The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 09:43:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk people....  (Read 806 times)
Amelia Albergee
Swab

United States United States

« on: October 15, 2016, 09:37:26 pm »

First of all, hello everyone, and hopefully I am in the right forum.
Second.. I hope I don't offend anyone with the following questions.

I have a writing assignment to do a Steampunk themed story.  Unfortunately I am quite new to this genre, although I am familiar with the Victorian era.  I have to have, in addition to common human beings, vampires and a zombies in the story. The question I have, what most Steampunk Vampires and Zombies eat? Does it follow a stereotype like blood and brains? Or it is whatever the writes wants them to be? They can eat "normal food" but are required to drink blood or eat brains once in a while? Do Steampunk Vampires "melt" in the sunlight? Do Zombies rot? Are there zombies who think? Or are they mindless?

Additionally, what are other types of beings common in Steampunk narratives?

I am allowed to ask and check on forums, but not allowed to read other people's books. (Joy joy!  Angry )

Any suggestions and links you can provide, will be really appreciated.

Thank you! Smiley

Amelia looked at the man at her side; after being awaken in the middle of the night at gun point, kidnapped, tied down uncomfortably in the back of his vehicle and dragged in the middle of an hellish hole that would soon become a  crime scene, she realized that as first dates went this was certainly not the worse she'd ever had.
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 12:44:32 am »

Zombies and vampires are not required elements of steampunk stories.

But since your assignment requires them...

Modern conventions for vampires in fiction go back to Bram Stoker's novel "Dracula", published in 1897. More was added to the mythos by subsequent writers and filmmakers, but if you need vampires that fit a steam era setting, the familiar vampire depictions of popular film and fiction are fine.

Zombie mythos as we know it really started in cinema, and the walking corpse archetype seems to have arrived in 1968 in the film "Night of the Living Dead".

But I would recommend a viewing of the 1932 film "White Zombie". This film stars Bela Lugosi, best known for playing Dracula in the classic film. Lugosi plays a Haitian plantation owner who is adept at Voodoo, and who uses his occult knowledge to transform his enemies into mindless zombies who labor on the plantation. If you plug Lugosi's Count Dracula into to place of Lugosi's Voodoo plantation owner, you have the perfect model for your vampires and zombies story. Add the trappings of steampunk and you've met the requirements of your assignment.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 11:44:20 am »

The ideas of zombies eating brains specifically, seems to also just date back to the 1980s. Before that it was just flesh.
Of course the original zombies were mentally damaged farm workers, not much fun in a steampunk setting.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 12:25:24 pm »

I've always thought the modern zombie idea derives from your average twonk on a Friday night getting drunk, alcohol infused testosterone spike causing a lust for blood and unnecessary violence, flesh eating just a bonus for second rate movies and an excuse for gore.

I would stick to the voodoo version.

Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 01:18:15 pm »

There are some theories around the idea of a chemically induced zombie-like state, for example as discussed here - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3233729/The-witch-doctor-proved-zombies-REAL-spine-tingling-story-Haitian-Voodoo-leader-revealed-secrets-zombie-powder-given-West-nightmares-since.html. As to vampires, it's a shame you've been barred from reading others' books as, of course, Dracula gives an excellent account of the superstitions around vampires held during the 19th century, such as the idea that sunlight does not destroy them, it merely reduces their powers. However, there are plenty of websites which give a summary of these, such as http://dracula.cc/vampires/.

Yours,
Miranda.

P.S. good luck with the assignment - maybe you could post a link to it once it's finished?  Smiley
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 01:22:00 pm by Miranda.T » Logged
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 02:02:11 pm »

My question would be, in a world populated by humans, vampires and zombies, who rules the roost?  If vampires and zombies are top of the social strata, the obvious answer would be that they eat.... well, us....

If, on the other hand, it is the humans at the top of the pyramid, maybe they have the vampires and zombies on a tight leash.  Maybe the only reason the vampires and zombies are allowed to exist is to do work or some other function deemed beneath the dignity of the humans.  Maybe then they are treated as beasts of burden and live off of artificial or manufactured 'stuff' supplied by the humans. 

The fact that it's a steampunk story really allows you to go town with the realities of it.  Just because there are old myths and legends and stories that can be researched and used, doesn't mean they have to be. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 04:16:17 pm »

My question would be, in a world populated by humans, vampires and zombies, who rules the roost?  If vampires and zombies are top of the social strata, the obvious answer would be that they eat.... well, us....

If, on the other hand, it is the humans at the top of the pyramid, maybe they have the vampires and zombies on a tight leash.  Maybe the only reason the vampires and zombies are allowed to exist is to do work or some other function deemed beneath the dignity of the humans.  Maybe then they are treated as beasts of burden and live off of artificial or manufactured 'stuff' supplied by the humans. 

I agree with the above. I mean I remember having a discussion with some people at this year's asylum about SP zombies and someone proposed the idea of a zombie based army, the idea being that some zombies have been trained in some way shape or form to continually operate rifles/muskets and are used as cannon fodder to pad the ranks, there's a use right there.

A possible explanation for vampires is perhaps some form of parasitic organism that feeds on the chemicals in human blood, and grants the victims supernatural abilities (e.g. strength, speed, healing etc.) but which forces them to seek other sources in order to preserve their own life. I can imagine that a use could be found for their increased skills in exchange for them being given regular transfusions.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 09:15:41 pm by Madasasteamfish » Logged

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 04:48:49 pm »

You could also have the vampires living in the shadows but fighting the sudden outbreak of zombieism among humans as it threatens their food supply.
Amelia Albergee
Swab

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2016, 06:29:32 pm »

Thank you everyone for your help Tongue

And especially this idea:
You could also have the vampires living in the shadows but fighting the sudden outbreak of zombieism among humans as it threatens their food supply.

Definitively a perfect plot. Much better than the one I was considering. Smiley  Back to the drawing board!!

Thank you!
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2016, 07:09:58 pm »

The fact that it's a steampunk story really allows you to go town with the realities of it.  Just because there are old myths and legends and stories that can be researched and used, doesn't mean they have to be. 

Typical portrayals have the vampires living entirely outside of the hierarchy of society, with the exception of vampires that happen to be eastern European nobility. Zombies tend to be portrayed as if they were wild animals invading human areas, with the exception of traditional Haitian zombies, who are used for slave labor.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2016, 07:11:18 pm »

You might want to use a different word as well. In the Sherlock Holmes versus zombies comic they are called revenants.
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2016, 07:14:01 pm »

You could also go down a different route. Zombie outbreak happens but gets under control. Zombies are then used as cheap labour, and the industrial revolution never happens. Perhaps some luddites feel the zombies are stealing their jobs.
morozow
Snr. Officer
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2016, 04:58:40 pm »

Oh, these pragmatic Victorians. Even zombies want to put to the machine and chase to the slaughter on the battlefield.

Ghosts, spirits, demons. They can serve as the control center for the steam machines.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Angus A Fitziron
Zeppelin Overlord

Research Air Ship R.A.S. 'Saorsa'

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2016, 03:09:50 pm »

I don't know how far you can stretch the assignment requirements but in H.G.Wells' book 'The War of The Worlds' (absolutely Steampunk canon) the Martian invaders were vampires. They were not named as such but they economised on internal organs by feeding directly off of other life forms' blood. This opens up another angle and allows you to differentiate between Steampunk and Victorian drama.
Like other commentators, to me, zombies are much later than the era usually thought about as Steampunk and so there is little to go on. I suppose it depends on what your story is going to be about - romance, mystery, crime, science, historic... Personally I quite like the idea of going back to Haitian voodoo and maybe look at a story about the struggle between Haitians and French forces under the leadership of a charismatic general, trying to re-enslave the country. The general is, of course a vampire and the Haitians are ultimately saved by a legion of the living dead! Look at the timeline for Haiti slavery to create a reasonable and believable thread for your story. A good basis in fact is a key part in making any story believable and engaging.

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"
Burgess Shale
Officer

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2016, 09:52:04 pm »

Instead of mindlessly toiling on a plantation, zombies could be used to toil mindlessly in an industrial setting. A vampire industrialist could work laborers to death and... beyond. Zombies could operate dangerous machines or stoke boilers, shoveling coal until they are too worn out to be useful, for example. Their last action could be to crawl in and become fuel themselves.

In Octobers past, I've played in several zombie LARP games. I needed to act like a zombie and do zombie things and observe them as myself, as one does. This made me wonder what it would be like to have a normal, rational human mind trapped inside of a zombie, and yet be unable to control the zombie. The mind inside would observe in abject terror as their body does all sorts of horrible zombie things, maybe eventually enjoying these activities after a time. This could make for an interesting first person narration.

Dean of the Department of Palaeontology at the American Institute of Natural History and Decorative Arts
morozow
Snr. Officer
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2016, 06:44:24 am »

Team zombie under the care of a brave engineer-anatomist builds a railroad somewhere in the wilderness. All casually and formally.

And in the evenings, he argues with the local priests about life, the progress and the scope of acceptable.
Newchurch
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2016, 08:32:04 pm »

I have a guilty pleasure.  The movie Sucker Punch.  It's a bad movie, but I enjoy it if I don't try to make any sense out of it, and just treat it as an extended music video. 

I mention it because there is a great sequence in it which has a very steampunk theme to it, particularly because it has a great Zeppelin.  It's set in the trenches, and looks like the western front in the first world war.  At the start of the sequence the enemy are described as having found a way to re-animate their fallen, using steam power and electricity.  So don't worry about killing them; they are dead already. 

Steampunk, of course, never happened, so has no set historical period.  But the great war would probably normally be regarded as outside the normal historical setting for steampunk.  However it has great steampunk potential; airships, submarines, poison gas, armoured land ships and fighting steam powered dreadnoughts.

You probably should not watch this short video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSbeN14YsJY
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2016, 08:30:07 pm »

I have a guilty pleasure.  The movie Sucker Punch.  It's a bad movie, but I enjoy it if I don't try to make any sense out of it, and just treat it as an extended music video. 

I recall that there was a thread on this forum some years ago (circa 2009 / 2010), it was started by somebody from the production crew of Sucker Punch - they were asking for ideas / opinions on the steampunk inspired aesthetics used in the film.  Believe it or not, we had a very small amount of input in that movie...

Sadly I cannot find that original thread now, it must have been deleted / purged over time.  Undecided

For some reason, I seem to recall that the thread was under a "[Kicktstater]" or "[Fund me]" type title heading, so this may have taken place in Trading, which eventually purges old posts over a year or so old. However, the only problem with that is that the film actually had a huge budget and was not crowd funded (to my knowledge), sooooo that can't actually be the case then...   Huh

Hmmm, a disconcerting level of mental recall...  Undecided

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2016, 10:46:38 pm »

I think plausible deniability is best in the case of that movie.
SeVeNeVeS
Immortal
England England

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2016, 01:44:00 pm »

I must confess to never seen Sucker-Punch, so found it online for a view.

Kinda reminded me of Tank Girl in a way, but with a very sad tale.

6/10 goodish, not so steampunk, or a feel good movie but with some influences which could envelope some steampunk aesthetics.

My 2 bobs worth.........
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: