The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 22, 2017, 09:10:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chasing the Sun: The woman forgotten by science.  (Read 399 times)
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« on: October 05, 2016, 02:53:38 pm »

Chasing the Sun: The woman forgotten by science

On the far side of the Moon lies the Maunder crater, named after two British astronomers - Annie and Walter Maunder.

Annie worked alongside her husband at the end of the 19th Century, recording the dark spots that pepper the Sun.

The name Maunder is still known in scientific circles, yet Annie has somehow slipped from history.

"I think the name Maunder is there and we have all rather forgotten that that's two people," says Dr Sue Bowler, editor of the Royal Astronomical Society magazine, Astronomy and Geophysics.

"She was acknowledged on papers, she published in her own name as well as with her husband, she wrote books, she was clearly doing a lot of work but she also clearly kept to the conventions of the day, I think."
(c) BBC '16

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Fabricator and temporally confused.

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 05:32:28 pm »

A fascinating scientist.  Thank you for sharing.

Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: