The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 17, 2017, 08:29:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Poll
Question: How radical should I go  ?
Stick to  rehanging the clothing racks - 0 (0%)
Subtle adjustment to the status qo - 2 (40%)
Move strategic fittings around - 1 (20%)
Rearrange the entire room - 0 (0%)
Do a retrospective make over on it - 0 (0%)
Go full steam on it in a diesel fueled frenzy - 2 (40%)
Total Voters: 5

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Urgent Surgical Transplant & Infusion Required  (Read 741 times)
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« on: October 01, 2016, 03:34:05 pm »

I have recently taken up another volunteer job. This time  it is the  worthy  cause of the North Taranaki  SPCA charity shop. The job is fun and the company is good. All manner of donated goods come through the doors and  customers are diverse. The shop interior,  in particular the  back room shop floor,  how ever is  really truly boring and uninviting. Space and shelving  is not utilised to its best advantage. There has been  rumblings from management about  a wish to  rearrange  boxes and shelves.  It has been expressed absent mindedly in my presence , almost as a desperate  subconscious plea to some one anyone to fix it.  Most of the  workers are  older, repressed types  seeking a routine  and a distraction  from life's tribulation. They are happy to be cogs in the machine.  I prefer  free thinking, self expression  and the  opportunity for  positive subversion

The obstacles to change  as I see it are the general control freak behaviors around change that abound in volunteer work management,  size and shape  and practicality of  current donated shop fittings,  work and safety regulations,  lack of flair,  style and imagination on the part of  current staff.

So I have taken it upon myself to use the  the relative lack of supervision they give me  on the Thursday, after setting me to what ever tasks need autonomous  thinking , and  the unfettered Saturday morning with  only petty deputised management  to  over see  us;  as a chance to  make a definitive interior design  over haul.

So far I have  rearranged , refolded and rehung the  mens'  wear section [I channeled the Gap and Ralph Lauren  after some pants i found ].  The men in  North Taranaki  are  much better hung.  The next step was to  scout out the womens' plus sizes  from the general sections and  replenish the rack for the  curvy ladies.  Sorted the ladies tops into office, casual and surf style.  I made it  through the picture and frame box in the front room  to make a better display of it. 

Factors to take into consideration : This is the  New Plymouth family store branch, with another more vintage boutique style store  in the CBD antique sector; the stock and customers are of a  more plebeian type at my branch.  They could be alienated if the store appears to exclusive or niche retail.

Management may get too freaked out if I went large immediately. I could face strong resistance as a knee jerk reaction   to change  and any perceive threat to their  authority or position.

Safety regulations around free standing  shelves.  There may be issues around placement of shelves and  cabinets I am not aware of.  Subtle questions may be required.

All suggestions, remarks  and warnings are welcome

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 03:45:58 pm »

This is the current sad state of affairs
Pirated from their Facebook page

Back room

front room

They can obviously attract a  better class of customer on occasion
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 04:01:20 pm »

a selection of inspiration shots for your  perusal

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 04:44:36 pm »

Trigger Warning:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 09:33:29 pm »

The shop definitely looks like it needs some TLC. An appealing environment can make all the difference; a friend of ours looks after a number of charity shops in the area and her styling has made a real difference to their custom. As you have done, this was partly through good organisation of the stock, but she's also used some simple presentation tricks - scarves over display surfaces to make them more intersting, grouping together matching items such as shoes and jewelry into a mini-display and such-like. She has seasonal themes - for example, a tray with sand, shells and ornamental boats during the summer. However, from the sound of things the best approach might be a little change at a time rather than scaring the regulars with a rapid revamp.

Yours,
Miranda.
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 10:14:21 pm »

I once worked at the back of a charity shop, sorting out donations.  When I said that I would like to use the table for sorting rather than just emptying the bags onto the floor and sorting from there, there was great opposition.  It did not affect anyone else but me. But it did show me the sort of person I was dealing with.  Good luck, but be prepared for opposition, if your managers are anything like the ones i had to deal with.  *hug*
RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 10:59:23 pm »

Unless you manage to find the fixtures from an American Banana Republic store from the mid 1980's, you may need to rule out the use of a fiberglass elephant or replica jeep front end in your decorating.
von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 11:12:59 pm »

Based on your description, I would advocate for the subversive approach - make a few small changes at a time and see if anyone squawks. Over time, the small improvements will add up.

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Serrac
Officer

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 12:15:45 am »

The men in  North Taranaki  are  much better hung.

This could be taken in sooo many ways.....  Shocked

If I leave my grin behind, remind me that we are all mad here. (SJ Tucker: Cheshire kitten)
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 12:49:03 am »

The shop definitely looks like it needs some TLC. An appealing environment can make all the difference; a friend of ours looks after a number of charity shops in the area and her styling has made a real difference to their custom. As you have done, this was partly through good organisation of the stock, but she's also used some simple presentation tricks - scarves over display surfaces to make them more intersting, grouping together matching items such as shoes and jewelry into a mini-display and such-like. She has seasonal themes - for example, a tray with sand, shells and ornamental boats during the summer. However, from the sound of things the best approach might be a little change at a time rather than scaring the regulars with a rapid revamp.

Yours,
Miranda.

Dear Miranda

Thank you for your  fairly excellent  suggestions  and judicious summation of the situation  .   I too had thought   displaying goods in attractive but practice application  as sets or in a diorama  would enhance appeal and encourage purchase of several items  as an out fit  or set.  This   could  apply equally to clothing and accessories  or house ware .

With only several hours available to me   2 days  a week  , it will be a covert  missio  and subtle transition ; )
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2016, 12:51:02 am »

Unless you manage to find the fixtures from an American Banana Republic store from the mid 1980's, you may need to rule out the use of a fiberglass elephant or replica jeep front end in your decorating.

Never under estimate what people donate  or what turns up from a deceased estate  !
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2016, 01:02:01 am »

I once worked at the back of a charity shop, sorting out donations.  When I said that I would like to use the table for sorting rather than just emptying the bags onto the floor and sorting from there, there was great opposition.  It did not affect anyone else but me. But it did show me the sort of person I was dealing with.  Good luck, but be prepared for opposition, if your managers are anything like the ones i had to deal with.  *hug*

... we have never used a table for this before... 

One of the older women is having similar issues being able to put separated   items straight into bag for sending  items elsewhere ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: