The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 12:46:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Southeastern US Tea Culture?  (Read 610 times)
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« on: October 15, 2016, 08:32:40 pm »

As much tea as I drink as someone from Tennessee, I am fairly shamed to admit I know little to nothing of how TTea as a beverage was in the late 19th century. Was it mostly rich and townies only? Where the British seem to have a stereotype of afternoon tea (tea with light meals) anything associated with Southern Tea?

To clarify I mean the actual tea plant when I speak of 'tea' as anything can be boiled and steeped to make a tea from (isn't willow bark a sort of pre-asprine pain killer centric tea?)

One thing I'd sorta heard but know nothing on is it was mainly a rich drink because all of the ingredients needed importing: ie imported tea, imported ice, imported sugar.

Were tea houses a thing?

Sure I can make up whatever i like, but I want to have touches of real things blended in where possible.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 08:42:17 pm by Lazaras » Logged

Cheapie Theatre
Want something to read? Got ten minutes to kill? Here you go!
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 04:00:32 am »

That seems a difficult question, actually. There is much hub-bub about the Colonial Era and Revolutionary Era, tea culture and history vis-a-vis patriotism and tea taxation in Colonial America, but what happened in the aftermath of Independence is a much murkier question. What we do know is that drinking of tea-leaf drinks immediately preceding and in the aftermath of Independence was seen as unpatriotic, so a series of alternatives popped up (herbal teas infused with peppermint, sage or dandelions).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_tea_culture#History

I think maybe study the Plantation Economy and the Southern Gentry Culture?  We know that cold tea drinking must have emerged at some point in the South.

RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 06:03:18 am »

I read somewhere that sweet ice tea is a popular drink in the American south because there was a time when you had to be fairly wealthy to have tea, sugar, and ice. That would have been pre-refrigeration. Maybe some relevant information can be gleaned from this.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 07:28:52 am »

I read somewhere that sweet ice tea is a popular drink in the American south because there was a time when you had to be fairly wealthy to have tea, sugar, and ice. That would have been pre-refrigeration. Maybe some relevant information can be gleaned from this.

So Iced Tea is a Southern Gentry thing?
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 07:05:50 pm »

So I have heard.
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 02:08:36 am »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilex_vomitoria
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 02:54:51 am »

Yeah, as soon as you can get ice tea, you've likely arrived in the South...Wink I've been a ice-tea-powered person for decades. As for gentry-level, most business cafeterias or break rooms have free tea, sugar, and hot water, so any schlub can have it.
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 09:38:47 pm »

Well NOW sure but I ws meaning more late ninteenth/early twentieth century.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: