The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 15, 2017, 10:43:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [YouTube video] Victrola Style Passive Speaker  (Read 561 times)
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: November 05, 2016, 07:42:14 pm »

Browsing through various videos I came across this interesting project - a Victrola style passive amplifier for a cell phone. The builder shows the various stages of building the horn and tubing and how to make it all work, and some may find various parts of use for their own projects (particularly the building of the horn from paper and using spray-on products to stiffen it).

BUILD: Victrola Style Passive Speaker

Link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tFLF6fd-mo

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 07:02:16 am »

Browsing through various videos I came across this interesting project - a Victrola style passive amplifier for a cell phone. The builder shows the various stages of building the horn and tubing and how to make it all work, and some may find various parts of use for their own projects (particularly the building of the horn from paper and using spray-on products to stiffen it).

BUILD: Victrola Style Passive Speaker

Link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tFLF6fd-mo

Thanks for posting. Using the Plasti Dip spray and the truck bed liner compound spray  is the most important bit of idea that I have seen so far in making horns. You wouldn't believe how laborious is is to make a horn even though it sounds simple. In the absence of making the horns out of soldered metal sheet, it seems to me that this is a good method, and even better if you use other absorbent materials.

I have promised myself to make a 2nd generation boombox, and this may actually get into my project  Smiley

selectedgrub
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 07:11:44 am »

you wouldn't believe how laborious is is to make a horn even though it sounds simple.

Wouldn't mind seeing pics of your horns.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 10:14:14 am »

That is not a euphemism!

I've seen speaker horns for iphones on sale in shops but they were usually made from a rubber-like material.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 06:55:23 pm »

In the past I have made a cone using the old car audio enthusiast method of ladies nylon tights and fibreglass resin - worked reasonably well, the cone shape was perfect but I found the edge of 'big end' to be a tad rough looking. With appropriate tools and some sanding it could probably be made to look much better.
I like the paper method better as it gives a good result without too much work, handy for a quick project. Using an absorbent material like blotting paper would probably make a stronger and stiffer cone.

This has given me some ideas for quick projects. I rather fancy making a crystal radio, and I think with a suitably shaped cone it might be possible to make it loud enough to listen to without headphones...  Smiley

As I have pretty much all the parts I need in my junk bin, I think I might just have a tinker tonight and see what I can make.  Grin
selectedgrub
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 05:51:05 am »

you wouldn't believe how laborious is is to make a horn even though it sounds simple.

Wouldn't mind seeing pics of your horns.

Bump
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: