The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2017, 08:45:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Archived: COUNCIL WARS Out-Of-Character Thread  (Read 19061 times)
fmra
Snr. Officer

Dollmaker

« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2007, 03:10:01 am »

Oh, please do not bind-and-gag yourself.  I want to see if Mrs Gray can get as close as you want her to without collision or "other" (wink) things happening and what Octavius is planning on doing.  I'm hoping an Indiana Jones style leap, but the outcomes are endless and I liked to be as surprised as anyone. Smiley

Plus, Octavius has two full decks to ascend to get to the platform, all waiting for some chance encounter.

Tempus Rerum Imperator.

"But that's not steampunk hjghahkahjkfdsahjklfdsa!!!!!11one11" -- Anachronist

20,000 leagues below Chuck E' Cheese
MrFats
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Heretic Chronogadgeteer

« Reply #76 on: March 22, 2007, 03:12:33 am »

I believe Miss Grey and I left it at a broken transmission, and unknown whereabouts of Mr. Gransville.

That's where it shall remain. Let us see what the others have to say.

Fueled by coffee, powered by steam
Scientist, philosopher, photographer, writer
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2007, 03:18:19 am »

I'm simply waiting a reasonable time before Lazaras is shown doing anything. After all going from point A to B with old style lifts isn't exactly a speedy affair.

Cheapie Theatre
Want something to read? Got ten minutes to kill? Here you go!
MrFats
Snr. Officer

Heretic Chronogadgeteer

« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2007, 03:20:11 am »

Indeed, Octavius was running whilst speaking...it shall take some time for that as well...We shall all see where this ends up.
Luminous Grey
Gunner

The sky outside is...

« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2007, 03:28:34 am »

What's that you say? Broken transmission? Yay! Now I can go eat dinner and possibly sleep tonight.

*refreshes page and reads new post*

Oh ******... ^^;

Heh, you need to edit your earlier posts, dear Octavius.

So I like to get high off the dust on the 170-year-old books in the library. What of it?
Proud Member of P.I.R.A.T.E.S.
MrFats
Snr. Officer

Heretic Chronogadgeteer

« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2007, 03:31:56 am »

edited. Octavius shall be running for the rest of the night, as I too, must adjourn for the night (ah, the duties of a parent/scholar)
Ottens
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

Gatekeeper

« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2007, 01:45:01 pm »

I believe it would be practical if all players opened their in-game posts with the name, function, possibly affiliation & if unclear, location of their character in italics . . . one simple line, like:

Ottens, Elder of the OBSCURE, on board the Peril

Text here . . .
MrFats
Snr. Officer

Heretic Chronogadgeteer

« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2007, 04:26:09 pm »

I just posted, for now. I tried the method you spoke of, Mr. Ottens.
Mr. Shank
Gunner

*In deep thought*

« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2007, 10:52:37 pm »

Ottens, Elder of the OBSCURE, on board the Peril

Text here . . .

I too did as well.
I believe that method will work nicely.

"Peace cannot be kept by force, it can only be achieved by understanding."

-Albert Einstein
fmra
Snr. Officer

Dollmaker

« Reply #84 on: March 23, 2007, 01:31:52 am »

I'm glad to see other people incorporating others characters into their posts.  I think it makes the story flow more smoothly, rather than having a thousand two-line posts.

I think now would be a good time to remark on the common sense and etiquette of "borrowing" a character.

-You can move them around and have them hold a dialog, but do look into their creator's portrayal first.  I doubt Ottens would appreciate me having his character change into a clown suit and start throwing pies. 

-Make sure their are not being occupied at the moment doing something else.  Mr. Lawson can't be talking to your character at the instant he is also in a closed meeting...

-Return the player's character in a condition similar to which you found him.  Don't amputate her limbs, burn her ship, and throw her over board, unless you've talked this all over with the player and have permission to abuse them a bit.

-If some has beat you to posting and has otherwise moved the character in a way that ruins continuity, be polite and revise your post or contact the previous poster and see if an agreement can be found.

-Basically, just use the golden rule..

Not that anyone has really done anything yet to make this mandatory, but I figured I'd post pre-emptively...

Smiley
Mr. Shank
Gunner

*In deep thought*

« Reply #85 on: March 23, 2007, 01:42:30 am »

Yes I had noticed this.
I would be reading a post and then the other person would move along with it. Say, you, Salvage, would move Lazaras, you know it kinda screwed with me.
But as long as its cooridnated, I suppose it would be okay.
And no killing other peoples characters. Period.
Thats just mean and rude, and no good will come of it.
(Even though thats already mentioned, I wanted to restate it)
MrFats
Snr. Officer

Heretic Chronogadgeteer

« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2007, 01:46:05 am »

Indeed, I concur with Mr. Shank, and Mr. Fmra. I usually rp my own characters, but your use of a clockwork as a means of distraction for Octavius was fine, as well as the use of my character.
Ottens
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

Gatekeeper

« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2007, 01:54:06 am »

Thank you for laying out these guidelines, fmra.  If nevertheless you feel that your character was in some way "mistreated" (which doesn't necessarily have to be serious of course) then you should never hesitate to PM the authour and request changes; I think no-one would object to make the small effort to alter some things. Smiley
fmra
Snr. Officer

Dollmaker

« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2007, 02:46:03 am »

Good point, Ottens.  And along with that, remember to skim over the last couple of posts to make sure everyone is still where you think they are.  If you don't, and edits have been made, you mind just complicate things.  You don't have to reread every detail.. and it'll make your posts that more accurate and fitting.
fmra
Snr. Officer

Dollmaker

« Reply #89 on: March 24, 2007, 03:46:57 am »

Putting out the fires and returning to "normal" in Salvage:

Tomorrow begins my birthday and my celebratory weekend for it.  I'll be out for most of the next three days, though I'll pop in as time permits.

It seems that this beautifully dark little coming together during the fires is starting to peter out, and before it get too melodramatic, I've decided its time to start ending it.  HAC has a ship flying in and has offered to help, as well as MrFats invention edited out earlier.  Everyone who wanted to post in has had enough time to join the fray, so please feel free to aid.  I will attempt to have the city guard and whatnot continue to help and tie stories together to end this.

If we should leave the fires behind totally before Tuesday, please note, I will not be in to play city characters, so please do use them as needs.  Just check the char sheets for an idea of their personality and maintain continuity.

Thank you and I'll see you all Tuesday (at the latest if I can stay away...)

Fmra Smiley

PS: This thread is a great place to line up storylines, but if there is a derailment, Our courageous moderator, Dohickey may be able to help clear things up. Smiley
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 03:49:23 am by fmra » Logged
MrFats
Snr. Officer

Heretic Chronogadgeteer

« Reply #90 on: March 24, 2007, 03:58:53 am »

For now, at least for Octavius, he shall be running (at least until Sunday) as I have obligations I must attend to. Also, I would like to see what everyone else posts for their characters.

Also...Happy Birthday, fmra!
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #91 on: March 24, 2007, 05:50:02 am »

Would the owner of the deus ex airship please kindly explain why you felt you had to destroy Lazaras's mind? Its the size of a city...and its flying, oh and it has weapons of mass death destruction and fire control.
MrFats
Snr. Officer

Heretic Chronogadgeteer

« Reply #92 on: March 24, 2007, 06:06:19 am »

Well Sir, I must remind you that this is a powerful man you are referring to, so he would command a very large ship! It is indeed, quite vast, but, seeing as how my character is still to consumed with the thought of his captain's well being, he continued, in spite of the ludicrously large ship overhead. Also, fire control is but a simple matter, and fmra did say it was time to put it out. With the Vaporous Blue unable to use what I had asked her captain to, it was only a matter of time before someone else took care of the matter.

Luminous Grey
Gunner

The sky outside is...

« Reply #93 on: March 24, 2007, 06:11:57 am »

I wasn't gonna say nothin', but... yeah. God-modding = kinda not cool. In regards to the matter being taken care of, there are some less fantastic ways of doing it, probably.

I think, one person can easily start something dramatic, but it takes many people for it to happen. This whole thing started with a single ship, and it only got interesting because of the rest of us.

Just my two cents.
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #94 on: March 24, 2007, 06:18:38 am »

You have to remember, unlike your character, Lazaras doesn't have much experience with airships, moving cities, and the like. To see something the size of your average city flying towards you and shoot lightning then put out a raging inferno....it would be like for one of us to see the coming of the Death Star. Lazaras just isn't used to operating on that kind of scale. He's barely able to keep his wits about him in the dockyards under normal conditions.
MrFats
Snr. Officer

Heretic Chronogadgeteer

« Reply #95 on: March 24, 2007, 01:42:54 pm »

I completely understand, and it makes for a more interesting story. I was merely stating is all.
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #96 on: March 24, 2007, 01:47:44 pm »

Something I learned early one(through harsh lessons and a rather non-leniant group) is that its always best t othink things through as your character before posing(be it in real time or in forum posts). Then again I more or less learned this thing by playing MU*s so I might seem a bit odd around here.

Now how to snap Lazaras out of this.
MrFats
Snr. Officer

Heretic Chronogadgeteer

« Reply #97 on: March 24, 2007, 01:52:00 pm »

MU*s? oooh..I see. Well, Octavius has just tried yelling, seems to have been for naught.

At least the fire is gone. Now, on to other matters.
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #98 on: March 24, 2007, 01:54:55 pm »

Yes, such as seeing what looters have done to my ship(broken windows or deck planking I can live with, lost lives...I'd rather not think on what might happen to the offending party then.).
Luminous Grey
Gunner

The sky outside is...

« Reply #99 on: March 24, 2007, 05:00:00 pm »

Well that was resolved easily then wasn't it. Well, I guess that whole mess is okay for now, but I'd be glad if we didn't have such simple (and mind-blowing) solutions in the future.

And on another note... what are you all doing posting so early on a Saturday morning...? (Just got up 45 minutes ago.) I'll be out on errands today, so hopefully Grey won't be needed too direly for anything. I'm just kind of flapping around uselessly anyway.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: