gene pool of that valuable contribution.

Current Crackerjack prizes suck.

They were already exclusively paper items by 1980, mostly stickers and temporary tattoos, as I recall.

That's when I swapped over to Fiddle Faddle.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 03:04:32 am by Crescat Scientia » Logged
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 08:08:15 am »

They were already exclusively paper items by 1980, mostly stickers and temporary tattoos, as I recall.

They were heavy on the tattoo booklets by then, but I remember getting a plastic magnifying glass circa 1990.
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 01:09:12 pm »

They were heavy on the tattoo booklets by then, but I remember getting a plastic magnifying glass circa 1990.

Wow, score!

Sorry for speaking with such certainty above.  It was only my personal experience at that time.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: