The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 24, 2017, 07:45:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whitby Goth Weekend November 2016  (Read 540 times)
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« on: October 19, 2016, 04:58:35 pm »

Anybody going to this? There are usually quite a few steampunks at the Rifle Club as well as about the town.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 07:32:34 pm »

It was ccccold ..... so very, very cold (even for Whitby in November).  It was incredibly windy too, which was quite distracting for those who were wearing hoops - and even more distracting for those who were watching!

And it was also tremendous fun!
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 08:10:19 pm »

We were watching the weather forecast at the weekend and thinking of you, but I'm glad you still enjoyed the weekend despite the Arctic blast! Here's hoping for a better climate in April - shame they didn't put it on the bank holiday weekend, but never mind.

Yours,
Miranda.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 09:44:50 pm »

I have never done Whitby. Although I can see it's appeal.
I'm not sure the trip would be worth the reward.
I like my social interactions free of melancholy these days.
I'm much more "boink" than I used to be! I think that's a good thing.

Although it would be nice to hack it to a couple of sisters tracks. It has been a very long time.....

I miss the corrosion...

Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 11:55:19 am »

I have never done Whitby. Although I can see it's appeal.
I'm not sure the trip would be worth the reward.
I like my social interactions free of melancholy these days.
I'm much more "boink" than I used to be! I think that's a good thing.

Although it would be nice to hack it to a couple of sisters tracks. It has been a very long time.....

I miss the corrosion...

I wouldn't say there's an air of melancholy - there are too many 'tribes' there for it to be too dominated by the more introspective and dark end of the spectrum. Sure, there are plenty of skulls and funereal motifs around (it's always fun seeing the the most unlikely of vehicles, such as classic minis, that have been treated a hearse makeover), but they are normally presented in a style no more serious than your typical Halloween display. And there are lots and lots of Steampunks to add extra colour to the black, red and purple palate one might associate with the event.

For us it's not just the chance to promenade in our finery (although that is a big part of it  Wink), browse around the Bizarre Bizarre and appreciate the sartorial creations of others. We like the town too (we really appreciate lovely old world winding streets and dramatic sea views) and the history of the place (not just the Stoker connection but the history of the abbey, the courageous actions of the lifeboat service there, the Captain Cook museum, etc.) The wider area too - for example Robin Hood's bay is lovely and has a brilliant chippy... On top of that Whitby has some excellent ghost walks, which the children really appreciate.

Roll on April...

Yours,
Miranda.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 11:58:26 am by Miranda.T » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: