The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2017, 01:30:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Steampunk Name?  (Read 1323 times)
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2016, 11:17:42 pm »

Wouldn't calling yourself Sir imply a knighthood? While many military officers will have been from upper classes, I doubt they tended to be nobility.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2016, 11:44:03 pm »

Wouldn't calling yourself Sir imply a knighthood? While many military officers will have been from upper classes, I doubt they tended to be nobility.
They did, indeed. I don't know when the practice was ended, but certainly in the Georgian/Regency period officers' commissions were mostly purchased, and few outside the nobility and gentry could afford a commission and the attendant financial obligations

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2016, 06:31:46 pm »

The Crewe Convivial begins in a week or so now, and i still haven't come up with a name yet! lol...i do like the name Lt Daniel Keene though but i just want to know can military ranks be used within the "gentry/nobility" as i do recall on Fawlty towers that their was a character named The Major and he was like a gentleman type of character so would i be able to go by the name of Sir Lt Daniel Keene as a character name as im sure that ex-servicemen or even off-duty military officers do have gentleman type clothing.

I think that to be technically correct you would be Lt Sir Daniel Keene, not the other way round.  For some reason the surname Keene makes me wonder if your character has Irish ancestry.  Of course there were a lot of Irish in various regiments and I can picture an Irish officer, retired and living on half pay, increasing his income by living on his wits, staying barely the right side of the law - a bit of an adventurer perhaps.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
xX_Lee1987_Xx
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Connoisseur Of Tea's

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2016, 01:36:48 am »

Well the steampunk convivial isn't that far away and i'd rather have a name before it begins lol so i don't feel out of place, i do know that part of my ancestry/relatives i do have a picture somewhere in the house of one of my families relatives in a Boer war (Redcoat) outfit that they wore during the victorian period and he made it to like corporal or so i think, anyhow!.

I do still want to be the gentleman type, its just finding a name that sticks!.

“History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.” - Winston Churchill Quotation
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2016, 04:25:57 pm »

Have you tried Mme. Nephele's Steampunk name generator?  Just scramble your name  (preferably more letters than just "Lee")  and she will generate various names from the permutations thereof...

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,38164.0.html

Thanks for the recognition, Wilhelm!  Much appreciated!  Just want to mention that it's not a generator.  I make up all those crazy Steampunk names myself.  I kind of view anagramming as an art form.  

Cheers!   Smiley

@xX_Lee1987_Xx:  I can probably anagram you a tea-themed name, if you like.  I've never done a tea theme before, so it might be exciting to give it a try!

It is definitely an art form as you perform it.  I still use the Chancella of your derivation.
xX_Lee1987_Xx
Deck Hand

Connoisseur Of Tea's

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2016, 10:04:17 pm »

I suppose for now i should go by the name Sir Lt Daniel Keene until i can think of a proper steampunk persona name that will stick indefinately!. im also going to attend the steampunk convivial in my hometown of crewe this weekend aswell if anyone else is attending from on here!.
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2016, 04:48:56 am »

I suppose for now i should go by the name Sir Lt Daniel Keene...
As Ms. Courcelle observes, I believe it should be Lt Sir Daniel Keene.
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2016, 10:05:18 am »

I suppose for now i should go by the name Sir Lt Daniel Keene...
As Ms. Courcelle observes, I believe it should be Lt Sir Daniel Keene.

Indeed it should.  And I might diffidently suggest a knight of the realm is possibly unlikely to be a humble lieutenant.  At least a captain or major, surely.  Don't undervalue yourself, sir!

Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?
xX_Lee1987_Xx
Deck Hand

Connoisseur Of Tea's

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2016, 04:25:39 pm »

Well im going on from what Nephele came up with, but i suppose i could choose another anagram of what she came up with and then put a more fitting rank/status before my name perhaps?.
Nephele
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

MISTRESS OF NAMES

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2016, 06:10:44 am »

@xX_Lee1987_Xx

I see that others here have already answered your question about the form of address for an individual possessing both military and noble titles, but I thought I'd provide a source:

Military Officer. – The military rank is always prefixed to any other title which the individual may possess, thus, "Major-General Sir Henry---, K.C.B." "Colonel the Earl of Longford," &c.

quoted from Dod's Peerage, Baronetage and Knightage of Great Britain and Ireland (published 1904), page 1140.

Cheers!

« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 06:12:25 am by Nephele » Logged
xX_Lee1987_Xx
Deck Hand

Connoisseur Of Tea's

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2016, 08:42:50 pm »

I think i will go with perhaps this name if you think it sounds very "dapper" so heres the name - "Sir Earl Greymore Brewer"

I added the "earl grey" name so it still sounds tea related and then added "more" and then Brewer on the end, if you think i could think of something better please give me suggestions! i also went to my first steampunk convivial and found it absolutely splendidly bloomin marvelous! even got to dance with a few ladies too!.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2016, 09:04:16 pm »

I would go with Greymoor instead of Greymore.
xX_Lee1987_Xx
Deck Hand

Connoisseur Of Tea's

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2016, 02:35:08 am »

Well i do have a very LONG list of names i put together all with different last names! so just going to paste them below!.

Brewer Names
Sir Arthur Brewer ,Sir Tobias Brewer, Sir Thaddeus Brewer, Sir Thomas Brewer, Sir Edward Brewer, Sir Barnaby Brewer,Sir Cornelius Brewer,Sir Vincent Brewer,Sir Alastair Brewer

Riverty Names
Sir Arthur Riverty, Sir Tobias Riverty, Sir Thaddeus Riverty, Sir Thomas Riverty, Sir Edward Riverty, Sir Barnaby Riverty, Sir Cornelius Riverty, Sir Vincent Riverty, Sir Alastair Riverty

Kentsington/Kensington Names
Sir Arthur Kentsington / Kensington, Sir Tobias Kentsington / Kensington, Sir Thaddeus Kentsington / Kensington, Sir Thomas Kentsington / Kensington, Sir Edward Kentsington / Kensington, Sir Barnaby Kentsington / Kensington, Sir Cornelius Kentsington / Kensington, Sir Vincent Kentsington / Kensington, Sir Alastair Kentsington / Kensington

Ponsonby Names
Sir Arthur Ponsonby, Sir Tobias Ponsonby, Sir Thaddeus Ponsonby, Sir Thomas Ponsonby, Sir Edward Ponsonby, Sir Barnaby Ponsonby, Sir Cornelius Ponsonby, Sir Vincent Ponsonby, Sir Alastair Ponsonby

Cunningham Names
Sir Arthur Cunningham, Sir Tobias Cunningham, Sir Thaddeus Cunningham, Sir Thomas Cunningham, Sir Edward Cunningham, Sir Barnaby Cunningham, Sir Cornelius Cunningham, Sir Vincent Cunningham, Sir Alastair Cunningham

Kirkland Names
Sir Arthur Kirkland, Sir Tobias Kirkland, Sir Thaddeus Kirkland, Sir Thomas Kirkland, Sir Edward Kirkland, Sir Barnaby Kirkland, Sir Cornelius Kirkland, Sir Vincent Kirkland, Sir Alastair Kirkland

Kingsley Names
Sir Arthur Kingsley, Sir Tobias Kingsley, Sir Thaddeus Kingsley, Sir Thomas Kingsley, Sir Edward Kingsley, Sir Barnaby Kingsley, Sir Cornelius Kingsley, Sir Vincent Kingsley, Sir Alastair Kingsley

Buckingham Names
Sir Arthur Buckingham, Sir Tobias Buckingham, Sir Thaddeus Buckingham, Sir Thomas Buckingham, Sir Edward Buckingham, Sir Barnaby Buckingham, Sir Cornelius Buckingham, Sir Vincent Buckingham, Sir Alastair Buckingham

Cromwell Names
Sir Arthur Cromwell, Sir Tobias Cromwell, Sir Thaddeus Cromwell, Sir Thomas Cromwell, Sir Edward Cromwell, Sir Barnaby Cromwell, Sir Cornelius Cromwell, Sir Vincent Cromwell, Sir Alastair Cromwell

Valentine Names
Sir Arthur Valentine, Sir Tobias Valentine, Sir Thaddeus Valentine, Sir Thomas Valentine, Sir Edward Valentine, Sir Barnaby Valentine, Sir Cornelius Valentine, Sir Vincent Valentine, Sir Alastair Valentine

Darrington Names
Sir Arthur Darrington, Sir Tobias Darrington, Sir Thaddeus Darrington, Sir Thomas Darrington, Sir Edward Darrington, , Sir Barnaby DarringtonSir Cornelius Darrington, Sir Vincent Darrington, Sir Alastair Darrington

Lever Names
Sir Arthur Lever, Sir Tobias Lever, Sir Thaddeus Lever, Sir Thomas Lever, Sir Edward Lever, Sir Barnaby Lever, Sir Cornelius Lever, Sir Vincent Lever, Sir Alastair Lever

Steel Names
Sir Arthur Steel, Sir Tobias Steel, Sir Thaddeus Steel, Sir Thomas Steel, Sir Edward Steel, Sir Barnaby Steel, Sir Cornelius Steel, Sir Vincent Steel, Sir Alastair Steel

Twinning Names
Sir Arthur Twinning, Sir Tobias Twinning, Sir Thaddeus Twinning, Sir Thomas Twinning, Sir Edward Twinning, Sir Barnaby Twinning, Sir Cornelius Twinning, Sir Vincent Twinning, Sir Alastair Twinning

Enfield Names
Sir Arthur Enfield, Sir Tobias Enfield, Sir Thaddeus Enfield, Sir Thomas Enfield, Sir Edward Enfield, Sir Barnaby Enfield, Sir Cornelius Enfield, Sir Vincent Enfield, Sir Alastair Enfield

Steam Names
Sir Arthur Steam, Sir Tobias Steam, Sir Thaddeus Steam, Sir Thomas Steam, Sir Edward Steam, Sir Barnaby Steam, Sir Cornelius Steam, Sir Vincent Steam, Sir Alastair Steam
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2016, 03:33:11 am »

I repeat my suggestion of Algernon Twinning Brewer, which could be shortened to A. Twinning Brewer or A. T. Brewer.
xX_Lee1987_Xx
Deck Hand

Connoisseur Of Tea's

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2016, 09:04:45 pm »

Not really fond of that name...the ones i listed at least have a more "gentlemanly" type theme in them...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: