The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2017, 04:05:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Needing Beta Readers for a Steampunk Novella  (Read 495 times)
NicoleN
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Gravatar

« on: November 01, 2016, 09:15:35 am »

Hi guys, first post ever here.

I'm kind of looking for people to read through a short story/novella I've recently finished. I'm currently working on editing through it and it's going well. I really want to get other people's opinions though and as it's got a bit of a steampunk flavour I thought I'd try here. It's fantasy as well, set in the distant, distant future. There is a bit of language and innuendo so I'm aiming at a more adult audience.

It's about the airship The Black Tide, a pirate ship hiding in plain sight in a city that pretty much hates them. The captain is trying to find crew and money and there's a chance that he could get caught.

I've only recently discovered steampunk and I love it already. I'm a little unfamiliar with writing it though so I'm worried that I haven't got the feel right. I'd love to know what you guys think, because you are kind of my target audience.

I was thinking that I might post chapters here as they come up but if people would like to read the whole thing I can email it to them.

I don't know if this is allowed so if I've done it wrong please let me know.
Kensington Locke
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 01:47:47 pm »

I'm kind of looking for people to read through a short story/novella I've recently finished. I'm currently working on editing through it and it's going well. I really want to get other people's opinions though and as it's got a bit of a steampunk flavour I thought I'd try here. It's fantasy as well, set in the distant, distant future. There is a bit of language and innuendo so I'm aiming at a more adult audience.

It's about the airship The Black Tide, a pirate ship hiding in plain sight in a city that pretty much hates them. The captain is trying to find crew and money and there's a chance that he could get caught.

I've only recently discovered steampunk and I love it already. I'm a little unfamiliar with writing it though so I'm worried that I haven't got the feel right. I'd love to know what you guys think, because you are kind of my target audience.

I was thinking that I might post chapters here as they come up but if people would like to read the whole thing I can email it to them.

If it's not kosher here, check out Writing.com, that's where I go.  They have a section for posting chapters and getting reviews and feedback.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 09:32:45 am »

There are other moderators who are more knowledgeable than me on the topic of sharing novellas. But is there if no exchange of money or if it's not being promoted for sale here then the novella may not have to go to the "Trading" section, as we would ask from anyone selling something of asking for money.

In my opinion sharing one's novel prior to publication does not violate any forum rules, and there are other Steampunks here at Textual writing for fun. I think the sticking point becomes the inconvenience of posting your work gratis here prior to potential publication, and the legal issues that entails between you and a publisher for any future contract you may have - we theoretically don't get affected at all, since you'd willingly release your work and it'd been well documented in this forum.... So the problem is more on your side of the court, so to speak...

NicoleN
Deck Hand

Gravatar

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 11:54:11 am »

There are other moderators who are more knowledgeable than me on the topic of sharing novellas. But is there if no exchange of money or if it's not being promoted for sale here then the novella may not have to go to the "Trading" section, as we would ask from anyone selling something of asking for money.

In my opinion sharing one's novel prior to publication does not violate any forum rules, and there are other Steampunks here at Textual writing for fun. I think the sticking point becomes the inconvenience of posting your work gratis here prior to potential publication, and the legal issues that entails between you and a publisher for any future contract you may have - we theoretically don't get affected at all, since you'd willingly release your work and it'd been well documented in this forum.... So the problem is more on your side of the court, so to speak...

Thank you. I'm not selling it or asking for money, just opinions so I don't think it's classed as trading.
In terms of copyright, it's still in draft mode and once I've got feedback I'm likely to be editing it any way so it won't be quite the same any more. I'm going to be self publishing, not sending to a publisher so that part shouldn't be a problem either.
Thanks for your information though, I was a little worried that I'd put this in the wrong place. Now I'm fairly certain that I'm in the right place. Thanks!
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 12:12:11 pm »

Ya know what, we get requests like this quite often and for some reason this one has piqued my interest.

I haven't read a book since The Wasp Factory almost 20 years ago, so yeah do it, why not, post away and I for one look forward to the intial drafts..........

NicoleN
Deck Hand

Gravatar

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 09:10:45 am »

Ok, I've had at least one person interested and the fact they've not read a book for 20 years makes me sad. So I'm posting the first chapter of the as yet unnamed novella. I've put it in spoilers so it's a little easier for the thread to handle.
And please, don't be nice, be as honest as you can. I don't need nice, I need honest to god opinions. Tell me if it's crap or boring.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 01:57:40 pm »

Obviously I am in no way in a position to judge or comment, not being a reading kinda person, hopefully more knowledgeable people on the forum will take the time to cast an eye. We have quite a few here that read alot and write their own novels, fingers crossed you receive some positive, subjective comments.
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 03:32:35 pm »

It occurred to me I might have one more bit of useful advice.

Post your book on Google Documents then invite people (who volunteer from here) to share your document with.

Google docs has reasonably good commenting and edit recommendation features.  That's how my beta testers review my work.  They read, highlight a section and type a comment via the tool.  Some readers (like my wife) I give full edit rights, so she can just fix any mistakes she finds.  Others, they can only read and comment, which doesn't damage my work.

This also helps you retain some control as you haven't posted your work on a public forum.  It's also a lot easier to work with than reading your chapter in a spoiler tag.  I popped it open and found it hard to digest in that format.

NicoleN
Deck Hand

Gravatar

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 03:58:39 pm »

Post your book on Google Documents then invite people (who volunteer from here) to share your document with.

Google docs has reasonably good commenting and edit recommendation features.  That's how my beta testers review my work.  They read, highlight a section and type a comment via the tool.  Some readers (like my wife) I give full edit rights, so she can just fix any mistakes she finds.  Others, they can only read and comment, which doesn't damage my work.

This also helps you retain some control as you haven't posted your work on a public forum.  It's also a lot easier to work with than reading your chapter in a spoiler tag.  I popped it open and found it hard to digest in that format.

That's actually a much better idea then what I did. And the comments will be actually with the section they're talking about. Thank you very much Mr Locke
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 05:50:31 pm by NicoleN » Logged
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 08:00:51 pm »

That's actually a much better idea then what I did. And the comments will be actually with the section they're talking about. Thank you very much Mr Locke

Glad to help.

I've written all my current projects on Google Docs.  It's OK as a word processor.  I like that it's inherently backed up (in case I lose my PC) an that I can easily share files rather than send copies for testing/editing and not have to manage merging multiple files worth of changes back in.  I can actually see who is actively in my document as they cursor around in it.

My process I've worked out so far is:
make an outline using the outlining tool and save that as its own file.
copy the outline into a new document and turn the elements into Heading 1-3 lines (click on the line, and click on the Heading 1 button).
disable it from being in outline mode.
using the headings enables a Table of Contents effect.
Start typing beneath a heading until the story moves to the next heading (then move the cursor to that heading and resume).

This gives me the ability to see how my story changed from the outline (because I kept a copy)
I will change headings and such as needed when things evolve in the writing, compared to what I outlined
You can decide to remove or rename your headings when you want to.  I save them until the end, when I decide where chapter breaks are and such (which tend to align with some of those headings.

In my case, I am writing a novel in the guise of sequential long stories (11-18 thousand words).  I use one file per story. Thus I can release a story to testers while I work on the next one, without them getting too early readings on stuff that is in progress.  Don't need them reading the half-finished first draft of chapter 3 that I plan on reworking the beginning on.

robertdmoores
Deck Hand

Gravatar

Lord Erebus Rotomagos

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 11:21:53 pm »

Hi Nicole!  I'd be thrilled to read and offer feedback!  If you're still looking for someone then email or direct message me.  I'm pretty good at being honest without breaking hearts.  Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: