The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 21, 2017, 01:58:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Places to dress Victorian...  (Read 481 times)
sportell
Deck Hand
Germany Germany

« on: November 07, 2016, 11:15:13 pm »

My fiance and I are getting married this March in Germany.  Our clothes will be Victorian.  I would LOVE to pop up to England for a long Honeymoon weekend and continue the Victorian theme.  Does anyone know where we could spend our days walking around in Victorian clothing and somewhat have the atmosphere while catching a few museums?  I understand most Victorian themed locations discourage visitors from dressing Victorian so they are not confused with the staff, so any themed parks or villages are probably not an option.  Thanks for any help in this.
frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 11:22:31 pm »

If you would let us know the date you will be over here someone will be able to help.  Congratulations.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 12:38:13 am »

If the weekend could be delayed to April then one obvious choice would be the Whitby Gothic weekend (just been announced - 21 to 23 April).

Yours,
Miranda.
Esme Moore
Snr. Officer

Poet and amateur retrophrenologist

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 07:00:57 am »

Museums with a dress policy? Really? Good heavens, how absurd! Granted, Edwardian-style skirt-suits are nearer to modern, but I used to live in those (literally, as in every day wear, including going to the shops and to work) until I shrunk - they need re-tailoring- inculding visits to museums and never once had any bother from offcialdom. Indeed, I'd be inclined to say that you should feel free to wear Victorian clothing where, as and when you please. I know and/or have seen folk that live their daily lives in a range of vintage wear from 1950's back through to Victorian-influenced Goth in this very city of Birmingham.  You've every right to dress as you please so long as you're not offending common decency!
sportell
Deck Hand
Germany Germany

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 09:44:48 am »

Thanks.  We have 17 March reserved for our wedding, so long as all documents are translated in time. :-)  It wasn't so much museums that don't allow people to dress up, but some places with costumed interpreters.  Colonial Williamsburg tends to frown on it, from past experience, unless we were part of the events.  I've had friends asked to change before coming into a themed village.  I understand the reasoning.  It's not that they want to tell you what to wear, it's more to keep guests separate from the costumed staff.  From their perspective, the staff visually stands out and if you have jerks or uninformed tourists dressing up, other guests will not be able to tell the difference and it can lead to negative reviews and bad business.

The Goth event sounds neat, but we'll be a bit too early.  We can always dress up wherever we go, but it would be nice if there are a few places with a Victorian atmosphere in between all the modern hustle and bustle. Anywhere in England is fine.  We're not limited to London.
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 09:29:54 pm »

It would be remiss of me not to mention the Black Country Living Museum in the west midlands. There is also Birmingham iitself with its galleries and museums. From experience I can say we don't usually have any problems when in full apparel

Tis' bona to vada your dolly old eke.
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 02:50:21 am »

There are very few places here that would discourage you in Victorian dress.  English Heritage do not like it at events where there are costumed entertainers.  Be careful at histyoric houses open tothe public as sometimes the rooms are too small for crinolines.  But a lot of such places are not open before Easter anyway.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: