The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 14, 2017, 03:24:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Steampunk Name?  (Read 1431 times)
xX_Lee1987_Xx
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Connoisseur Of Tea's

« on: October 26, 2016, 05:44:52 pm »

Tis me Lee1987 again!

I know theirs already a topic on persona names, but i want to avoid double-posting as i'm sure its against forum rules and such, but i would like to somewhat explain or at least try to!, what kind of person i am and perhaps at the end of it come up with a name that is fitting to my character as a whole...

Now!, i've ordered all my clothing for my persona, having a brocade styled tail-coat in black and a normal white shirt with a maroonish red cravat to go with a white victorian shirt, along with a waterloo pocket watch and a walking-stick/cane from (india) i do intend to either get a tophat at the upcoming event im intending to go too or find one before hand!, now...when i was speaking to my mum about what kind of person i am, she did say that i was quite "Daring" when it comes to things, hence me taking up steampunk, as it intrigues me and i have a fascination for all things historical and victorian and also anything to do with inventions and such, but also my fascination and love for Tea Flavours, i do like the Tea Flavour Earl Grey alot amongst the others being Darjeeling,Assam,Pekoe, Cylon, Lady Grey & Earl Grey all from the tea brand Twinnings.

So do i go for a name that ends with the name Twinning as to reflect a tea name? or cos of my daring personality (also gentlemanly personality) go for a name with the word darrington of some sort, i am really struggling to find my persona's name and would like it if i had some help-suggestions! any help would be appreciated!.

“History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.” - Winston Churchill Quotation
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 07:43:21 pm »

Algernon Twinning Brewer.

I can't explain why, but "Darrington" doesn't appeal to me for some reason.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 08:10:30 pm »

Tis me Lee1987 again!

I know theirs already a topic on persona names, but i want to avoid double-posting as i'm sure its against forum rules and such, but i would like to somewhat explain or at least try to!, what kind of person i am and perhaps at the end of it come up with a name that is fitting to my character as a whole...

Now!, i've ordered all my clothing for my persona, having a brocade styled tail-coat in black and a normal white shirt with a maroonish red cravat to go with a white victorian shirt, along with a waterloo pocket watch and a walking-stick/cane from (india) i do intend to either get a tophat at the upcoming event im intending to go too or find one before hand!, now...when i was speaking to my mum about what kind of person i am, she did say that i was quite "Daring" when it comes to things, hence me taking up steampunk, as it intrigues me and i have a fascination for all things historical and victorian and also anything to do with inventions and such, but also my fascination and love for Tea Flavours, i do like the Tea Flavour Earl Grey alot amongst the others being Darjeeling,Assam,Pekoe, Cylon, Lady Grey & Earl Grey all from the tea brand Twinnings.

So do i go for a name that ends with the name Twinning as to reflect a tea name? or cos of my daring personality (also gentlemanly personality) go for a name with the word darrington of some sort, i am really struggling to find my persona's name and would like it if i had some help-suggestions! any help would be appreciated!.

Have you tried Mme. Nephele's Steampunk name generator?  Just scramble your name  (preferably more letters than just "Lee")  and she will generate various names from the permutations thereof...

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,38164.0.html

Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 08:26:10 pm »

A few other tricks to consider, along with Wilhelm's suggestion:

think of words you want associated with your character, like Tea.  Then google up a word translator, and see what comes up in german, french, or something else.

This will give you a secret nod to your character and result in something suitably exotic.

Also look for snootier variations on your name.

My real name is Ken, so I went with Kensington, which being a mouthful, sounds like I went to an Ivy League school.  I had backed into that name by way of the products for locking down PCs, the Kensington Lock.

Toss an E on the end, and it's suitably snobbish and my own inside joke.

So, playing with your presumed name of Lee (based on your user name here is all), and translating Tea and Master in Albanian, which looked different:
Leontine Cajmjester

With a funny double-dot over the "e" on the last name.

All I did was google "english to german", which before I could press GO, was already showing me a handy translator box. I typed in "tea" and fiddled with the destination language until I got something that wasn't "tea" or "te" as it is apparently a really shared word.

You could play around with things.  Caj Mjester or Caj Meister, which might be a bit too obvious on the meaning.

Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 08:49:28 pm »

Earl Brownjoy of Twinning County?

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
xX_Lee1987_Xx
Deck Hand

Connoisseur Of Tea's

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 10:45:29 pm »

Well surely using twinning's is copyright in some way since their is a tea company by that name, well my full name is Lee Daniel Kent and although you said you added a snobbish variation of your name, im not sure how Kentsington sounds seems rather...un-original in a way and i do want to have the title of an Earl or some snobberish kind of character but also someone who is noble not just in attire but personality too, which i consider myself in rl to be, in many ways i wish my character/name to be influenced by my actual personality, as i do like to open doors for ladies and such.
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 02:18:15 am »

Well surely using twinning's is copyright in some way since their is a tea company by that name, well my full name is Lee Daniel Kent and although you said you added a snobbish variation of your name, im not sure how Kentsington sounds seems rather...un-original in a way and i do want to have the title of an Earl or some snobberish kind of character but also someone who is noble not just in attire but personality too, which i consider myself in rl to be, in many ways i wish my character/name to be influenced by my actual personality, as i do like to open doors for ladies and such.

Well, I'm stuck with it now.  From the american side of the pond, long multi-syllable names tend to get a kid beat up or he's the kid who had all the star wars toys.  American pretentiousness was built on long names or numerals after it. Smiley

Then the middle class takes the names, uses those, and eventually Madison changes from being a rich girl's name to a stripper name.

Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 06:48:31 pm »

preferably more letters than just "Lee"

Eel Darrington  - obviously a slippery character ....

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 01:50:53 am »

Well surely using twinning's is copyright in some way since their is a tea company by that name

That would only apply if you were to try to sell tea under the name Twinning. As I understand it a name used as a personal  name cannot be copyrighted.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 03:21:10 am »

Indeed. Just because there is a canned produce and condiment company named Heinz, and a chocolate company named Hershey's doesn't mean that  someone can't adopt the surname Heinz or Hershey.
xX_Lee1987_Xx
Deck Hand

Connoisseur Of Tea's

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 08:52:57 pm »

I know some people come up with names fairly easily or put some thought into, but i struggle because theirs so many names i could choose...i do have a list somewhere of snobby names but im not quite sure what to call myself, i've always seen myself in RL as a gentleman and speak in a very precise manner and tone, alot of people say i talk posh cos of my cheshire accent, but also probably because i come off as abit snobberish to some people as i always like to be right or at least think i'm right most of the time, so would i come under the title of an Earl or any other kind title?.

I also like to open doors for people or at least make sure that they're alright so im not all "Elitist" i do have a caring side too, so perhaps i could name myself something that reflects my personality, but even then, thats hard because its coming up with the name that suits my personality!.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 09:45:09 pm »

Then what about Otis T. Brewer, then you have teamaking and door opening combined.
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 10:32:33 pm »

I think you'll come up with something and it'll be fine.  Mostly because you'll make it yours and make it live.

All the tips I've given are just shorthand stereotypes.  From costuming, to naming.

You could call yourself Bob Ford and make that be steampunk.  However, nobody tends to do that.  It's always longer names with an air of uncommonality.  It's less about being/sounding snobbish (bad word choice on my part), more of eliciting an egality or dignity to the name and thus the person.

xX_Lee1987_Xx
Deck Hand

Connoisseur Of Tea's

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2016, 01:44:45 am »

Well apart from my steampunk persona name, i'm still struggling what to wear with this tail-coat jacket

I've already ordered a white-victorian shirt and already got the maroon cravat and pocket-watch and still waiting for my steampunk trousers which will take till christmas, but do you think i might need a long-waistcoat and boots to go with it or perhaps ankleboots/shoes, some suggestions or links to websites would be helpful i have about £70 so far for anything extra and i get paid again towards next month anyway, any help would be appreciated i also want to know if normal work/suit trousers are suitable for steampunk leg-wear to begin with?.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 08:26:14 am by von Corax » Logged
Colonel Hawthorne
Snr. Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2016, 07:38:06 am »

That is a splendid jacket, sir. Is it Dark Star?  I have one of their coats in purple, of which I am inordinately fond.

I should recommend striped trousers.  Not common or garden pinstripe but something a little bolder. Something we often lose sight of is that the Victorians loved their colour (the first aniline dyes were just coming in) and were quite happy with combinations that would make us cringe in 2016.  Don't let colour and patterns hold you back!

Boots might be rather splendid if you can find some, but as a very flexible way to get relatively ordinary shoes to blend into your steampunk outfit I recommend spats.  They're not difficult to make, and you can potentially have several pairs in colours to match (for example) your selection of cravats.

Colonel Sir Julius Hawthorne
H.M. Air Privateers (Retd.)

http://capitalsteampunknz.org

Whatever did we do before retro-futurism?
xX_Lee1987_Xx
Deck Hand

Connoisseur Of Tea's

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2016, 02:44:30 pm »

Thank you for the compliment Kensington Locke sir!. Also below are the items i have already (minus the walking stick and trousers ofcourse!)

Jacket
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262388516576?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=561183001281&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Cravat
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381654657956?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Shirt
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322283567997?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=511184105358&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Trousers
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231697056479?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=530918409976&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
http://www.kinkyangel.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=&products_id=7666#.WBdHxcc2yUk
Pocket-Watch & Cane / Walking Stick
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141079775628?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302094156287?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Regarding my steampunk name, i'm still finding it hard to come up with a name for myself, i'm not sure i could have a Military title as i've gone for the "gentleman" styled look some help would be appreciated, sorry if i'm being a nuiscance.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 04:06:53 pm by xX_Lee1987_Xx » Logged
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2016, 05:24:42 pm »

Well apart from my steampunk persona name, i'm still struggling what to wear with this tail-coat jacket

I've already ordered a white-victorian shirt and already got the maroon cravat and pocket-watch and still waiting for my steampunk trousers which will take till christmas, but do you think i might need a long-waistcoat and boots to go with it or perhaps ankleboots/shoes, some suggestions or links to websites would be helpful i have about £70 so far for anything extra and i get paid again towards next month anyway, any help would be appreciated i also want to know if normal work/suit trousers are suitable for steampunk leg-wear to begin with?.

That is an exquisite jacket.

I think you could do with "modern" suit pants, though something striped would probably look sharp with it.  I have half a picture of a circus ringmaster with that coat (not what you were aiming for), so perhaps something somber to keep it serious.

My first renfair costume used sweatpants.  Given the final replacement was simply something baggy of a different material, you can go easy on the trousers until you find the right pair. Nobody notices (well some folks might, but given many steampunks are featuring thrift store re-worked items, I don't think there's much judging going on).

Have you settled on a name yet?

xX_Lee1987_Xx
Deck Hand

Connoisseur Of Tea's

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2016, 06:01:04 pm »

I have not come up with or decided on a name yet...I'm still debating if i truly do need to have the last name of Brewer etc...i'm sure i could just go with a normal posh name of some kind but i'm still finding my way around how to name persona and everything but at least my outfit is almost complete, i just have to wait for my shirt/cane/trousers and boots to arrive then i'll be all set for the carnvivial next month in my town, just hope theirs some people on this forums that are "aware/Going to" the event aswell as myself.
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2016, 06:22:16 pm »

Possibly not a goer, but whilst reading this topic the name Tobias Brewster -Tannin shot into the somewhat erratic jumble that is my mind.

Liking the purchases so far........

« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 11:22:00 am by SeVeNeVeS » Logged

frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2016, 08:47:53 pm »

Just thought that I would pop by and admire the tail coat.  Rather yummy.
xX_Lee1987_Xx
Deck Hand

Connoisseur Of Tea's

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2016, 03:05:34 am »

The jacket cost me around 50£ or so i could've gotten it from elvin dream website which sells gothic clothing too but i found ebay my best friend lol...managed to get all my outfit for at least 115£ or so...so i'm just waiting on the trousers and boots and cane and then come the event all i would need to get myself is perhaps a tophat and ruffled shirt etc ^_^

Also my steampunk name i'm definately having "Sir" as a title within the name, that is a definate! and definately a snobby last name aswell, i was thinking perhaps instead of "Brewer" i could use perhaps these ones that i thought of, Brewsworth,Brewington,Brewstea,Brewing.

I'll definately come up with a name for my persona soon, hopefully once i get the rest of my outfit arriving "before" the event begins i can name my character more easily!.
Nephele
Zeppelin Captain

MISTRESS OF NAMES

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2016, 02:59:12 pm »

Have you tried Mme. Nephele's Steampunk name generator?  Just scramble your name  (preferably more letters than just "Lee")  and she will generate various names from the permutations thereof...

Thanks for the recognition, Wilhelm!  Much appreciated!  Just want to mention that it's not a generator.  I make up all those crazy Steampunk names myself.  I kind of view anagramming as an art form.  

Cheers!   Smiley

@xX_Lee1987_Xx:  I can probably anagram you a tea-themed name, if you like.  I've never done a tea theme before, so it might be exciting to give it a try!

« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 03:01:27 pm by Nephele » Logged
Nephele
Zeppelin Captain

MISTRESS OF NAMES

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2016, 04:34:28 pm »

xX_Lee1987_Xx, some tea kettle name anagrams for you:

Deakin Immanuel Kettlesnape
Damian Emanuel Kettlespinke

= I am Lee Daniel Kent, Steampunk

Emanuel Aspden Kettlekin
Amadeus Pennel Kettlekin
Luke Daneman Kettlesnipe
Kemuel Dainn Kettlesnape
Damien Luke Kettlespanne

= Lee Daniel Kent, Steampunk

-- Nephele
xX_Lee1987_Xx
Deck Hand

Connoisseur Of Tea's

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2016, 04:00:17 pm »

The Crewe Convivial begins in a week or so now, and i still haven't come up with a name yet! lol...i do like the name Lt Daniel Keene though but i just want to know can military ranks be used within the "gentry/nobility" as i do recall on Fawlty towers that their was a character named The Major and he was like a gentleman type of character so would i be able to go by the name of Sir Lt Daniel Keene as a character name as im sure that ex-servicemen or even off-duty military officers do have gentleman type clothing.
von Corax
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2016, 09:23:54 pm »

The Crewe Convivial begins in a week or so now, and i still haven't come up with a name yet! lol...i do like the name Lt Daniel Keene though but i just want to know can military ranks be used within the "gentry/nobility" as i do recall on Fawlty towers that their was a character named The Major and he was like a gentleman type of character so would i be able to go by the name of Sir Lt Daniel Keene as a character name as im sure that ex-servicemen or even off-duty military officers do have gentleman type clothing.
The Major was retired, as I recall. The local Laird in Hamish Macbeth was also known as The Major, and Captain Hastings from the Poirot series was plain-clothes ex-military as well.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: