The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 19, 2017, 05:37:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Top ten tunes for Halloween.  (Read 778 times)
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: October 01, 2016, 11:06:00 pm »

Around this time last year I mused as to what would be my top ten films to line up for a Halloween marathon. This year, instead of imagining an anti-social evening locked away watching movies, I started wondering as to what would be my top ten tunes for a All Hallows Eve soiree.

Let's assume there's already been a children's party, so the usual suspects (Thriller, The Monster Mash, Ghostbusters et al) have rather outstayed their welcome. So, what would be the playlist for the more mature audience? I think I'd go with these...

Werewolves of London (Warren Zevon): Always loves this track, and I can't hear it without thinking of one of my favourite films An American Werewolf in London, and I feel the two share the same tongue in cheek humour.

Don't Fear the Reaper (Blue Öyster Cult): Again, one of my absolute favourite tracks, and what could be more Halloween then the Grim Reaper?

Hammer Horror (Kate Bush): Any song which mentions Hammer Films could be in a Halloween playlist, and when it has Ms Bush's haunting vocals, well...

Vincent Price (Deep Purple): From a studio which will always be associated with horror to one of its greatest actors; good video too.

Bella Lugosi's Dead (Bauhaus): And to another icon (and for once I feel that overused term is justified) of the genre. Not actually a track I would normally play, but it would work on a dark Halloween night.

Candyman (Siouxsie and the Banshees): Sticking to the 80's, and of course Halloween is nothing if not Gothic and if that's the case the queen of the Goths had to be present and correct. So why not their track Halloween? Simply because I like this one better and enjoyed the Clive Barker story of the same name.

Like You (Evanescence): Keeping the Goth vibe going, and you could't get much more Gothic than the sentiment of this song.

Howl (Florence + The Machine): Another band with some rather black lyrics, and, despite there's already been a werewolf track in this list, as it quotes the Universal classic The Wolfman (and is a great song in its own right) it gets a place here.

The Number of the Beast (Iron Maiden): In my film list I had The Devil Rides Out; this is the song equivalent. When the album came out there were stories in the press of odd happenings around the band such as, if I remember correctly, an accident the repair bill for which was something like £666. Of course, this could all a been a lot of hype to sell albums...

Theme from Halloween: I thought I'd end the party with a piece of music that I always associate with fear. Maybe it's because of seeing the film at probably far too young an age, but to me the score of this piece just seems to sum up a seance of foreboding. So, I want to send my imaginary guests out into the dark Halloween night with this ringing in their ears. Of course that hulking, deformed shadow has always been there, and it must have been your imagination that made it seem to move. That low murmuring? Just the wind in the trees. And yes, that street light often just blacks out like that. Have a safe journey home...

I'm sure I've forgotten to include some excellent tracks in this list - what would you suggest?

Yours,
Miranda.

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 01:57:25 am »

The Nightmare Before Christmas Soundtrack #01 Overture

Harvey Midnight
Gunner

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 04:37:45 am »

Thanks for the great list-- several songs I have not heard before; I'll be sure to check them out!!

...Leave it to me, however, to find some really obscure tunes for Halloween... retro and edgy, sure to bring some nostalgic chills. I'll limit myself to ten:

1 Milton Delugg and his Orchestra-- "The Munsters Theme", cover
This is an amazing version of the classic tune; slows the tempo and amps up the rock & roll, while staying true to the original t.v. theme; great for cruisin' in a car with fins on Halloween weekend.

2. The Sammy Kaye Orchestra -- "The Night Walker", cover.
Again, this one's a cover, which brings some early 60's rock sensibility -- and guitar tremolo--  to the theme of the 1964 William Castle film "The Night Walker".

3. Cab Calloway- "The Ghost of Smokey Joe"
This song has everything you love about Cab Calloway's better known hit "Minnie The Moocher"-- plus a ghost!

4. Screamin' Jay Hawkins-- "I Put a Spell on You"
Yeah, yeah, yeah... we've all heard CCR's version. But Screamin' Jay? Ol' Johnny Fogerty just can't beat that deep, deep voice and the slow-drive of the 1956 classic.

5. Tim Curry- "Anything Can Happen on Halloween"
I don't think this was ever released as a single-- the only versions I've ever heard were grabs from the 1986 film 'The Worst Witch'.. I love Tim Curry, and I love Halloween... I love the 80's too. This one's a foregone conclusion.

6. The Creed Taylor Orchestra - "Haunted House"
I could have listed every track from the album 'Shock', where this song originates-- crazy 50's jazz, with sound effects mixed in to create a literal list of  'horror tracks' that each tell a story. This one, tho, connects most to the 'spookiness' of Halloween.

7. The Marketts - "Out of Limits"
Surf guitar spookytune inspired by the 'Outer Limits' theme.

8. The Ventures - "One Step Beyond (Fear)/Twilight Zone"
Two songs, actually--- surf remakes of classic spooky tv show themes--- the names, I'm sure you'll recognize. They were combined as one track on the 'Ultralounge' album 'TV Town', so I'll list them as one entry.

9. Sam The Sham and the Pharaohs -- "Hey, There, Little Red Riding Hood"
Not EXACTLY a Halloween song; a good ol' guitar-rock tune sung from the pov of the Big Bad Wolf... but the sound fits in with the rest of the list, so I thought I'd toss it in.

10. Neal Hefti- "The Batusi"
Sure, the old TV "Batman Theme" is a beloved campy jazz tune. Don't overlook this song, tho, the famous 'Batusi', a song, ironically, less famous than the mad dance Adam West performed, as Batman, along with it -- I think it makes a nice conclusion to my list, with it's sweet melody interlaced with the occasional,  mildly creepy beating of batwings.

Just checked, and I think every one of these is up for play on Youtube if you've never heard 'em. Hope you enjoy!

« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 05:24:51 am by Harvey Midnight » Logged
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 05:42:45 am »

Not my cup of tea, but the lead singer of this 1980s Los Angeles band, Danny Elfman, was freaky enough all by himself.

Oingo Boingo: Dead Man's Party
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iypUpv9xelg

He also had a working relationship with Tim Burton, writing the score for Sweeney Todd, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, and much earlier was the voice of Jack Skellington, the lead character in Nightmare Before Christmas, as well as the character Bone Jangles in Corpse Bride
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 05:53:42 am by J. Wilhelm » Logged
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 10:55:17 am »

Not my cup of tea, but the lead singer of this 1980s Los Angeles band, Danny Elfman, was freaky enough all by himself.

Oingo Boingo: Dead Man's Party
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iypUpv9xelg

He also had a working relationship with Tim Burton, writing the score for Sweeney Todd, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, and much earlier was the voice of Jack Skellington, the lead character in Nightmare Before Christmas, as well as the character Bone Jangles in Corpse Bride

I've always liked Danny Elfman's soundtracks for Burton's work, right from Beetlejuice. For the children's party there will be plenty of those keeping the Beetlejuice theme company - This Is Halloween, Remains of the Day and even the theme to Mars Attacks. I'm going to give The Simpsons theme a pass, though  Wink.

Thanks for the great list-- several songs I have not heard before; I'll be sure to check them out!!

...Leave it to me, however, to find some really obscure tunes for Halloween... retro and edgy, sure to bring some nostalgic chills. I'll limit myself to ten:

(snip)

Plenty of alternative to check out there! I had wondered about I Put A Spell On You, possibly the Nina Simone version. Actually, a few older tracks did pop into my mind, such as Mack the Knife; maybe for an alternative playlist. Anyway, the Bette Midler version of I Put.. from the film Hocus Pocus will be in there for the children.

Twilight Zone... I did briefly wonder about throwing in Rush's Twilight Zone or Witch Hunt, but I felt they might be a bit too heavy for a party list!

Yours,
Miranda.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 12:27:15 pm »

Here's a Podcast I did a couple of Halloween's back.
http://artemis1.podomatic.com/entry/2014-10-22T12_16_45-07_00

01 (Intro) The Doctor (of 'The Medics') – Mortal Dreams (1981) / Toto – 'Dune' Main Title (1984)
02 Bauhaus – Bela Lugosi's Dead (Monty Python Edit.) (1979)
03 Bob Marley – Dracula (Rockula's Vampire Version) (1967)
04 Warren Zevon – Werewolves Of London (Halloween Mix) (1978)
05 Roky Erickson - Night Of The Vampire (1982)
06 The Men That Will Not Be Blamed For Nothing - 3rd Class Coffin (2013)
07 Madness – Circus Freaks (2012)
08 King Hammond - Dancing In The Garden Of Evil (2012)
09 The Damned – Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde (1980)
10 Snake Dance 2K (Re-Recording) – Rosie Lugosi (of 'March Violets) & Dust To Dust (1999)
11 Frenchy And The Punk – Dark Carnivale (2010)
12 Pine Valley Cosmonauts (feat. Skid Marks & Sally Timms) – Homicide (999 cover 2003)
13 Poly Styrene – Ghoulish (2011)
14 Roy Richards – Death Rides A Horse (1969)
15 Tankus The Henge – Life Is A Grimm Tale (Sometimes) (2013)
16 The Sprites – George Romero (2006)
17 Missing Persons (featuring Dale Bozzio) – Walk Into The Sun (March Violets cover 2014)

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 02:02:09 pm »

Can't Sleep Clown Will Eat Me-Alice Cooper

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Mr. Syson
Officer

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 06:46:05 pm »

What about "Werewolves of London" by Paul Roland? Totally unrelated to the Warren Zevon song.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 07:19:18 pm »

"This is Halloween" by Danny Elfman would figure somewhere on my list.  I don't know quite exactly where, probably the first song to kick things off, but it would figure. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 07:39:14 pm »

Here's a Podcast I did a couple of Halloween's back.
http://artemis1.podomatic.com/entry/2014-10-22T12_16_45-07_00

01 (Intro) The Doctor (of 'The Medics') – Mortal Dreams (1981) / Toto – 'Dune' Main Title (1984)
02 Bauhaus – Bela Lugosi's Dead (Monty Python Edit.) (1979)
03 Bob Marley – Dracula (Rockula's Vampire Version) (1967)
04 Warren Zevon – Werewolves Of London (Halloween Mix) (1978)
05 Roky Erickson - Night Of The Vampire (1982)
06 The Men That Will Not Be Blamed For Nothing - 3rd Class Coffin (2013)
07 Madness – Circus Freaks (2012)
08 King Hammond - Dancing In The Garden Of Evil (2012)
09 The Damned – Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde (1980)
10 Snake Dance 2K (Re-Recording) – Rosie Lugosi (of 'March Violets) & Dust To Dust (1999)
11 Frenchy And The Punk – Dark Carnivale (2010)
12 Pine Valley Cosmonauts (feat. Skid Marks & Sally Timms) – Homicide (999 cover 2003)
13 Poly Styrene – Ghoulish (2011)
14 Roy Richards – Death Rides A Horse (1969)
15 Tankus The Henge – Life Is A Grimm Tale (Sometimes) (2013)
16 The Sprites – George Romero (2006)
17 Missing Persons (featuring Dale Bozzio) – Walk Into The Sun (March Violets cover 2014)

A fine list there, and thanks for the link to the podcast.

Can't Sleep Clown Will Eat Me-Alice Cooper

I did feel a little bad about leaving the king of shock-rock off my list. Another of his could be Feed My Frankenstein.

What about "Werewolves of London" by Paul Roland? Totally unrelated to the Warren Zevon song.

Another werewolf song - they do seem to be rather popular. I almost put in Ozzy Osbourne's Bark At The Moon on my list, plus you can pretty much appropriate any song with moon in it for them (particularly Bad Moon Rising).

"This is Halloween" by Danny Elfman would figure somewhere on my list.  I don't know quite exactly where, probably the first song to kick things off, but it would figure. 

Oh yes - watched the film again with my youngest yesterday; always feels like the start of the Halloween/Bonfire Night/Christmas season to me.

Yours,
Miranda.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 10:16:55 pm »

Hole in the Universe - The Destroyers

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 11:11:47 pm »

Hole in the Universe - The Destroyers

So that's where all my stockings and tights keep disappearing to  Cheesy

Yours,
Miranda.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2016, 03:25:48 pm »

Yes, but it's a well known fact that it only takes one of a pair.
AstorKaine
Officer

Officer Commanding, Martian Expeditionary Force

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2016, 03:30:37 pm »

I would humbly submit In the Hall of the Mountain King, by Nero and the Gladiators.

Oh, and 'Something Wicked' by Vernian Process.
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2016, 12:49:36 am »

HOw many pages do you want ? Here's a start.

WITH HER HEAD TUCKED UNDERNEATH HER ARM
performed by Stanley Holloway.  

THE BORGIA ARE HAVING AN ORGY
performed by Hermione Gingold

CREEPY DOLL
RE YOUR BRAINS
Written and performed by Jonathan Coulton

PSYCHIC VOICEMAIL HOTLINE
PQR (YOU AIN’T SEEN NOTHING YET)
 HELLRAISER  
COULROPHOBIA (SCARY CLOWNS)
TELLY TALEY HEART (Edgar Allen Poe set to the music of Billy Ray Cirus)
by Tom Smith

Myrddin
Swab

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2016, 09:38:52 pm »

I recently put together a playlist for my coven's upcoming Samhain celebration and for it I wanted to convey the feeling of being deliciously, powerfully dark.  Think of your favorite movie witch and imagine what her "get ready" playlist would sound like.  Themes were femme fatales, dark magic, and sexy vocals.

Paint it Black by Ciara - yes the original is so good that to suggest this version is a kind of sacrilege but it fit the mood better and I've enjoyed it since I heard it in the Last Witch Hunter soundtrack.  I think this would be the most controversial choice so I put it first.  Listen to it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYPWxymohWs

House of the Rising Sun by Lauren O'Connell - I thought I would get all the controversial covers out of the way first.  This was the version used in the promos for American Horror Story Coven.  Listen to it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmyecoW67kg

Voodoo by Godsmack: Oh look a non cover.  Watch the very fun video starring famed Salem witch Laurie Cabot here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SSUQxGjZZ4

Falling in Love Again either by Christina Aguilera or the divine Marlene Dietrich - Keeping with the femme fatale vibe of the playlist.  For the event I used the Aguilera version but the original is too good not to include.
Christina Version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdLhXTGH58s
Marlene Version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiM7G6bqlPQ

Full Moon by Elvira - the list so far has been fairly heavy so it needed something to lighten it up and there is just no one like the Mistress of the Dark for that.  Listen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpyBBozDJAI

Yes, if there is a theme it's probably high camp; I see that

Also on the list:

I Put a Spell On You by Nina Simone - a few others listed this song, I love Screamin' J but there is only Nina for me.  Listen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua2k52n_Bvw

I'd Rather Be Burned as a Witch by Eartha Kitt - another fun, upbeat track was needed to bring the list up again so I included this gem.  Listen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-_9WtdYlQA

Return of the Mother by Nina Hagen - A very different, more hard rock sound than the rest of the list but it has that dark feminine bada$$ery that I was going for.  Listen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB7RUvSdzTA

Corrupt You by Karissa Noel - my tastes might not be for everyone but this fit for me in the femme fatale playlist.  Listen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1tzVPepicI

Marie Laveau by Doctor John - the list needed some history in it and who doesn't love Doctor John?  Listen to it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFnZxkWn6Kw

So its' a more specific list than Halloween music but it went over well at the event. 

Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2016, 12:59:00 am »

A montage of "My Boy Lollipop" & "Candy Girl" might work...

I meant "medley", I think.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 04:15:46 pm by Will Howard » Logged

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2016, 02:32:53 pm »

Let's start with the Rock 'n Roll Monsters (Lordi):
Blood Red Sandman
Or:
Devil is a Loser (there's even a Hallowe'en party going on in the video).
Or perhaps:
Would You Love a Monsterman?

Now we've picked one of those, a guy whose first steps into music were tuning novelty car horns. (Ozzy Osbourne-Let Me Hear You Scream)

Don't accept a ride from Rob Zombie! (Drag-u-la)

Then take a ride on the Ghost Train with the Boneyard Circus.

Once you arrive Don't Pay The Ferryman until he gets you to the other side! There's crocs in there! (Chris de Burgh)

And beware the man with no life in His Eyes. (Pseudo Echo)

Be mObscene! (Mar1lyn Man50n)

Don't mess around with those plants, Belladonna and Aconite! (Incubus Succubus)

The Sham-ettes toured with Sam the Sham and the Pharoahs, and sang this counterpoint to Hey There L'il Red Riding Hood, from Red's perspective: Hey There Big Bad Wolf.

This Is Hallowe'en! (Mar1lyn Man5on)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 02:43:23 pm by chironex » Logged

Orkses is never beaten in battle. If we wins we wins and if we dies we dies fightin' so it don't count as beat. Even if we runs away it means we can always come back for anuvver go, see!

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2016, 07:05:30 pm »

Here is my list
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwVgbvbumWK84SkuGN9FilMWb9uw0YbTZ
Contains music by
Timeless miracle,
Powerwolf,
Warren Zevon Warewolves of london,
Niic (just for a bit of humour)
Man with a Mission,
Backstreet Boys,
Alestorm,
Blaster Jax,
Xandria

Fishmen

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2016, 01:56:23 pm »

Have you considered instrumentals? I have a load of gaming background music in my collection right now, but much of it appears to be too busy and musical to play in the background of an RPG.
http://www.midnightsyndicate.com/music/
I have The 13th Hour and Gates of Delirium.
http://www.noxarcana.com/music.html

And then, this: http://www.thenightterrors.com/new-video-and-new-album/
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2016, 01:35:57 pm »

Well, this Halloween I will mostly be playing this (which I just bought on creepy black vinyl Wink )

https://1313mockingbirdlane.bandcamp.com/
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2016, 07:53:48 pm »

This one by the Ghastly Ones (or pretty much anything by them)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWnOfwsvZWU

Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish

www.steampunkdj.co.uk  Please follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SteampunkDJ & Facebook https://www.facebook.com/steampunkdj
Sludge Van Diesel
Zeppelin Captain
England England

SteampunkDJ.co.uk

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2016, 09:05:07 pm »

Messer Chups - Moriarty Woogie (also a lot of theirs)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYKgZEAxbUU

Messer Chups - Tremolo From The Crypt (thinking about it about half of their recorded output is suitable for Halloween)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC4uzkRmO4c

Messer Chups - Vincent Price Bible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-oHxx1rz2Y

The Moontrekkers - Night of the Vampire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8oBFIwB5rA

The Fuzztones - Happy Halloween
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtBz3rFsA8A
(they did a Halloween album if you can find it)

Another few suitable Ghastly Ones tracks

Dead Beat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K__l7MDWO6g

Diabolo's Theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkQsApGy8x0

Hangman Hangten
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAN9-CbxONs

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: