The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 11, 2017, 11:55:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Is A Compound As A Building ?  (Read 622 times)
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« on: November 18, 2016, 10:57:04 pm »

(Put it here since said compound was said to be part of a industrial district )

Today i heard the word compound use to design a building of some sort. What this word mean in this context ? What french translation would you give in this case ?

For context, here the My Haunt Life episode i heard it (disclaimer: Quite long, but you heard the word at least once in the first hour):
http://www.myhauntlife.com/episode-32-tension-experience-end/
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 10:59:38 pm by chicar » Logged

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 11:02:41 pm »

I would say a grouping of identical, utilitarian buildings, such as at a military base.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Fabricator and temporally confused.

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 11:07:26 pm »

I don't know the context you heard it in, but in English "compound" referring to buildings means basically a group of related buildings with a context of privacy, secrecy, or the military.  The implication is that the buildings are somehow walled off, fortresslike, but they may not always have literal walls.

For example, there is the grandly named Kennedy Compound in Hyannis Port, Massachusetts, which is simply three houses near each other which the Kennedy family owned.  They are no more than fenced off much like any house.

Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 11:44:30 pm »

or the Branch Davidian Compound where a group of people had a conflict with the FBI over some stuff that was in the news.

In usage I've seen, it tends to refer to more than one building, perhaps with a fence or other security.

Down in Honduras, where a friend of mine has family, the more wealth families live in a walled compound, basically a wall and the house and maybe not more than that. 

The practice is almost always tied to security reasons, so while my quite normal suburban house is not a compound.  If I set a patrol of cult members around the perimeter, suddenly it becomes one.

chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 11:58:17 pm »

Yes, you're right i just had too little too late the idea to search for ''compound building'' and it effectively refer to a group of related building.

And it make sens in the cult HQ setting the reviewed haunt storyline is set.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 12:00:43 am by chicar » Logged
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 10:12:14 am »

My Dear Chicar

One example of a "Compound" is The Spanish Hacienda  ( in Spanish-speaking regions a large estate or plantation with a dwelling house. ), consisting of 3 or more buildings surrounding a courtyard, with a gated wall at the open end.

These were originally built with no *exterior* windows on the first floor, or windows equipped with thick & heavy iron clad shutters
in order to be easily defensable from attack . In the bad old days, the rich might expect to be attacked by bandits, gangs,
rivals, or even small spillover from wars . The interior courtyard usually incorporated a well and  was a small irrigated greenscape
in an arid area, where the owner could relax in the cool shade of trees, grass, gardens, and perhaps a fountain.

here is a typical rich man's home

here is the Martinez Hacienda, showing how the interior courtyard is used for irrigated grass,trees, and a vegetable garden.
The courtyard provided a sheltered area that protected the trees and garden from weather extremes.
"The Martinez Hacienda is an adobe walled compound dating to 1804 that served as the Martinez residence, the local social center and the fortress from which the local Mexicans and Indians withstood frequent Comanche attacks. The Hacienda has 19 rooms of which about 14 are restored and furnished as they would have appeared in the mid-19th century."

exterior

courtyard

kitchen

master bedroom

here is Bent's Fort located in SouthWest Colorado, a trading fort based on the Hacienda design

yhs
prof marvel
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 10:14:38 am by Prof Marvel » Logged

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: