The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 18, 2017, 04:12:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help Completing an Outfit  (Read 735 times)
annevpreussen
Gunner
United States United States

Captain Annemarie of the Eagle's Arrow Airship

« on: September 29, 2016, 09:01:06 pm »

Hello! It's nice to meet you all! I'm Annemarie and I'm very new (meaning I joined this wonderful forum roughly thirty minutes ago), though I've been into steampunk for about four years.

I'm going to a convention fairly soon and I plan to wear one of my steampunk outfits one (or two) of the days, but the trousers I usually wear have a huge rip in them that I cannot fix. I'd love some help with trying to figure out another solution.

The outfit currently consists of a reddish-brown filigree-print corset with brass clasps and black lacing/edging, A cream mid-sleeve bolero jacket with lace, knee-high brown buckle boots, my trusty goggles, brown leather gloves, a modded Nerf gun because I'm basic, and various other accessories (black and brass choker necklace, belts, loop bracelets, gun holster, earrings). I'm considering replacing the jacket-over-corset combo with a corset-over-loose dress shirt <s>if I feel like it, that is.</s>

Does anyone have advice on what to wear to complete this outfit? Should I try to find the same kind of trousers I had before? Should I experiment? Any tips on how to improve this look would be greatly appreciated!

I wear goggles so you can't see when I'm staring at you.
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 11:16:09 pm »

Perhaps Jodhpurs to replace your damaged trousers.  Here is a current sewing pattern from Simplicity that shows what I mean.

http://www.simplicity.com/simplicity-pattern-8114-misses-steampunk-costumes/8114.html
frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 11:42:54 pm »

Can you post a pic of your outfit?

My first thought was a large patch in contrasting fabric, maybe pleated with a frill along the base.  Make a feature of the repair.
annevpreussen
Gunner

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 01:15:30 am »

walking stick (uh, I don't quite know how to reply to people on here? I should probably learn that...), jodhpurs sound like a great idea! I used to ride horses, and while I don't have any old-style pairs with the loose thighs, I do have a few tight jodhpurs that might look nice! I also really like the pattern you linked me to, but since I'm very much an amateur at sewing, I don't think I should tackle that project just yet. Thank you so much!

frances, do you mean just mend the original outfit in a really obvious way? I think that would be a good solution-- if the tear wasn't in the crotch area. O.O A patch would look great if it were on my thigh or something, but it'd maybe be a little odd in this situation! Sadly, I don't have any pictures of myself in this outfit where you can see the whole outfit (it's sort of a mashup of my favorite pieces of a few others). Sorry! But thank you for the advice Smiley
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 06:36:42 am »

I think the riding pants you have would work well but, yes, please give us a photo if you can.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 05:43:58 pm »

Why not sew some braid down the outside seam of the jodhpurs to add that extra something to the outfit?

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Miranda.T
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 06:37:35 pm »

Why not sew some braid down the outside seam of the jodhpurs to add that extra something to the outfit?

Or maybe fix up a bustle to drape down from the back of the corset?

Yours,
Miranda.

annevpreussen
Gunner

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 11:41:40 pm »

Okay, here's a picture of the base outfit tops with a few different layering styles. Which one do you like best?

A front and side view of the corset I'll probably be wearing. It's the very first one I ever got, so it's not the highest quality, but it means a lot to me (sorry for the terrible lighting).

And here's with a lacy jacket...

And a blouse underneath! This one has short sleeves, but I have another long-sleeve version.

I don't have any pictures of my jodhpurs right now, but they look like regular modern riding pants. I have them in black, dark gray, and the traditional tan.

That's a great idea! I think the right color and texture would help them tie back to the corset and accessories!

Or maybe fix up a bustle to drape down from the back of the corset?

I also really like the bustle idea. I was actually looking for a way to even out my hips in relation to the corset (it nips in my waist pretty well but I feel my hips themselves aren't round enough to nicely balance it out.

Thank you all so much for the advice! This community is so helpful and welcoming! Smiley

Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 09:56:31 pm »

Or perhaps you could echo the chains on the corset down the legs.  I mean I know they'd probably catch on everything but sometimes one has to put up with a little inconvenience to get the look.
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

Fabricator and temporally confused.

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 10:51:10 pm »

It's a little hard to tell, but that looks like a roughly 1910 flat-front long-line corset to me.  Does it go all the way down over your hips the way they did? 

Do you wear it over the trousers?  If so you'll want something with a very flat waist seam.

Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying
annevpreussen
Gunner

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2016, 03:26:27 am »

Or perhaps you could echo the chains on the corset down the legs.  I mean I know they'd probably catch on everything but sometimes one has to put up with a little inconvenience to get the look.

Ooh, that sounds like a lovely idea! I just found a nice pair of dark tan trousers for fairly cheap the other day (gotta love thrift shopping) that I'm considering wearing with this, but they're pretty plain. Maybe chains or buttons reminiscent of the ones on the corset would complete the look?

It's a little hard to tell, but that looks like a roughly 1910 flat-front long-line corset to me.  Does it go all the way down over your hips the way they did? 

Do you wear it over the trousers?  If so you'll want something with a very flat waist seam.

I got it for around $20 on Amazon, so it's probably not historically accurate! It doesn't go all the way over my hips; it just covers the top of them. I'd be wearing it over the trousers.

On a side note, you really know your corsets! Cheesy
WinterHaven
Snr. Officer
Latvia Latvia

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2016, 03:24:15 pm »

First thing I thought when I started reading was "Ooh that corset sounds lovely" so, thank you for the photos. Especially for the photo of the lacy Jacket which I love and am now going to try very hard to copy.

I like the idea of adding more chains to your lower half, it's something I've done myself on a skirt. One possible solution to the catching problem might be to use the same 'row of chains' style as the sides of your corset, but put them across the front.
Obviously this would work best on a skirt, but I've been toying with the idea of a very deep belt/very short skirt to go over trousers, fitted ones like modern jodphurs would work well I think.

Just a thought, and thank you for sharing  your pictures.

'If you were going to make a ghost-trap, how would you set about it? -particularly if you had not even a small ghost to practice on.' -Wyndham
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2016, 03:37:10 pm »

Have you seen the style of trousers that lace all the way up the side?  Possibilities for adaptation.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2016, 05:14:28 pm »

Use chain to lace up the sides ....
Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2016, 10:46:07 pm »

Ooooh
annevpreussen
Gunner

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2016, 08:57:56 pm »

First thing I thought when I started reading was "Ooh that corset sounds lovely" so, thank you for the photos. Especially for the photo of the lacy Jacket which I love and am now going to try very hard to copy.

I like the idea of adding more chains to your lower half, it's something I've done myself on a skirt. One possible solution to the catching problem might be to use the same 'row of chains' style as the sides of your corset, but put them across the front.
Obviously this would work best on a skirt, but I've been toying with the idea of a very deep belt/very short skirt to go over trousers, fitted ones like modern jodphurs would work well I think.

Just a thought, and thank you for sharing  your pictures.

Thanks for your comments, WinterHaven! The jacket is something that had been sitting in my closet for ages before I realized I could use it in one of my outfits! In fact, a lot of this look is being recycled from several different steampunk outfits. I think the jacket originally came from a Target or something!

I'm considering adding chains to the trousers not across the front, but in a manner walking stick and Cora Courcelle suggested...

Have you seen the style of trousers that lace all the way up the side?  Possibilities for adaptation.

Which I think would look very nice! It would tie in the corset with the rest of the outfit, and I think the trousers themselves would be quite the statement piece!

Again, thank you all for your help and opinions!
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2016, 06:54:03 am »

As chain doesn't stretch you may need to put some elastic sections into your lacing, metallic elastic is often available in Christmas supplies. 
Prof. Cecily
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2016, 07:26:22 am »

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen!
I like the look of the plain blouse under the corset.
Fabulous ideas you're receiving to steam up your outfit!

I remain yours,
Prof. Cecily
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2016, 10:21:32 pm »

Again, thank you all for your help and opinions!

It's a pleasure.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: