The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 15, 2017, 06:58:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need ideas for 18th Century items.  (Read 613 times)
Bioboy98
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: October 13, 2016, 04:09:53 pm »

Ello all. It's been a long time since I posted here. But I am looking to be a vendor at some local Colonial events, so I figured I would fire up my account again Cheesy. So here is what I have so far.

I am going to make a snake oil wagon as my tent, most of the events you have to dress and live period while at the event if your a vendor. So instead of a tent as a booth like the others, I am going to make a wagon trailer. So I am thinking of selling 18th century steampunk articles, such as some simpler steampunk goggles, oils, elixirs and the such. I had even thought of maybe doing wood journals. I have skills in 3D modelling and my dad has a CNC router for wood carving. I am having a hard time thinking of things that would work for that time period. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Hello! I am Sir Watson. But you can call me bioboy. I am on a journey to travel the landscapes to find gears and cogs of all shapes and sizes! I hope to eventually have the time/money to make my own steampunk inventions!
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 05:22:17 pm »

OK Snake oil salesman. Snake skins, Sharks teeth, Unicorn horn (Narwhal actually) 
Allegedly magical herbs and powders (See cooking supplies) Keepsake boxes and of course medicine boxes. 
Strange Things in jars, hex dolls, charms,lucky heather, painted pebbles. 
Books of Proverbs, Spoof Almanacs.
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 06:18:34 pm »

Certainly mysterious books and oddities - feejee mermaids and so on...

HP

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
Bioboy98
Deck Hand

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 06:58:16 pm »

I looked up Feegee mermaids.....Those are creepy...lol.

I like the idea of the shark teeth and such. But I don't think most of the people at this event would be interested in anything too weird if you get what I'm saying. I think small antiques, and trinkets/usable items would be more popular. it's a 1812 reenactment/festival in Indiana....
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 08:13:46 pm »

Things associated with needlework always go down well as they can be used by reenactors as well as the general public.  You can look these up.
Bioboy98
Deck Hand

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 09:05:41 pm »

I suck at needle work. But I had thought buying some vintage clothing as a filler.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 12:23:10 am »

What about small packets of dried kitchen herbs? You could research the mystical properties and uses of each one, and finish off your spiel with, "... and they make your food taste better!"

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Bioboy98
Deck Hand

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 02:33:17 am »

I like that idea. Little glass jars with spices and herbs. Maybe even do little tags with information on them. I also thought of a friend who does knitting. What kind of things could you make from knitting? Also none these have a distinct Steampunk feel.
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2016, 07:52:06 pm »

But 18th century is not very steampunk - although some steampunks also do pirates as 18th century.  18th century clothes are also hard to come by and are very expensive.  But little items that go in a ladies sewing box would be easy for you to make.
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2016, 09:53:40 pm »

Things like a small brass compass in a wooden box are suitable for both 18th century and steampunk events. 
Some of the games with magnets could be made suitable as well.

Books of folk charms. Horoscope pamphlets The suitable period style of blank notebook.

There are quite a lot of pretty things that qualify as charms

The clearer description of the use of herbs as magic and cooking ingredients looked good.
Also anti moth charm bags that should help keep the critters out of your clothes.
Lavender pillows to aid restless sleep.

If your persona is good at distillation some forms of cosmetics and perfumes. 
The non poisonous recipes of the time or modern equivalents. eg. rose water and a matching rose hand cream. Small pots of lip balm, rouge etc.
Patch boxes and some beauty patches to go in them.
Printed chart of meanings attributed to the placement and shapes of beauty patch
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2016, 03:13:52 am »

But 18th century is not very steampunk - although some steampunks also do pirates as 18th century.  18th century clothes are also hard to come by and are very expensive.  But little items that go in a ladies sewing box would be easy for you to make.

They actually mean 19th century, not 18th - it's a common mistake (20th century being 1900 onward still confuses people too). Wink

it's a 1812 reenactment/festival in Indiana....

So, yeah it's 19th century, and that date means it's early Regency era... Smiley

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Wilhelm Smydle
Snr. Officer

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2016, 07:04:24 pm »

A vardo maybe a decent option for your wagon.
Building in on a small trailer with detachable tongue works well.

The local tinsmith used hinges so the sides would drop providing space to display his wares.
Pannels would also drop to cover the tires, lights, and other requirements for towing the trailer.

As for goods it really depends on how strict the group/venue is to the 19th century.
Rev war and civil war groups are usually fairly strict on documentable wares, the rendevue groups are less fussy but it really depends on who's involved.

you need to know the product and be able to demonstrate its use.

Some sewing stuff like drop spindles are fairly easy to make an use.
margins tend to be better on items you make, but ask around there maybe others making stuff that would sell but not have the acumen to vend or the volume to fill a booth.
Consignment works well but requires contracts and solid invintory tracking.

Old fashion wooden toys, whirlygigs, kitchen utensils maybe good options as you have a wood shop.

Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2016, 12:55:09 am »

Wooden spoons for cooking, love spoons, breadboards, wooden two-pronged forks, or even door wedges. All easily enough made, and for C19th cooks, never enough wooden spoons! Just don't go making them out of yew or other toxic timber!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2016, 12:35:29 am »

Replica glassware, China, bowls etc. 

Belts, buckles,  pouches, vests

Knitted beanies , crochet shawls,

Jewelry, broached,  bracelets, earing,  necklaces
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2016, 12:37:12 am »

Posters, small framed art ,  coasters, trinket boxes, ornamental or vintage bottles,  containers,  trays .
steiconi
Gunner
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2016, 04:27:56 am »

19th century peddler would stock a wide range of items; you could expand your   
Ribbons, sewing/embroidery thread and supplies, other items fair-goers might use to make/decorate their costumes.
small utensils like pocket knives, spoons.   Costume pieces and hand props they could show off at the fair--and tell others where they got 'em.

CNC machine--how about small mechanical toys cut from wood? 

If you can find blanks, glass paperweights with steampunk or other designs on the base (printed pictures could be glued to the bottom, or you could use glass paints for original designs.   
"Oddities" like seashells (carved if you like), scrimshaw/whalebone, geodes and rock/crystal samples
beads, jewelry, cameos (molded from resin in steampunk designs?)
candles (well, people then would make their own, but this is the 21st century and we like to buy them ready made)

When I used to do craft fairs, I found that items in a wide range of prices kept sales up.  Sometimes a person would buy a cheap item, then come back for the expensive one they really wanted.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2016, 09:31:33 am »

In keeping  with the snake  oil merchant theme; soaps, lotions , balms  etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: