The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 21, 2017, 01:00:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Planning a Project,Could use Input  (Read 935 times)
Cmdr. Storm
Officer
United States United States

« on: October 16, 2016, 09:11:15 am »

Hey There Folks, as You know, I've Been Planning to make a Steampunk Military style Backpack, but i Recently got Inspired to Try Something and Could Use Some Input:What kind of Fabric/Material would Work for Making a Handlebar Bag for a Bike? FYI,i use a Bike that's a Cross between a Mountain Bike & a Beach Cruiser. I'm Considering making a Handlebar Bag to help with Carrying Stuff While i Ride. Can Anyone Recommend a Good type of Fabric,Etc. that i Can Use? Thanks for Looking.
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 10:28:20 am »

I would start off thinking leather or very heavy canvas...

HP

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 05:34:13 pm »

I would start off thinking leather or very heavy canvas...

HP

This or a sturdy nylon. Check out what the army surplus stores have and if you could modify something to suit purpose
Wilhelm Smydle
Snr. Officer

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 03:18:30 pm »

Canvas drop cloth, tent canvas, or upholstry fabric should work.
The heavier sunforger canvas is difficult to sew.
The upholstry fabric may need a thinner lining material.
steiconi
Gunner
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 07:45:35 pm »

I'd go for something waterproof as well.
Cmdr. Storm
Officer

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 07:04:59 am »

Quick Update:i Just Purchased a Nylon Tarp that I'm Planning to Use for my Handlebar Bike Bag! Should I Leave it the Color it Came or Should i Paint it? What Say You?
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 05:28:47 pm »

I I might interject, I'd suggest some kind of inner frame to hold shape and/or maintain some minimal rigidity.

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 07:29:02 pm »

Quick Update:i Just Purchased a Nylon Tarp that I'm Planning to Use for my Handlebar Bike Bag! Should I Leave it the Color it Came or Should i Paint it? What Say You?

What colour is it now?

HP
Cmdr. Storm
Officer

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 12:55:58 am »

it's a Bright Blue Color. Wasn't Sure about Keeping it that Color or Painting it with some Spray Paint.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 01:30:22 am »

it's a Bright Blue Color. Wasn't Sure about Keeping it that Color or Painting it with some Spray Paint.

But isn't that material very difficult to paint?

PS I know that tarp also comes in black, white and yellow. My only concern would be the paint flaking off at the creases and anytime the fabric flexes...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 01:33:02 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 11:28:04 pm »

It will ALL flake off sooner or later with a platic tarp.

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Synistor 303
Gunner
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2017, 08:31:19 am »

If you painted it using 'artists acrylics' it would last a bit longer - the paint is just a little more flexible than spray paint or acrylic house paint.
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2017, 11:37:54 am »

I wouldn't paint it. As mentioned earlier, the fabric is nearly impossible to paint and it's probably going to flake.
If you do want to use the handlebar bike bag, I would suggest you use something in the same colour on the bike, so it looks like the bag is ment to be blue. For instance, paint the cranks or fender that shade of blue. It would cetrainly change the apperal of the overall bike though.
Permanent markers might work. Perhaps a bright yellow one on the blue bag might turn it into green. But again, it will probably wear off eventually.

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 02:41:02 am »

I would suggest searching medical and bread bags for canvas retro cloth carry bags. two could be combined to make a sort of saddlebag to sling over the bike frame or the handlebars somehow. if the bike has fairly stout fenders, you can add bungee cords with hooks to the bag bottoms to hook the bike frame and keep the bags in place and out of the spokes. I've made similar out of some cheap Chinese bags that we added a thin plywood backing to, to protect the bags and keep it out of the wheels on a moped. the plywood was added to the canvas by drilling holes through the wood and punching thru the bag and using long rivets, a fender washer was added to the inside of the bag on the rivet to hold down the cloth. the rivets were placed from the outside-in to keep them fairly flush. the wood we painted a mute color to go with the weird Chinese striped camo canvas. best luck we had was pre drilling the four holes in the plywood and then using an awl to push thru the cloth to rivet one corner at a time, then awling the diagonal corner and riveting it, taking out any slack in the canvas before awling through the canvas. the fender washers have to fit the rivets good or have another smaller washer to hold down the bigger washer or the rivet wont lock it all together correctly.

actually for the handlebars a bag on the front and two smaller ammo carrier bags/pouches on the back, to sit to either side of the gooseneck would work. just add Velcro to the back of the pouches and the bag so they stick together when draped over the handlebars.
Harvey Midnight
Gunner

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 02:22:00 pm »

Hmm... just some "musings"--

Have you considered going the way of something more like the bikes in the film "E.T." from the 80's? Those kids had attached large plastic baskets like 'shipping baskets' of some kind, to their handlebars-- Maybe you could do something along those lines, only with a Victorian bend.

Rather than having to paint fabric you'd be painting wood... or plastic, to look like wood... which could easily free you up to make it any color; a bit o' découpage and a printer would allow you to apply period labels. You could have some kind of net, or straps over the top, or even a lid--- then just use the crate to carry a more modern bag inside it, for more portability.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: