The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2017, 04:25:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Could you power the internet using steam?  (Read 942 times)
Charlie Knill
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2016, 03:55:17 pm »

I got the information about steam turbines havig been replaced since the 1980's by gas turbines and diesel engines from  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_turbine which is probably not the most reliable source of information.
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2016, 04:10:10 pm »

I got the information about steam turbines havig been replaced since the 1980's by gas turbines and diesel engines from  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_turbine which is probably not the most reliable source of information.

The page that says "Because the turbine generates rotary motion, it is particularly suited to be used to drive an electrical generator – about 90% of all electricity generation in the United States (1996) is by use of steam turbines"

Or are you talking about the use on boats, in a mobile situation where weight is more important than power output, and which is irrelevant to internet infrastructure.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 04:11:43 pm by Dr Fidelius » Logged

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Cora Courcelle
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2016, 04:16:15 pm »

The quote about turbine use since the eighties seems to be referring directly to ships.

You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: