The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 02:21:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk*d the "reality" show  (Read 500 times)
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« on: November 05, 2016, 10:01:36 pm »

I'm probably late to the party on this but i finally watched episode 1 on netflix.
bleah
I realize it is a competition but the snarkiness and put downs are so foreign to the generous sharing of knowledge and praise that i have seen at every  steampunk convention and maker event that I have been to.
Kensington Locke
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 12:22:46 am »

I'm probably late to the party on this but i finally watched episode 1 on netflix.
bleah
I realize it is a competition but the snarkiness and put downs are so foreign to the generous sharing of knowledge and praise that i have seen at every  steampunk convention and maker event that I have been to.

A lot of that is artificially generated/edited by the producers.

I talked to 2 of the contestants from the Jim Henson's puppet contest show on Sci-Fi at a local convention.  Turns out one of the other contestants was sneaking in and working during the night and other shenanigans.  They didn't show that, but they did kick him out.  The "angry" guy from that show turned out to be real nice, and he didn't like how they portrayed him, by focussing on a few comments he made.

We just finished watching SteamPunk'd a few weeks ago, and it surely makes one guy out to be a "my way or the highway" kind of person.  Is that really how he is, or have they taken key moments and played those, and skipped the ones where he mellows out his stance in a discusssion.

Ultimately, I hate the contest format.  It was one thing I liked about Stan Lee's who wants to be a superhero,  as it tended to focus less on that kind of thing and more on the character and contests.

We watched the show, despite that, just to see design ideas and concepts, rather than the drama of it.
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

Fabricator and temporally confused.

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 11:59:17 am »

I don't care for the mutation of informative teaching shows into ritualized scripted gladiatorial combat with rigid assigned roles in some currently fashionable version of a morality play.

I watch informative teaching shows -- or rather, I used to -- to learn how to do things.

Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying
robertdmoores
Deck Hand

Gravatar

Lord Erebus Rotomagos

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 05:12:47 am »

bleah

I'm working on episode 4.  You're totally right - the attitude of the contest just feels all wrong and too "American Idol".  Even the judges like to sharpshoot people from their apparent pedestals.  It drives me crazy - I just wanted to watch talented people build steampunk gadgets!
robertdmoores
Deck Hand

Gravatar

Lord Erebus Rotomagos

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 05:21:18 am »

Ultimately, I hate the contest format. 

I think you nailed it right there.  They even turned it into this "team captain" melodrama that I thought grown-ups left behind in gym class.  Watching people be the last one chosen is kind of painful; watching team captains clash with people who want to be captain is painful; watching someone work her butt off on a costume - clearly proud of herself - and then get sent home as the weakest member is painful.  It's just not right for a genre defined by its inventiveness to rely on such primitive dominance politics.
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 03:35:44 pm »

I think you nailed it right there.  They even turned it into this "team captain" melodrama that I thought grown-ups left behind in gym class.  Watching people be the last one chosen is kind of painful; watching team captains clash with people who want to be captain is painful; watching someone work her butt off on a costume - clearly proud of herself - and then get sent home as the weakest member is painful.  It's just not right for a genre defined by its inventiveness to rely on such primitive dominance politics.

Well, it was aired on the Game Show Network, so we had to expect this kind of thing.

I think I would have preferred a format like those make over shows (be it car, house or wardrobe).  Where the team comes in and SteamPunks a room in your house and supplies you with a new outfit.

There, with the consistency of a team working together, rather than competing against each other, you'd get better social dynamics and could focus on the craft, rather than the politics.

robertdmoores
Deck Hand

Gravatar

Lord Erebus Rotomagos

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 04:24:00 pm »

I think I would have preferred a format like those make over shows (be it car, house or wardrobe).  Where the team comes in and SteamPunks a room in your house and supplies you with a new outfit.

There, with the consistency of a team working together, rather than competing against each other, you'd get better social dynamics and could focus on the craft, rather than the politics.

There it is.  That's the show I'd love to watch!
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 03:36:21 am »

See...Why didn't they ask you?

Well, it was aired on the Game Show Network, so we had to expect this kind of thing.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: