The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 21, 2017, 03:51:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to forum looking for a crafter to build a harnes  (Read 605 times)
asterof
Swab

United States United States

« on: October 02, 2016, 12:02:37 am »

building chemical tanks to mount on a  backpack
Need to hire or purchase a SP style harness that I can mount
the chem tanks on. If anyone knows someone doing this type of
work, please let me know
Thanks
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 07:29:10 pm »

Funny. Just last night I was reading "The Great American Jetpack", about the history of the development of the technology. Chapter three covers the US military's first involvement with the development, and the proposals put forward by three contract bidders. One of the bidders included a fairly detailed description of the necessary harness; weight should rest on pilot's hips and legs when not flying; straps around chest to hold tanks firmly against back, etc.
Prof Marvel
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

learn from history, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 05:37:24 am »

Asterof , you are probably best off trying to contact local harness, saddle or bootmakers.
or possible the Kustom Kinky Leather House, but they are always pricy  Shocked

Funny. Just last night I was reading "The Great American Jetpack", about the history of the development of the technology. Chapter three covers the US military's first involvement with the development, and the proposals put forward by three contract bidders. One of the bidders included a fairly detailed description of the necessary harness; weight should rest on pilot's hips and legs when not flying; straps around chest to hold tanks firmly against back, etc.

Anything about plates covering the "seat area" ?

yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions and Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 06:13:17 am »

Anything about plates covering the "seat area" ?

yhs
prof marvel

If you are concerned about burns, there was no mention in the book an any pilots suffering that injury. There was one incident where the pilot lost control, fell to the ground, and got a third degree burn to his leg, another incident where the pilot fell attempting to launch from an unsteady platform and broke his arm, and I think one other incident with an injury to a limb during tethered indoor testing (I'm going to have to check the book again and verify that last one). Those three were all that the author uncovered in an extremely comprehensive survey of the careers of virtually every pilot up until the book's publication in 2013.

Real world rocket packs and jet packs usually position the nozzles so that they direct the streams far enough from the pilots body to minimize the risk of injury. The packs that have been built by professional aviation companies have been very well engineered and very extensively safety tested before any human pilot left the ground. Hobby-built packs, a recent phenomena, have been very carefully constructed based on photographs and leaked plans of aviation industry packs, so they have the same safety oriented designs.

So, no, there was no mention is the book of ass coverings.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: