The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 12:04:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My first goggles, a work in progress  (Read 676 times)
popuptoaster
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

What? Where?

« on: October 10, 2016, 11:37:41 am »

OK, so as a cautious first attempt I started with a cheap pair of welding goggles, an easy base to build from and takes away the need to scratch build.

I have had these rattly old low powered bins laying around for years so i started disassembling to see which parts may be useful.

So, by luck it turns out the large lens and it's metalwork is a pretty good fit with the goggles, as it simply screws into the end of the binocular and also fits slightly loosely into the lens retainer of the goggles I dremelled the end off the binoculars and created a locking ring for the lens. You can see how this works in the photos, the lens goes in the front, the ring goes in the back and screws down and then when i screw the reatiner back on the goggles it clamps everything down nice and tight.

It is actually functional and works as a magnifier for close work, (and makes your eyeball look massive!!) so I am going to do the same for the other eyepiece.

However as these are easily removable I am also creating something more "fantastical" looking so I can swap back and forth as I desire, these parts all have a nice distressed look and have lenses in so i will be investigating adding a nice green glow for the smaller lenses.

I will need to work on the finish to get a more brassy look and I will be changing the straps to something more suitable, I shall update as I go.

I'm sorry madam, I'm just not that much of a gentleman.
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 04:01:09 pm »

Between Now and Christmas you should look out for interesting light up objects, badges, ornaments etc. for cheap ready made lights.
popuptoaster
Snr. Officer

What? Where?

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 04:59:16 pm »

Between Now and Christmas you should look out for interesting light up objects, badges, ornaments etc. for cheap ready made lights.

I think I can build something that will fit in the eyepiece quite easily and cheaply, you don't need much to get an LED running and the lenses should disperse the light quite nicely so I can just poke them through the back, I left holes in the backing plate for illumination so i should be able attach some resistors and a battery to the back of it to make it self contained.

Superglue fumes have fogged one of the lenses, they are glass so it does clean off but I'm going to see what it looks like with a light behind it.

Plenty of space on the back

Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 06:27:45 pm »

These are looking really good. The three lenses in one eyepiece works really well and the fact that they will work as magnifiers is a lovely piece of serendipity (I do like Steampunked accessories that have some actual function). More WIP pictures please!

Yours,
Miranda.
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 07:49:36 pm »

Looking good! A nice new approach, and building well. Keep the wip coming  Wink

HP

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 08:52:11 pm »

Looks great so far. Keep it up!

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
popuptoaster
Snr. Officer

What? Where?

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 08:30:01 pm »

There may be lulls and then progress in chunks, (vaguely steamy I suppose, I deliver steel in a lorry which I can almost imagine is steam powered if I try hard enough!) and sometimes just want to sleep when i get home!

They are currently wearable but need all the finishing touches doing probably wont add to much more hardware as they are already fairly weighty although they stay on nicely and I can see through the magnifier lens well enough to wander around without walking in to things!

Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 10:23:03 pm »

There may be lulls and then progress in chunks, (vaguely steamy I suppose, I deliver steel in a lorry which I can almost imagine is steam powered if I try hard enough!) and sometimes just want to sleep when i get home!

They are currently wearable but need all the finishing touches doing probably wont add to much more hardware as they are already fairly weighty although they stay on nicely and I can see through the magnifier lens well enough to wander around without walking in to things!

Just... how Big are your next set of goggles going to be...  Grin

HP

Wink

p.s.  nice beard!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: