The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2017, 02:58:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Teas and other Tea-Like beverages!  (Read 1514 times)
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2016, 01:02:17 pm »

Camp coffee is rather nice if you just use it undiluted as a sauce on ice-cream .......

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2016, 02:45:12 pm »

My dear old Dad only drinks Camp Coffee and by the bucket load, an acquired taste but one I have gotten used to when visiting.

Used alot in cake baking and sweet confectionery I believe.

Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

09madasafish
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2016, 07:07:05 pm »

My dear old Dad only drinks Camp Coffee and by the bucket load, an acquired taste but one I have gotten used to when visiting.

Used alot in cake baking and sweet confectionery I believe.

Quite so. Especially in coffee cakes and the like (I'm given to understand it has a more robust flavour than actual coffee and so it comes through in the cake more).

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2016, 07:31:03 pm »

Camp Coffee- 2 teaspoons

3 sugars

Sterilised (UHT) milk

Per mug,

Thats what the old fella drinks, I think it is the chicory content that makes the taste unique.

I buy it in Asda for him, if you are brave enough to give it a try and fancy something different. I must admit I prefer good old Nescafe original but a change now and then.... no harm.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 07:49:58 pm by SeVeNeVeS » Logged
WinterHaven
Snr. Officer
Latvia Latvia

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2016, 09:51:35 am »

The only other 'tea-like' beverages I drink are the occasional cup of Camp coffee (the closest I reckon I'll ever get to actually drinking "The p*ss of Lucifer") or tea wine (which is so far the best usage I've found for 'herbal teas').

I am curious about tea wine - is this something you make?
I can't drink tea myself (coffee addict I'm afraid) but I have friends who I suspect would love it.

For me, the best tea is always a handful of mint from my mint triffid, a little ginger, and some honey.
I once worked somewhere where they supplied a big box of mixed fruit teas which contained 'White tea and peach' which was delicious, but I've never found it anywhere else.

'If you were going to make a ghost-trap, how would you set about it? -particularly if you had not even a small ghost to practice on.' -Wyndham
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2016, 02:34:11 pm »

I love Earl Grey, and especially Lady Grey teas, but I am exceptionally sensitive to caffeine and getting decaff earl grey is more difficult, so it's become something of a rare treat. I can't even find decaff Lady Grey.

In summer I drink mostly mint tea, with just a little honey. While on holiday in Morocco I loved the real fresh mint tea and I do make my own when it's in season, but I couldn't have that amount of honey on a daily basis! My favourite mint tea in bag form at the moment is Pukka's 3 mint tea, because the spearmint really lifts the flavour.

In the winter I drink mostly Lemon and Ginger tea, once again with honey. At home I use real grated ginger (always have some in the freezer) and lemon juice, but at work I settle for teabags - Twinnings is pretty good but I'll be looking around for other brands to test.

I don't like most other fruit and herbal teas, but I am eagerly awaiting the reopening of Char Wallah in Birmingham, their loose leaf blends actually taste of the herbs and fruits in question! I do have some of their 'Grandma's Garden' tea left to tide me over luckily!

cemeteryresearcher.com

'a lighthearted academic blog about funerary practice' - Updates Sundays*

*gremlins permitting
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2016, 02:55:37 pm »

The only other 'tea-like' beverages I drink are the occasional cup of Camp coffee (the closest I reckon I'll ever get to actually drinking "The p*ss of Lucifer") or tea wine (which is so far the best usage I've found for 'herbal teas').

I am curious about tea wine - is this something you make?
I can't drink tea myself (coffee addict I'm afraid) but I have friends who I suspect would love it.

It is. I'm a keen homebrewer and tea wine is a nice standby for whenever I fancy doing some brewing since I almost always have the ingredients in stock. I've a feeling I might have shared the recipe in the brewer's guild thread.
steiconi
Gunner
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2016, 06:15:10 pm »

https://www.google.com/search?q=decaff+Lady+Grey&oq=decaff+Lady+Grey&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 is a google search for decaf Lady Grey; looks like Twinings makes a version, and it's available at Walmart, Amazon, and more.

I love Earl Grey, and especially Lady Grey teas, but I am exceptionally sensitive to caffeine and getting decaff earl grey is more difficult, so it's become something of a rare treat. I can't even find decaff Lady Grey.
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2016, 09:05:52 pm »

Ooh this must have appeared since I last looked - because I'm sure Twinnings only had decaff in their ordinary Earl Grey (that's the one I usually buy in fact). I'll have to visit a big supermarket and see if I can find it locally.

Thank you steiconi!

Edit: it doesn't appear to be available in the UK - I would have to import it from the states.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 09:08:16 pm by Flightless Phoenix » Logged
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

the dragon's called Salmacis

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2016, 12:44:20 pm »

I found marshmallow flavoured tea. What is this.

"Crazy pseudo-scot living in a fantasy world"
steiconi
Gunner

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2016, 05:35:39 pm »

Do you suppose it tastes like the "marsh mallow" plant?  Or like the cloying, sticky sweet confection?
I'm guessing the latter.

steiconi
Gunner

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2016, 06:54:01 pm »

Every December, I host a Ladies Holiday Tea (yes, you're all invited!  It's December 4th, in Hawaii.)  Fancy tea cups, fussy finger foods, dressy guests.

As a 'Merican, I offer a selection of tea sachets in foil envelopes so each lady (and I use the term ironically) can choose her own.

But quite frankly, what gets imbibed are the margaritas.  I guess calling the event a "Tea" is a bit ironic as well.

Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2016, 12:50:20 pm »

Do you suppose it tastes like the "marsh mallow" plant?  Or like the cloying, sticky sweet confection?
I'm guessing the latter.

The latter, indeed. It's a really odd flavour for tea.
montysaurus
Deck Hand
United States United States

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2016, 12:56:31 am »

From what I could find, Marsh Mallow tea is the plant. Used as a digestive. Some say it taste like old socks. Not the dreamy confection on the top of Hot Cocoa.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2016, 06:18:08 am »

I prefer black tea; specifically Chai.

(*Ponders the apparent fact that somebody, somewhere, at some time in the past, once tasted a pair of old, dirty socks...)

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2016, 08:18:32 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen.
What I really like is:
nettle tea.

And yes, when my Russian colleagues invite me to  a glass of their tea (they bring it to work in Thermoses) I'll always always accept it.
I don't know why it it tastes so good- when I brew it up at home, using the same Russian tea, it never tastes as good.

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2016, 11:42:19 am »

Prof. Cecily, it's the thermos!!
ForestB
Zeppelin Admiral

Lady of the copper frogs

« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2016, 05:39:13 am »

If you ever get the chance, try cocoa tea- it's made from the husks of the cocoa bean and is delicious. It is not hot chocolate, though, but something different. It has a different kind of caffeine buzz from tea or coffee.

Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com
steiconi
Gunner

« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2016, 11:13:49 pm »

There is also a drink made from "coffee cherries," the pulp from the outside of coffee beans.
And cacao beans (source of chocolate) grow surrounded by a pulp inside a pod.  The pulp is sometimes made into a fresh or fermented drink.
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2016, 12:09:41 am »

(or the vodka!)

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2016, 05:15:04 am »

From what I could find, Marsh Mallow tea is the plant. Used as a digestive. Some say it taste like old socks. Not the dreamy confection on the top of Hot Cocoa.
And they used to make marshmallows from the sap. 
Hmmm old sock flavoured candy.  Can't say I'm going to try it.
Caledonian
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2016, 09:22:38 am »

And they used to make marshmallows from the sap. 
Hmmm old sock flavoured candy.  Can't say I'm going to try it.

That sounds gross.
No, the one i found actually is supposed to taste like the candy. Seems they sell it as a special children's tea...
morozow
Snr. Officer
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2016, 09:23:13 am »

(or the vodka!)

We don't drink tea with vodka. Tea with cognac is much more common.

And anyway, the rumors about vodka in Russia is greatly exaggerated.

I know of only one specific drink where you mix tea with vodka.

The milk of rabid cows / student Bellis, is a mixture of strong tea (or coffee), condensed milk and vodka.

Roleplayers (fans of role-playing games live action) when they are running around with duralumin swords in the dark woods, cook it so. .

Bank of condensed milk
a bottle of vodka
tea/coffee (small pack/Bank)
water to taste

Boil on the fire in the pot until the tea brew. Drink a hot drink. Drink directly from the pot, passing it around the circle.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Thylacinus
Gunner

« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2016, 08:01:59 pm »

I'm primarily a coffee drinker, which may be why I prefer stronger teas -- Irish breakfast and black tea with fruit flavors such as blackcurrant. Constant Comment is a black tea flavored with orange rind and undisclosed spices. I've just gotten it out to see if it will help me get through the holidays without tucking into all of the spiced sugary treats coming my way.

I also drink Celestial Seasonings Tension Tamer tea, mostly for the medicinal effect although it has a pleasant lemon and herbal flavor.

Earl Grey tastes like dish soap to me -- I think it's the bergamot.
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2016, 07:35:26 am »

I went ahead and ordered myself a preasent in the form of a box of yaupon dark roast. Ive never had it and honestly I never have done 'indavidual cup' tea.

So this is kindof new to me and I'm writing this as I wait on it to finish making.

I will say off the bat I have to say the people of Cat Springs were very friendly and pleasant when answering questions. They even included a note written on the inventory printout. Nice people, makes me want to do business with them again if their tea agrees with me.

Unsweetened. After a ten minute wait to let it set in my mug (size unknown but looks to be similar to a 'small' mason jar.)

Unsweetened: Not a lot of bitterness going on, definately a 'not luzianne' taste but overal pretty nice.
Two 'generous' spoons of sugar: Could almost go with another spoon but overall a nice tea.
Curious on their lighter roast but I wanted to go with a dark roast because I typically make by the gallon and figured maximize flavor but I dunno.

Different, but a good different. Will edit again After I've had time to process and see if the bag can take being reused on another serving.

Three spoons of sugar seems to be where i sit with this on a 'per cup' basis. Unsure how that will translate to a 'per gallon' basis. Maybe i"m just too addicted to sugar. However unlike unsweetened luzianne I can actually drink this unsweetened.

Turns out I let it steep for FAR too long and while passable as is, it was a lot nicer with a three minute steep.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 07:46:21 pm by Lazaras » Logged

Cheapie Theatre
Want something to read? Got ten minutes to kill? Here you go!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: