The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 07:33:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boilerpunks Unite  (Read 693 times)
Mechanic Williams
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

I need a bigger hammer. BIGGER! That's it...

« on: October 17, 2016, 09:45:01 am »

While I hate labels (and goddammit if there isn't enough of them in this community...), there is one I heard of recently from a friend of mine that I do find rather fascinating. If we see Steampunk as people reaping the benefits of the technology of the time, boilerpunk then becomes the setting for the lower working classes of the steampunk universe who produce the technology, in literally the same sense as steam requiring a boiler in order to produce all of its wonderful power in an engine. So in a boilerpunk setting we might hear about a gang of rivetters smashing rivets into the hull of an airship, street urchins robbing the elderly wealthy, and the exploitation of labour based on race/gender in a vast factory. While boilerpunk and steampunk are effectively the same genres from different perspectives, is there anyone else who feels they identify more as the former, or is this all nonsensical dribbling from a man who has had more tea than sleep for the last week?

Cheers, MW.

If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical problem.
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 01:03:49 pm »

In that case I would probably like to be Mudpunk. The bottom of the ladder. Reminds me of the Monty Python sketch in the Holy Grail......

Tis' bona to vada your dolly old eke.
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 09:12:09 am »

I think your interest in further sub-dividing the Steampunk genre is a natural expression of your individuality. Steampunk as a form of identity is in itself an expression of a series of choices and preferences we have made, so it is to be expected that within that broad framework there will be further variety. For some it is based firmly on timescale - though even there we will probably each have our own personal modifications on the originally promoted 'Victorian' era (1837 - 1901). It is now often referred to on these pages as 'Vicwardian' - 1837 - 1910, this, in order to accommodate the significant societal changes and technological discoveries up to the beginning of the Great War.

So, even if you are the only one who strongly resonates with Boilerpunk, don't feel isolated as pretty much all stamps and types are welcome under Steampunk. I have my own individual preference as Akroyd-Stuart Punk! Herbert Akroyd Stuart invented the compression ignition engine and beat Rudolf Diesel by 3 years, the latter's contribution being the idea that high compression ratios gives higher efficiency. So the engine we today call diesel is in fact a result of both inventor's work. All the static 'diesel', hot bulb and oil engines to be seen at historic fairs and rallies are more attributable to Akroyd-Stuart than Diesel and they are the true offspring of steam engines. Akroyd-Stuart Punk allows me to enjoy the benefits of internal combustion and stretches the timeframe right up to the 'roaring' twenties and Art Deco. It also forms a more logical boundary for me to Dieselpunk which very much majors on mid 1930's and later in terms of fashion and design.

So, to each their own, all within the fabulous and fantastical world of Steampunk!

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 08:53:28 pm »

In that case I would probably like to be Mudpunk. The bottom of the ladder. Reminds me of the Monty Python sketch in the Holy Grail......

You see that? You see him oppressing me? Help, help! I'm being oppressed!

I think it should be obvious by my visage to the left (and/or anyone who recognises me and my outfit from this year's asylum) what my view on this subject is.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Wormster
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 10:50:24 pm »

Considering that I spend my working day, wrangling spanners and dealing with "C.A.D. monkeys" puts me firmly in the "boiler punk" movement!

We are the BEC,
And this we must confess,
Whatever is worth doing,
We'll do it to excess!
morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 11:50:51 am »

The revolutionary situation has ripened?

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 04:42:31 pm »

Just as long as there are enough boilerpunks to keep the cogs turning I don't mind what you call yourselves!

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 02:52:42 pm »

Personally, your definition of boilerpunk look very much like my vision of steampunk.

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: