The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 21, 2017, 03:47:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk photographer attire and camera  (Read 2998 times)
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« on: November 27, 2016, 12:47:46 pm »

I'm in the progress of my first full Steampunk attire. It's going to be a Steampunk photographer. A combination of two big hobby's.
The first thing I can show you is the tophat. I was going to make it out of paper maché, but that didn't work out. The paper shrinked beyond wearable proportions. So I decided to use the paper tophat as a template for a metal wire tophat. After the metal wire was soldered, I started covering it with fabric. I used the stretch fabric used in jogging pants. The inside looks a lot like felt, but is more flexible and stretchable. This is what it looks like, so far:

The next part is the camera. I've made a frame for a large format field camera. I've used 2"x2" wood to make the frame and tripod. Next up is making the bellows. The idea is to stick my DSLR camera lens through the round hole. This way, the entire camera is out of sight.

Tips and ideas are welcome.

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 03:12:00 pm »

I will be watching this one, good so far, and glad to see you back good sir, you have been missed ya' know..........

Kensington Locke
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 03:39:27 pm »

I've had the same idea for a camera for a while as my wife is into photography.

The wood looks massive, I can't get a sense of scale, so it looks like you used 2x4s for the tripods.  Is that the case and isn't that heavy?

For tripod legs, check out Cezanne portable easels.  All wood construction, with extendable legs.
http://www.jerrysartarama.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/0/0/0060964000000-st-01-cezanne.jpg

I look forward to seeing the progress.

bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 04:23:40 pm »

Thank you for the welcome back, SeVeNeVeS. It's been a while I've been here. It's good to notice that Brassgoggles is still alive and kicking! Cheesy

The wood is 44mm square pinewood, stained to a cherrywood. It's not as heavy as it looks, but it's rather bulky.
I've been trying to make extendable legs, but it's to wobbly for a relativly heavy camera body. For this purpuse, these legs work fine.

The plan was to make some kind of rig inside the camera to hold my DSLR, but that would limit the freedom of my camera.
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 07:19:07 pm »

Yay! Glad I'm not the only one to have this idea (been meaning to do it for a while). I'll be following closely.

And welcome back.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 11:09:40 pm »

Nice to see you back, bicyclebuilder!

By-the-by, anyone seen or heard of Maets and Herr Docktor recently??
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 02:24:18 am »

Good to see you back B-Builder!

yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 02:31:58 am »

Maets has been "out" since Oct 9, Herr Docktor since Sep 15.
One hopes they have been overly occupied with otherwise useful activities..

yhs
prof ( not so useful ) marvel
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 08:56:55 am »

Maets has been "out" since Oct 9, Herr Docktor since Sep 15.
One hopes they have been overly occupied with otherwise useful activities..

yhs
prof ( not so useful ) marvel

Herr Docktor is still knocking around the Aetherweb somewhere or other, and occasionally sticks his head in the mod's break room every now and then.

Can't say anything about Maets really.
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2016, 07:41:08 pm »

Thank you all for the replies. I have no idea where Maets and Herr Docktor are.
I was trying to find Xenos and Akumabito here, but it has been a while for them also they logged in.
But it's good to see my old friends here! It's good to be back. Smiley

Back to the project, the tophat: After some testing and good concideration, I decided to smooth out the fluffy bumps of the fabric with wallpaper glue. If all goes well, it should make the hat a bit more ridgid and smooth. The one thing I'm worried about is that the wet fabric is going to sag. But so far it remains in shape.
Cmdr. Storm
Officer

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2016, 12:55:59 pm »

This is Looking Super Cool. have You Thought about Maybe using some Cold Braiding to Trim Your Top Hat? Some Photogs from that Era had their Hats trimmed with Gold Braid or Cord IIRC. Welcome Back and Hope to see More Awesome Stuff from You.
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2016, 07:17:50 pm »

I've just sealed the fabric with suede/leather spray. It should be water resistant right now.
Overall it looks good, but the edges show some stitches. Gold braid or cord would emphasize the imperfections.
It could use some extra's though. I don't want to add to much weight to the hat, but some goggles might be added.
I'm wearing glasses, so wearable goggles are not practical. The goggles are going to stay on the tophat.

The theme is "Steampunk photographer" so the goggles have to add something to that story.
Perhaps a mechanical iris for one (or both) of the goggle glasses.

Meanwhile, my lovely mother has found a pattern for a 3 peice suit.
I'm going for the one on the right. I have got tweed and corduroy for the jacket and pants.

The camera hasn't been worked on since the first pictures. For that, I need to make a pattern for the bellows. I've made bellows before, so it shouldn't be hard to make. It's rather time consuming though.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2016, 09:20:09 pm »

Are you going to add a lining to the hat - black silk, perhaps? And your mum has scored a winner with that suit pattern!
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2016, 07:50:05 pm »

I have some lining for the suit I'm going to make. If there is any lining left, I can use that for the hat.
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2016, 10:09:36 pm »

What about a flash pan attached to the top hat?  or at least a light weight imitation of one possibly with a wick.  And a press card.
I'm glad to see you back and looking forward to seeing this "develop". ( Wink )
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2016, 10:21:31 pm »

What about a flash pan attached to the top hat?  or at least a light weight imitation of one possibly with a wick.  And a press card.

I like those ideas.

Note, I'm more keen on the camera box/tripod.  Hats in steampunk are a dime a dozen.  You'll think of something and it'll be amazing on your head.  The camera thing, that's not something we see ever really.

bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2016, 10:02:26 am »

I agree, Kensington Locke. A tophat is common in the Steampunk-realm. Just put a goggle on it and call it Steampunk. Cheesy

The character I'm going for is a wealthy gentleman who loves to travel and loves photography. So the attire and props are going to be a blend of photography and travelling. A press card would be out of place. A flash pan would be nice, but only if it would actually work. In order to move the camera and all around, I'm thinking about making some kind of suitcase/trunk/trolly. A suitcase with wheels, but not small skateboard-size wheels, but kid bicycle size ones.

But first thing first...

I think I'm going to make the bellows after the weekend.
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2016, 08:15:27 pm »

Note, I'm more keen on the camera box/tripod.  Hats in steampunk are a dime a dozen.  You'll think of something and it'll be amazing on your head.  The camera thing, that's not something we see ever really.

How about a really, really long (really long) extension bellows, possibly drooping between the camera and the lens?

I do like the hat, you could hang a lot of mechanism in there without it drooping or soiling a good hat. Might be heavy though...

HP

Funny story- I wanted a tripod when I was young and going to break into animation... once I had built most of the stuff and learned how to use it... anyway, off I went to my favourite DIY shop, which had trays and boxes of odd things that I used to spend too much pocket money on.
So, I looked at all of the wood, and worked out how much I could get for the money I had; some bent wobbly pine...
I had a half-hearted look in the tat bins, and found 6 nice long pointy hardwood varnished - legs. With brass ferrules on the end...
They were, with a couple of other bits, tripod legs!

50p for the lot Smiley

nice!

sorry for the tale!

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2016, 11:37:26 pm »

I agree, Kensington Locke. A tophat is common in the Steampunk-realm. Just put a goggle on it and call it Steampunk. Cheesy

The character I'm going for is a wealthy gentleman who loves to travel and loves photography. So the attire and props are going to be a blend of photography and travelling. A press card would be out of place. A flash pan would be nice, but only if it would actually work. In order to move the camera and all around, I'm thinking about making some kind of suitcase/trunk/trolly. A suitcase with wheels, but not small skateboard-size wheels, but kid bicycle size ones.

But first thing first...

I think I'm going to make the bellows after the weekend.

so check out the legs on that Cezanne easel I linked to.  Imagine your 2x2 legs, with a 1" channel routed out to hold 1x1 extension legs that slide out from the channel.

Thus, your tripod collapses to make it take up less space to fit into your travelling case.  Also, having that mechanical complexity will add to charm.

Peter Brassbeard
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2016, 04:16:18 am »

A lot of places you might want to operate, flash powder would be very much unwelcome.  But an imitation based on "crystal resonant" technology (LEDs) could work well.
Newchurch
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2016, 08:24:24 pm »

*watching with considerable interest!*
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2016, 05:02:20 pm »

A little update on the camera. I have made the template for the bellows.

I'm currently making the ribs out of cardboard shoe boxes. They are 2mm smaller than the template lines, so they will fold nicely.
Next, I glue the ribs on the template, then I glue fabric to the ribs. After that I remove the template from the ribs and glue the edges together.
More pictures later...
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2016, 11:42:25 pm »

This is a really interesting project - thank you for sharing the work in progress. I had one thought in relation to the hat (although it may be too late at this stage): given its metal structure (excellent work there), I think I'd be tempted to carry this structure inside the hat to make little cubby holes to hold some less weighty items of equipment, with doors on its outside to access them.

I'm looking forward to seeing the progress on the camera,

Yours,
Miranda.
Peter Brassbeard
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2016, 07:48:04 pm »

A photographers gadget hat?
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2016, 01:46:30 pm »

A little bit done. The bellows frame is done. now time to glue on the fabric.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: