The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 04:44:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: watch chain  (Read 464 times)
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« on: October 30, 2016, 08:36:44 am »

I'm making a decorative chain for my pocket watch!

« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 08:40:32 am by Caledonian » Logged

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 12:51:35 pm »

Really like the process piccies, are you gonna solder the link joints? looks like copper wire which could be weak. Not criticism but a weak link could end up with a lost, valued pocket watch.

Do post updates.

Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 01:05:35 pm »

It is copper wire. My mom has soldered them shut using silver solder, i sadly don't have pictures of her working on it...
Astalo
Zeppelin Captain
Finland Finland

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 12:14:06 am »

I you want to make it stronger, you can use double links like in this copper bracelet. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_IXSaHNDvY_8/TOGI61BfsVI/AAAAAAAADtw/bMatvvL7MLE/s1600/IMG_8215.JPG

Also changing the link diameter a little bit smaller, would make the chain stronger.
WinterHaven
Snr. Officer
Latvia Latvia

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 09:27:44 am »

I you want to make it stronger, you can use double links like in this copper bracelet. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_IXSaHNDvY_8/TOGI61BfsVI/AAAAAAAADtw/bMatvvL7MLE/s1600/IMG_8215.JPG

Also changing the link diameter a little bit smaller, would make the chain stronger.

And charmingly unusual, I like those doubled chains a lot.

Caledonian i've made jewellery but never a chain, I admire your patience! Looks like it's going to be a lovely piece, thank you for sharing WIP pictures, and don't forget to  show us it 'in situ' when finished Smiley

'If you were going to make a ghost-trap, how would you set about it? -particularly if you had not even a small ghost to practice on.' -Wyndham
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: