The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 15, 2017, 09:04:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where are the Steampunks?  (Read 1597 times)
annevpreussen
Gunner
United States United States

Captain Annemarie of the Eagle's Arrow Airship

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2016, 10:38:30 pm »

I always loved that cut on women, actually (as I'm attracted to women), but at some point it's something I decided to own myself as part of my own gender variant identity. So it was a natural for me.

Well, it looks great on you! Cheesy I wish I had the courage to cut my hair short. Right now it's long and reaches down to my belly button, which is nice because there's a lot I could do to style it, but I'm lazy so I rarely do. Short hair seems so much more practical!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I guess my everyday look does give me away as a steampunk, despite not being vicwardian
I'd say so

I'd say so too! And what a lovely hat!

I wear goggles so you can't see when I'm staring at you.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2016, 11:09:55 pm »

Hmm... one reason might be that modern doorways are simply not wide enough  Cheesy

Yours,
Miranda.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2016, 08:34:43 am »

Hmm... one reason might be that modern doorways are simply not wide enough  Cheesy

Yours,
Miranda.

I've seen ladies in hoop skirts try to go to the toilet at festivals....that looks like a pain.

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
annevpreussen
Gunner

Captain Annemarie of the Eagle's Arrow Airship

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2016, 11:18:58 pm »

Yours,
Miranda.

I've seen ladies in hoop skirts try to go to the toilet at festivals....that looks like a pain.

Even sitting down in a hoop is a challenge! I've never been able to do it gracefully, and I have absolutely no idea how to go about it. Does anyone with more experience have any tips?  Cheesy
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2016, 11:45:47 pm »

Yours,
Miranda.

Even sitting down in a hoop is a challenge! I've never been able to do it gracefully, and I have absolutely no idea how to go about it. Does anyone with more experience have any tips?  Cheesy

It helps if the hoops have plenty of flexibility so they bend around the chair; in my crinoline I've used thin plastic plumbing pipe for the hoops and that works really well. Aside from that, slightly lift the crinoline at the rear as you sit and be prepared to perch on the edge of the chair!

As to answering the call of nature, best to 'go' just before heading out to your event and then don't drink too much at it...

Yours,
Miranda.
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2016, 10:13:22 pm »

Yours,
Miranda.

It helps if the hoops have plenty of flexibility so they bend around the chair; in my crinoline I've used thin plastic plumbing pipe for the hoops and that works really well. Aside from that, slightly lift the crinoline at the rear as you sit and be prepared to perch on the edge of the chair!

As to answering the call of nature, best to 'go' just before heading out to your event and then don't drink too much at it...

Yours,
Miranda.

So you're basically raising your skirt up from the rear to sit on the seat with your bloomers?

I'm imagining the logistics of that, and not in a lewd fashion, and it just seems really complicated.  It seems like using a toilet would require a lot more bunching up of outfit, just to get in position on a toilet which is an unclean environment anyway.

You have my sympathies for the hoops one must jump through for fashion.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2016, 11:00:20 pm »

So you're basically raising your skirt up from the rear to sit on the seat with your bloomers?

I'm imagining the logistics of that, and not in a lewd fashion, and it just seems really complicated.  It seems like using a toilet would require a lot more bunching up of outfit, just to get in position on a toilet which is an unclean environment anyway.

Not quite - the slight raising is just to stop the hem of the skirt catching on the legs of the chair; so long as the hoops are flexible enough you can still have it decently covering all aspects whilst sitting  Wink

There is video online posted by an historical reenactor relating to the subject of, shall we say, 'powdering one's nose' whilst in a crinoline. Mainly it hinged on the fact that Victorian undies were much more loosly fitting than modern knickers, so once the hoops were hoisted out of the way it was fairly easy to answer the call of nature.

Yours,
Miranda.
Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2016, 03:12:30 pm »

If you want to get good at navigating with big skirts in small places try useing the potties at renaissance faires. You have less space than a closet and a whole lot of no touch zones.  But if you can get in there you can make it almost anywhere.

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2016, 12:43:23 pm »

If you want to get good at navigating with big skirts in small places try useing the potties at renaissance faires. You have less space than a closet and a whole lot of no touch zones.  But if you can get in there you can make it almost anywhere.

Oof.

At fairs here, hoopskirt wearers are allowed to use the disabled facilities.
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2016, 02:28:18 pm »

Where are the Steampunks?

I checked under the table and there is only one here.

Someone else must have the rest.

Lightquick - Steampunk Widgets and Icons of Some Worldwide Repute
Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2016, 06:48:06 pm »

Caledonian we can use those too but finding a non occupied one is the trick.  Our fare could use a few more.
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2016, 10:44:22 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.

Yours,
Miranda.

Cleva deva, you are!
That 'thin plastic plumbing pipe' is a lifesaver for crinos at events, indeed.

And most sensible advice about liquids!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2016, 11:19:30 am »

Yours,
Miranda.

Cleva deva, you are!
That 'thin plastic plumbing pipe' is a lifesaver for crinos at events, indeed.

And most sensible advice about liquids!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

We really should get a larger font for previous posts when quoted.
I was scrolling down past all the comments re the difficulty of ladies powdering one's nose in a hoop skirt to find the last reply was:

"That 'thin plastic plumbing pipe' is a lifesaver for crinos at events,  "

It took a mind-boggling moment to check that you were referring to the earlier hoopmaking post.   Shocked

However, I do concur with that.
Deployed overseas a few years ago, it was decided to celebrate the NewYear with an impromptu fancy dress party.
One crafty young lass managed to create a full black crinoline skirt from a few plastic garbage bags and a length of flexible communication wire conduit

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2016, 11:52:39 am »

My dear Fairley B. Strange. Your comment on my comment
 "That 'thin plastic plumbing pipe' is a lifesaver for crinos at events,  "

Was

"It took a mind-boggling moment to check that you were referring to the earlier hoopmaking post. "

So sorry to be confusing- it's my specialty before the coffee kicks in properly.
How clever of your colleague to make a crino that way!

I see that the combo of crinos, plumber's tubing and bodily functions at events is susceptible to a plethora of unwanted imagry.
But before we decently shroud this subject, I'd ask our gentle readers to consider the problems  associated with the cleanup after ''powdering one's nose in a crino''

I avoid these considerations by avoiding crinos. My steampunk avatar uses a modified lady bicyclist wardrobe with elastised waists which can be lowered and later tucked back under the corset. No fuss, no muss.
I use and make these or similar http://orientalfashion.co.uk/36-145-thickbox/dark-blue-harem-pants.jpg

The cuffs tucked into high boots, the waist tucked under the corset.
Apt for travel, events and comfort!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2016, 08:16:18 pm »

(snip)

I avoid these considerations by avoiding crinos. My steampunk avatar uses a modified lady bicyclist wardrobe with elastised waists which can be lowered and later tucked back under the corset. No fuss, no muss.
I use and make these or similar http://orientalfashion.co.uk/36-145-thickbox/dark-blue-harem-pants.jpg

The cuffs tucked into high boots, the waist tucked under the corset.
Apt for travel, events and comfort!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

How eminently practicality and effortlessly elegant!

Yours,
Miranda.
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2016, 04:35:07 pm »

Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen.
Yes, indeed! The emphasis is on the boot and it's adornment.
You can always combine this with an overskirt with bustle, too, to steam up the effect.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

Fabricator and temporally confused.

« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2016, 05:15:39 pm »

Yours,
Miranda.

One of the more neglected areas of art history is how furniture design goes hand-in-hand with clothing design.

It is easier to sit in furniture that is built to accommodate one's clothing. 

Note, for example, how the leather wingback chair, a staple of gentleman's clubs, is utterly impossible for a lady of the time to sit in.

May I suggest reading collections of old Punch cartoons from the middle nineteenth century.  They seemed to derive endless amusement from the distress of ladies in hoops trying to navigate ordinary spaces, but there may, in there, be some useful hints.

Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2016, 05:19:48 pm »

Yours,
Miranda.

Yours,
Miranda.

I'm imagining the logistics of that, and not in a lewd fashion, and it just seems really complicated.  It seems like using a toilet would require a lot more bunching up of outfit, just to get in position on a toilet which is an unclean environment anyway.

Until the twentieth century ladies rarely wore bloomers at all.

They were considered unhygienic, embarrassing, and a little disgusting.

When worn, they had separate legs and no crotch, or rather a split crotch from waistline back to front.  They were not pulled down to use the toilet.

Women used the toilet facing the back, not the front.

All this is why modern reenactors have so much trouble with toilets.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2016, 07:49:50 pm »

One of the more neglected areas of art history is how furniture design goes hand-in-hand with clothing design.

Note, for example, how the leather wingback chair, a staple of gentleman's clubs, is utterly impossible for a lady of the time to sit in.

May I suggest reading collections of old Punch cartoons from the middle nineteenth century.  They seemed to derive endless amusement from the distress of ladies in hoops trying to navigate ordinary spaces, but there may, in there, be some useful hints.

There's definitely a point there. Still, I'm more of a chaise lounge person myself  Wink When we were up in Edinburgh, the tour guide showing us the sights along the royal mile stated that the railings along many balconies, of the kind that bow out at their base, were created to allow wide skirts to accommodated. I don't know just how much veracity there is to this statement, though...*

When worn, they had separate legs and no crotch, or rather a split crotch from waistline back to front.  They were not pulled down to use the toilet.

I was aware of this, but I'm afraid there is no way I'm sallying forth in crotchless knickers! As to approaching the loo in the opposite way to normal, unfortunately the state of many public conveniences might make this a none too pleasant experience...

Yours,
Miranda.

*This just stirred a thought - does anyone else think a Steampuk'd outing to the Edinburgh Festival would be a fun thing to do?
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2016, 11:50:08 pm »

I wonder if this was deliberate by all parties involved.

Obviously, the gentleman's club benefits from excluding women by virtue of its seating (from the sense of the term, not as modern social commentary).

Consider the reverse, a woman wealthy enough to afford and wear hoop skirts is inherently hobbled from entering work zones.  Thus setting her up as "I don't do menial things."  That's not a bad thing if you're a rich woman wanting to make sure it is clear what your station is.

Please note, I'm speaking of deducing 1800's culture intent, not endorsing it.

Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2016, 02:51:10 am »

I wonder if this was deliberate by all parties involved.

Obviously, the gentleman's club benefits from excluding women by virtue of its seating (from the sense of the term, not as modern social commentary).

Consider the reverse, a woman wealthy enough to afford and wear hoop skirts is inherently hobbled from entering work zones.  Thus setting her up as "I don't do menial things."  That's not a bad thing if you're a rich woman wanting to make sure it is clear what your station is.

Please note, I'm speaking of deducing 1800's culture intent, not endorsing it.

Certainly another endless source of merriment for Punch cartoonists were the dilemmas experienced by young working-class women who were trying to dress fashionably despite their menial status and labors. Undecided

There is much to learn in old issues of Punch. Tongue
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2016, 11:04:12 am »

Yours,
Miranda.

Yours,
Miranda.

As a student of period undergarment fashion... well, I do write a lot of pseudo-Vicwardian pr0n, ahem, gentleman's historical journals, and do try to be authentic in the details... anyway...

Anecdotally, and that's the way with so much of the history of the hidden-world, the non-crotchless knicker (the 's' on the end being from the plurality of 2 seperate legcoverings) was first brought to prominence when the scandalously French Can-Can dancing became famous outside its original audience of cads and bounders and attempted to downscale to 'only titillating' views of lacework for the tourist market by sewing the two halves together.
So, initially the enclosed version was seen as being more daring than the traditional version, as by wearing it one was suggesting the possibility that the garment might be observed unlike the more chastely hidden style.
Similarly, the creation of bathing suits actually increased the scandalous possibility of engaging in mixed bathing, rather than proper segregated baths where the genders could safely swim unclad.

Funny how things change.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: