The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2017, 01:53:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ada Lovelace, Aviatrix  (Read 568 times)
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« on: October 12, 2016, 03:33:52 pm »

I was just reading the Wikipedia entry for Ada Lovelace and I found out something that I had never heard before:

At age 12 this future "Lady Fairy", as Charles Babbage affectionately called her, decided she wanted to fly. Ada went about the project methodically, thoughtfully, with imagination and passion. Her first step in February 1828, was to construct wings. She investigated different material and sizes. She considered various materials for the wings: paper, oilsilk, wires and feathers. She examined the anatomy of birds to determine the right proportion between the wings and the body. She decided to write a book Flyology illustrating, with plates, some of her findings. She decided what equipment she would need, for example, a compass, to "cut across the country by the most direct road", so that she could surmount mountains, rivers and valleys. Her final step was to integrate steam with the "art of flying".

How different might things have been if she had stuck to this childhood obsession.
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 03:46:49 pm »

One wonders why she gave it up? Maybe realization that it was not possible with then-current technology?

Cheapie Theatre
Want something to read? Got ten minutes to kill? Here you go!
cossoft
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 04:45:43 am »

Good job.  Better for her to stay indoors, not get her hair all frizzy and, err, conceive the general purpose computer instead  Wink

I like Flyology.  It must be what the birds study when they're little. 
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 06:30:38 am »

The Lady Ava Lovelace and Rear Adm Grace Hopper ( deceased ) are both my heroes ... heroines ?

yhs
prof marvel (retired)

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: