The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 04:44:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Victorian Slum - BBC2  (Read 895 times)
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: October 03, 2016, 10:30:14 pm »

The question is often asked - why do we, as Steampunks, often choose to present the facade of the Victorian/Edwardian upper or middle classes? Well, the obvious answer is it's much nicer to wear lovely clothes than soot and poo stained rags  Wink. However, if you wish to see how the Victorian other half lived (or would that be other 60%, 70%... 80%?) BBC2 have a new historical reality show The Victorian Slum. Transmission is next Monday, 9pm I think. From the trailer I think the team who brought us The Victorian Farm etc. are involved, although I only caught the end of it so I may be wrong on that.

Yours,
Miranda.

P.S. Something else for those people with access to the All4 Channel 4 catch-up service - the irrepressible Guy Martin, in an episode from a couple of weeks ago of his series Speed With... tried to fly a pedal-powered airship across the English channel.
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 04:16:05 am »

Ohhh, more goodness, thanks!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

Fabricator and temporally confused.

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 09:55:40 pm »

Ohhh, more goodness, thanks!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

May I request clarification, please?  I don't understand the reference.

I thoroughly enjoyed the reality TV show "1900 House".  This one sounds a little grimmer.

Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 10:05:16 pm »

I saw the trailer for this, which said that they were recreating the conditions of the Victorian slums - does that mean that those taking part will be getting typhoid, typhus and cholera? How about some lice and fleas too?  I wonder just how far the participants are willing to go for historical accuracy .....

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Drew P
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 01:56:59 am »

The Great British Bake-off series was sold.....they got rid of essential players.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 09:07:41 am »

Lovely... Not. Child labour perhaps? I'm imagining a Dickensian scenario here. Even for educational purposes, would subjecting children to those conditions of illness, malnutrition and labour be legal? I don't care how acurate you want to be, I'd never volunteer for a job like that.

Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 03:19:27 pm »

Child labour perhaps? I'm imagining a Dickensian scenario here. Even for educational purposes, would subjecting children to those conditions of illness, malnutrition and labour be legal?

Not legal but immensely satisfying nevertheless.

Actually the write-up about it does mention the children complaining as they 'spend their days gluing matchboxes together and their nights (hungry) three to a bed' (Quote from 'Radio Times 8-14 October')
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 06:34:59 pm »

Child labour perhaps? I'm imagining a Dickensian scenario here. Even for educational purposes, would subjecting children to those conditions of illness, malnutrition and labour be legal?

Actually the write-up about it does mention the children complaining as they 'spend their days gluing matchboxes together and their nights (hungry) three to a bed' (Quote from 'Radio Times 8-14 October')

Ah - there's nothing like the great British holiday camp  Grin

The Great British Bake-off series was sold.....they got rid of essential players.

Mel Giedroyc, Sue Perkins and Mary Berry apparently all chose not to follow the production to Channel 4. I do expect, in due course, the Beeb to announce an entirely unrelated show involving heating mixtures of flour, milk, butter, egg and sundry other ingredients which, just by pure chance, will happen to have these individuals in it.

Yours,
Miranda.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 08:13:11 pm »

Next we will develop a reality TV show reproducing Roman Britain and/or Europe including (but not limited to) real gladiatorial games, slavery and crucifixions. All the while live audiences will be provided with wine sweetened with lead, and public sanitation facilities, featuring al-fresco toilets and sponges soaked in vinegar instead of toilet paper...  Fun stuff!
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 03:34:59 pm »

Next we will develop a reality TV show reproducing Roman Britain and/or Europe including (but not limited to) real gladiatorial games, slavery and crucifixions. All the while live audiences will be provided with wine sweetened with lead, and public sanitation facilities, featuring al-fresco toilets and sponges soaked in vinegar instead of toilet paper...  Fun stuff!

Ah, I see, a sort of cross between X-Factor and Glastonbury.
Captain Trellis
Snr. Officer
England England

Auspicium melioris ævi

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2016, 08:08:04 pm »

Ah, I see, a sort of cross between X-Factor and Glastonbury.

I just choked on my wine gum.......

Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2016, 10:45:51 pm »

That's why I love Ruth Goodman, Peter Ginn and Alex Langlands whenever they do anything about the Victorian era

Tis' bona to vada your dolly old eke.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2016, 12:11:53 am »

Will await with interest to see if the ABC or SBS pick it up. Actually, they could probably do an Antipodean version using the vile slums of Victorian era Sydney or Melbourne, and add the intolerable summer heat to the burdens of city slum dwellers!

To quote a famous Australian poet:
"I am sitting in my dingy little office, where a stingy
Ray of sunlight struggles feebly down between the houses tall,
And the foetid air and gritty of the dusty, dirty city
Through the open window floating, spreads its foulness over all

And in place of lowing cattle, I can hear the fiendish rattle
Of the tramways and the 'buses making hurry down the street,
And the language uninviting of the gutter children fighting,
Comes fitfully and faintly through the ceaseless tramp of feet.

And the hurrying people daunt me, and their pallid faces haunt me
As they shoulder one another in their rush and nervous haste,
With their eager eyes and greedy, and their stunted forms and weedy,
For townsfolk have no time to grow, they have no time to waste."
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2016, 04:57:16 am »

Our Australian  friend has given I Spira tion for a joint bbc/ channel 7  reality series on the life of the transported convict.   The trial,  wait on the prison  hulks,   the horrid  rancid journey  to Botany bay,  the famine and rations  on shore, hostile natives  . The heat, hunger, hard labour  flogging  and dodging the  insatiable attentions of  naval  crew and military   men - for both genders
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2016, 09:32:46 am »

Add in our friend the flogging parson, Samuel Marsden, the NSW Corps (aka The Rum Corps), John Macarthur, and mutiny and we'd have a certain hit. Although I don't think channel 7 would do it justice - needs the ABC for government corruption, blood and misery!
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2016, 05:24:59 pm »

The BBC made a series drama called 'Banished' using this setting. I only watched a few bits of it but there did seem to be a lot of heaving bosoms, evil authority figures and noble common folk (well it was written by Jimmy McGovern).  The only actor I can recall from it is Myanna Burling, who plays Long Susan in 'Ripper Street'.
Aubreay Fallowfield
Snr. Officer

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2016, 01:36:38 pm »

Saw a bit on the BBC Breakfast this morning
Apparently they have a gentleman on it who is an amputee with a prosthetic leg. They had him replace it with a wooden peg leg for the show for authenticity.
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2016, 06:56:09 pm »

Thats not true, they all (well not counting the bloke) have gone on record to say that they want nothing to do with it anymore and have left of there own choice.

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2016, 06:59:58 pm »

Ah - there's nothing like the great British holiday camp  Grin

Mel Giedroyc, Sue Perkins and Mary Berry apparently all chose not to follow the production to Channel 4. I do expect, in due course, the Beeb to announce an entirely unrelated show involving heating mixtures of flour, milk, butter, egg and sundry other ingredients which, just by pure chance, will happen to have these individuals in it.

Yours,
Miranda.

The Great Victorian Bakeoff....
Oh wait they did that.
Maybe have the Actress who plays Victoria in the ITV series of the same name will be interesting.
Kevin C Cooper Esq
Zeppelin Captain

Asymetry is the bane of my life

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2016, 08:38:25 pm »

Mel Giedroyc, Sue Perkins and Mary Berry apparently all chose not to follow the production to Channel 4.

Yours,
Miranda.
Every cloud has a silver lining!

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2016, 07:03:57 am »

Add in our friend the flogging parson, Samuel Marsden, the NSW Corps (aka The Rum Corps), John Macarthur, and mutiny and we'd have a certain hit. Although I don't think channel 7 would do it justice - needs the ABC for government corruption, blood and misery!

Samuel Marsden  made his presence felt here  in the mission. I can picture a red face with perspiration  flying off his brow.

Roll on a good mutiny  !
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2016, 09:21:50 pm »

Samuel Marsden  made his presence felt here  in the mission. I can picture a red face with perspiration  flying off his brow.

Roll on a good mutiny  !

You can't have a good mutiny without a bounty (bar) at the end.  Wink

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Banfili
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2016, 12:41:06 am »

"Tsk! Miss Wells, Tsk!"
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2016, 12:46:12 pm »

The BBC made a series drama called 'Banished' using this setting. I only watched a few bits of it but there did seem to be a lot of heaving bosoms, evil authority figures and noble common folk (well it was written by Jimmy McGovern).  The only actor I can recall from it is Myanna Burling, who plays Long Susan in 'Ripper Street'.

I enjoyed that series It's currently available on Netflix.
It's just a shame it wasn't popular enough to get a 2nd series.

Other well known character actors in it included Ewen Bremner ('Trainspotting'), Russell Tovey ('Being Human'), Ned Dennehy ('Peaky Blinders'), Julian Rhind-Tutt, Orla Brady and a whole bunch of people were you go ''Hang on, I know that face. What were they in?''.... Smiley

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: