The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2017, 04:47:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help/Suggestions required please for centrepiece on back of coat  (Read 577 times)
AltheBiker
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Vroommmmm

« on: September 21, 2016, 12:33:58 pm »

I'm making an explorers tea coat. it's two old leather coats, one black, one brown cut up and riveted together. It's got loads of stuff on it already, but the main thing I need is a "centrepiece" for the back of it - between the shoulder blades... and I've run out of ideas.

There will be 4 3/4" clear plastic tubes leading to it from 2 horizontal brass tubes, one above and one below. So I have the idea of it being some sort of pulsating or rotating circular "engine" that the tubes connect to...

light:
Is a plasma ball too tacky ?
Would a circular arrangement of nixie tubes look good - but are they too fragile ?

"steam"
I looked at the steam generators for trains but they only last a few minutes and get very hot apparently
a USB powered water diffuser is embarrassingly pathetic
Some sort of smoke machine then, but is there a battery powered one anyone has used ?

Anything available with a spinning disc or fan or something that is battery powered and I could modify ? I'd prefer something I can take apart rather than build

Will try and post a couple of photos when I get home

al

Music and Toast in Darkness
walking stick
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 01:03:11 pm »

Glass nixie tubes are, in my opinion, unsuitable for clothing.
A plasma disc is more reasonable than a plasma ball merely for getting through doorways, sitting in chairs etc.
You might add something made with LED badges.
Look at the Halloween stuff, there may be something fun to repurpose.  It's usually well worth a look
Between Halloween and Christmas there are often a lot of decorations and costume pieces useful for steampunk projects.
AltheBiker
Gunner

Vroommmmm

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 02:15:06 pm »

ahhhhh, plasma DISC, never thought of that !

thanks

Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 04:12:39 pm »

Something with an E-cig Vaping device?  I don't know much about how they work but there always seems to be a trickle of 'smoke' when someone is using one.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
AltheBiker
Gunner

Vroommmmm

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 04:25:22 pm »

vaping device, now there's a thought
Hektor Plasm
Zeppelin Captain

All-Round Oddfellow.

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 05:05:51 pm »

Perhaps (in addition, why not  Grin ) a rotating 'Hypnotic Disk' whirly thing?

You could have a little sign under it that says: "You are in my power, Old Bean"

Grin

HP

"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 06:42:25 pm »

Would a metallic box with a grill and gages be appropriate? 
steiconi
Gunner
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 07:10:24 pm »

Because of the location, I immediately thought of wings.  You could rig them to flap with a simple motor.  But that doesn't sound like where you're going.
You could adapt a computer fan to battery power.  And there are small battery motors available cheap.
Or a clock movement, and substitute discs for hands.

Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2016, 09:50:29 am »

What about a tiny infinity mirror.  I used a Christmas rope light to make an 18 inch diameter one for my nephew a few years back and the continuous spiral of light made it look like an SF film worm hole.  For one small enough to put on your back you could use el wire.
You could make the leather around the "hole" look a little burnt and say you lost the ray gun fight.

(I have wanted to try this for a few years but it never goes with my outfits  Wink )
Wilhelm Smydle
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 05:55:13 am »

Its of options depending on what's available.
A faux escutcheon plate in plastic with rub and buff.
Add a H harness style setup for anything heavy.
Maybe vasaline/uranium glass with a few black lights/LEDs set to light in sequence.

RJBowman
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 06:12:11 am »

Plasma disk would be good. You could pad the jacket around the disk to make it look like it is recessed into your back; kind of like Tony Stark's heart reactor.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: