The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 09:04:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2016 is coming. You in?  (Read 727 times)
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« on: October 03, 2016, 01:28:48 pm »

This will be the tenth year since I first stumbled onto 'Write a Novel in a Month' and by the time it rolls around I'll have properly moved and hopefully won't be so swamped i won't want to do any writing.

So I figure I'll revisit the original concept that started it all with me: A Necromancer that wishes to use his powers for positive ends. He likes sunshine, farming, dogs, and is relentlessly optimistic in spite of having not just a front row seat but actively can FEEL death and has to resist a cocaine like pull whenever his magic tweaks. All in a world tat probably will have a lot of steamish/victorian feel to it in terms of technology (augmented by magic.) IE the look/feel i'm wanting is 'Prestige' with a touch of Tinman thrown in for the magical bits.

Also Necromancy is illegal because of the last great war that blighted the land making the only real sources of learning death cults.

So Y'know. Fun times. It's probably gonna suck, but y'know? I want to step up to bat again.

Postscript: Oh! If anyone wants to look at the last (Incomplete) Iteration/attempt I made out of this a few years back here's a fictionpress link.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 01:30:39 pm by Lazaras » Logged

Cheapie Theatre
Want something to read? Got ten minutes to kill? Here you go!
qui est in literis
Zeppelin Admiral

Who Art In Letters

quiestinliteris
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 03:40:19 am »

Do it. This sounds marvelous. Smiley
And of course it'll suck. Fifty thousand words in a month can't help but. That's what editing is for!
I'm in, too. Dracula pastiche. Next generation of vampire hunters, interbellum, when the undead are small fry compared to what human beings do to one another.

"She knew where she stood, when she stood among books." -The Medium

Qui Est In Literis
The Angry Villagers: Cryptoexterminology Supply
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 06:52:16 am »

I was thinking 'cult' but as I bounced ideas off of a friend the group sounded less like a cult with a compound and could fully insulate its members from the world and more a ang that formed to look out for eachother's interests, help keep eachother safe, and so forth. The thing is while they do a bit of shadey stuff due to the fact most of them are outlaw simply for the magic they were born with (Necromancy) most don't like the whole death and violence angle.

I want the act 2 climax to be where MC isn't the big leader to rally everyone against the heavy group leader wanting to do a show of force, but more someone to remind people that there are more of them than the guy that's trying to cow them into line, and that if they go down this path they prove the world right.

I'm just... I dunno I'm not sure if I can pull this off.

Setting is late 19th century technology-wise with magic filling in some aspects and science other or working in tandum (with like magic stabilizing patiance while medicine does long term care, or magic able to do locla couriers via pixies but long term inter-city communication is a telletype-like machine/lines.

The main thing is I want a gang that's on the surface the lawful world's worst nightmare (a collective of death-magic slinging outlaws,) but if given half a chance are actually eager and wanting to live honest lives... theyr'e just all yoked under someone who sees the world as unwilling to ever give them a chance.

MC's roe in this is someone who just got outed as having that same illegal magic and this gang/group/coven saved from burning to death in his store and now he's learning from them while at the same time going from 'crap I have to join Team Evil' to 'most of these people are honestly pretty nice.' to 'oh crap I have to help shake some of these people back to their senses so they'll stop this ultra bad thing about to happen.'

All without making MC look like a special snowflake in spite of being unusually talented/powerful (easily picks up on things. NOt like The Second Coming/Messiah, just someone who picks up on necromancy and can find new uses for old spells (which ironically are actually OLD uses.) There's stronger, and better, but it's like Toki vs Swig from Dethklok; toki's justnaturally talanted and swig has worked his fingers off to get as good as he is.

my problem is this whole thing falls into the area of 'I have little life experiance that would help' (I think.) I want to try making something that feels plausible rather than 'this can only be in fantasy storyland people don't act like that
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 10:06:12 pm »

Plotted, characters, some facts, and ready to go. Took out the prologue, need to dial back the 'pictures at an exposition' cut out adverbs, adjectives, amp up the conflict...yeah. I'm good

Mechanic Williams
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

I need a bigger hammer. BIGGER! That's it...

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 08:28:23 am »

I'm in. Although alas mine's not steampunk themed, rather an urban fantasy based on my experience working in a book pulping warehouse. That's what I get for putting it to Facebook...

Either way I'm looking forward to it, I'm mostly in the planning stages accompanied by scribbles of scenes. I will then take those notes, put them into a blender, then pour those into my computer and let Open Office do the rest. That's how writing works, right?

If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical problem.
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 04:55:18 pm »

Wait, a book pulping warehouse?

Please, tell me more.
Mechanic Williams
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

I need a bigger hammer. BIGGER! That's it...

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 07:45:18 pm »

WELL...

Basically when I came home to the south after a year in Preston I signed up to a couple of agencies, one of which gave me a labouring job in a warehouse. Wasn't sure what to expect until I got there, then found out my role was basically to shift pallets of books to a skip, fill the skip with said books (Usually damaged, rejected or the kinds of trashy pulp fiction that not even Sainsburys can sell). While I did regret my involvement in that role to a point, I was able to acquire most of the works of Neil Gaiman for absolutely free Cheesy
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 09:09:44 pm »

I'm in this year  Grin
I'm do a two-fer
Two joined stories in one NaNoWriMo.

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
Ethereal Ink
Deck Hand

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 07:48:08 pm »

A couple of my friends will be participating this year, but alas, school consumes me so I can't really participate.

I am working on a webcomic on the side, though, and will probably work on world building while they write their novels at the cafe. Super excited for that!
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2016, 02:42:56 pm »

For those who are taking part, how are you doing?
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 04:05:33 am »

I've got the first draft done, but don't have a way to 'publish' it. Evidently, after a certain date, you can send it up for a word count. What would prevent someone from 'publishing' the Manhattan Phone Book, I dunno...Wink

I stuck the whole thing on Wattpad (won't they love that...Wink under Yuroven, another alias...
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 05:51:56 pm »

I've got the first draft done, but don't have a way to 'publish' it. Evidently, after a certain date, you can send it up for a word count. What would prevent someone from 'publishing' the Manhattan Phone Book, I dunno...Wink

I stuck the whole thing on Wattpad (won't they love that...Wink under Yuroven, another alias...

from the example I saw at my writer's guild meeting, the NaNoWriMo site accepts word count or documents on day one, because it shows a graph on a daily basis of your progress.  I'm not sure how as I've not done NaNoWriMo, but I deduce the functionality is in there...

I noticed it, because one of the "friends" of the presenter had 50,000 words on day 1, and ended at 200,000.  I call BS on getting 50,000 words freshly generated in one day, as I can write about 900 words an hour which is pretty fast.  However, you can speak 900 words in 11 minutes or so as one other member attested.  So a voice-to-text app might make it possible to dictate and capture that much.

The Corsair
Defective Inspector
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

PixieOnTheMic
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2016, 05:10:53 am »

Well as it is my plans have already fallen through as some filming obligations got moved forward. At least I got some short pieces done, which is more than I can say for the last few months.

I think I should also mention I had a dream about this game, only Bailey was a woman...

I assure you, that incident in Singapore was all a misunderstanding.
pakled
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2016, 03:44:16 am »

Got the whole megilla run through the word counter, and I passed the 50,000 word mark. Doesn't mean it's actually good, or couldn't use a few tweaks (no work of art is ever completed, merely abandoned...Wink but it is done...
Kensington Locke
Officer

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2016, 03:17:25 pm »

congrats on crossing the finish line.

Now go edit Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: